Unions' Creepy Push Against Secret Ballot

Assuming that everything you say is true, your experience is not in accord with the overwhelming majority of employees in a similar situation.
It is the only experience I have to measure by.

People came to me, because my FIL is a labor attorney, with their complaints. What the union guys did is not cool at all. They even went to people's houses attempting to get them to file cards that they wouldn't at work. I assume they think there is less pressure from fellow employees at home, but these people felt intimidated by that action.

I personally didn't have a manager that suggested it, but some of the groups had closed door meetings suggesting that we would be closed if we didn't join the union as we wouldn't be able to take on work from the union shops. (Total rubbish, we have more work than ever before).

The second time, the time I didn't actively fight it, they collected enough cards for a vote, and we won on the vote. Without it, the actual voice of the employees would not have been heard. Those who were intimidated by the union guys would have had their voice taken from them by fear.

Fix the vote, it doesn't fix anything by taking that away.

Please. Only in America are unions constantly blamed for causing horrible companies to fail.
I don't blame unions. In fact there are places that need them badly. Like Convenience store workers. Third most dangerous job in the US, one of the least paid.

When unions become the kool aid drinkers for one of the political parties, it is a sign that their usefulness in the company as a voice for all the employees has come to an end.

Please. Only in America are unions constantly blamed for causing horrible companies to fail.

If the unions press for more and more when the companies cannot handle it, then the unions should be held accountable.

A prime example is the UAW. The big 3 car makers pay an average of $2 an hour more per employee than do Toyota, Nissan and Honda. And yet the big 3 don't produce any better vehicles. In fact, they have been shown to produce crappier vehicles.

When you have to compete head to head, that $80 a week multiplied by several thousand employees can do some serious harm.

If the unions press for more and more when the companies cannot handle it, then the unions should be held accountable.

A prime example is the UAW. The big 3 car makers pay an average of $2 an hour more per employee than do Toyota, Nissan and Honda. And yet the big 3 don't produce any better vehicles. In fact, they have been shown to produce crappier vehicles.

When you have to compete head to head, that $80 a week multiplied by several thousand employees can do some serious harm.

In Denmark 90% of the workforce is unionized. Their companies are perfectly competitive on an international stage.

I think there is a little of corporate marketing into blaming unions for the decline of companies. Most companies can definitely afford to pay their workers a little more.

The key to your statement is "They have been shown to produce crappier vehicles..."

What will be interesting is the political aspect of it for Obama. This is a major issue for the unions who feel their support put Obama over the top. Many small business owners supported Obama but supposedly the free choice act is the number one item on their agenda that they don't want passed. We'll see how Obama handles it.

Hmm, seems to me that there ought to be a right to keep and bear something that prevents this intimdation. If only someone, somewhere had thought of putting something like that in a bill of rights or something.

Assuming that everything you say is true, your experience is not in accord with the overwhelming majority of employees in a similar situation.
And according to my FIL who practiced law here as a Labor Attorney, my experience with the union is not all that rare.

He did tell me that he had never seen a company quite so "pro-union" as ours, but he realized it wasn't the upper management pushing for it.

All intimidation by either side happened before the vote. The vote was the only part of it that was comfortable.

And according to my FIL who practiced law here as a Labor Attorney, my experience with the union is not all that rare.

He did tell me that he had never seen a company quite so "pro-union" as ours, but he realized it wasn't the upper management pushing for it.

All intimidation by either side happened before the vote. The vote was the only part of it that was comfortable.

to be honest, two things. one, i don't believe it happened as you say it happened. and two, i don't care. at all.

the facts are, that as unions have lost their power, so has labor. that needs to be changed.

i couldn't care less about your personal experience. i care about what is best for the overwhelming amount of workers.

to be honest, two things. one, i don't believe it happened as you say it happened. and two, i don't care. at all.

the facts are, that as unions have lost their power, so has labor. that needs to be changed.

i couldn't care less about your personal experience. i care about what is best for the overwhelming amount of workers.
Again, I am not anti-union in the way you think I am. I am against the union here, yes. They reek.

Unions have their place and were generally good for us as a population. You won't get an argument from me on that.

I do believe that taking away that secret ballot would be a mistake, it would take out the one part where the employees here felt the process was fair.

Hmm, seems to me that there ought to be a right to keep and bear something that prevents this intimdation. If only someone, somewhere had thought of putting something like that in a bill of rights or something.

lmao

Yeah, if only.

GUNS ARE TEH ANSERH TO EVERYTHING YAY KILLING IS SO FUN HAHAHAHAHA~! I LOVE TAKING LIFE!

I would do pretty much anything that would drive up middle and working class wages from their current stagnant levels.

Activities like breathing.

If the breathing is of someone who is trying to harm me or my family, then you betcha.

If its just someone trying to intimidate me, then there is not need to stop their breathing. In fact, the fear that produces the fight or flight response will speed up their breathing.

yes that's right, because if someone's pressuring you to join a union, or, to not join a union, you should be allowed to shoot them.

what a great solution.

They are also pretty good at stopping ones like raping and burglary.

this thread has nothing to do with rape or burglary, and he specifically referenced what it does have to do with "intimidation like this". this being what is described in this thread.

and only a lunatic would start talking gun shit under the circumstances.

Back