Was slavery good good black people?

They care nothing about Trump policy or politics, they care only about the man. They will defend whatever he says or does. This is about their devotion to a sky daddy on earth.

I don’t think a case can be made that it benefited any person who was ever a slave

If you make that case

I have some ideas you should ponder
Agreed.

Note the irony of the people who are screaming about their freedom being taken away by the Woke Soshulists also saying slavery was good for black people. LOL

IIrony

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/floridas-new-education-standards-says-slavery-had-personal-benefits/
Florida's new Black history curriculum says "slaves developed skills" that could be used for "personal benefit"

It’s you who wants it painted in pretty colors

That's simply not true at all... read about the curriculum that is being suggested it's pretty comprehensive... that should make you another very happy.. unless you're just complaining to complain...as usual...

Are you trying to tell me that you're disappointed this was not included in the new Florida curriculum?

Teach the truth

Learning a trade while being a slave?

If they were free they would learn a trade by getting paid to do that work

It’s a horrible bit of fucking brain dead evil to claim it

It’s the kind of thing a slave owner would say while eating a black baby for lunch

Read the entire curriculum
...don't cherry pick and then take a statement out of context...what you posted is clearly explained and defined...https://www.cbsnews.com/news/floridas-new-education-standards-says-slavery-had-personal-benefits/

They don't want to do that, if they don't take it out of context and misrepresent it they realize we can see that their "outrage" is really just the normal political poutrage and fake "gnashing of the teeth"...

Just get your fist ready to scream often, that way everyone thinks it is somehow illegal to say "gay" in Florida now, that they (folks in Florida) think slavery was good, and books that depict graphic sex scenes are somehow appropriate in an Elementary School.

They don't want to do that, if they don't take it out of context and misrepresent it they realize we can see that their "outrage" is really just the normal political poutrage and fake "gnashing of the teeth"...

Just get your fist ready to scream often, that way everyone thinks it is somehow illegal to say "gay" in Florida now, that they (folks in Florida) think slavery was good, and books that depict graphic sex scenes are somehow appropriate in an Elementary School.

Exactly... that sums it up...

In what way is teaching about what benefits slaves attained taken out of context? I don’t expect you can give an honest answer…

In what was is Amanda Gorman’s poem a depiction of graphic sex?

In what way is MLK’s letter from a Birmingham Jail a graphic depiction of sex?

How about Ann Franks Diary?

Exactly... that sums it up...

I remember what is was like growing up in the fifties.

No problem with kids seeing people shoot each other dead in the movies or on TV,
but sex scenes were verboten. Even a glimpse of a female breast was a scandal.

Europeans thought we were fucked up,
and as far as I'm concerned, they were 100% right.

Nice derail. Do you think slaves are more properly called "workers"? Do you think slavery is good for people? Anyone?

BTW, the Floridians are, indeed, teaching that slavery had benefits for slaves: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...eople-benefited-slavery-taught-usef-rcna95418
New Florida standards teach students that some Black people benefited from slavery because it taught useful skills
The standards, which were blasted by a statewide teachers' union as a "step backward," were approved Wednesday by the State Board of Education.

Florida’s public schools will now teach students that some Black people benefited from slavery because it taught them useful skills, part of new African American history standards approved Wednesday that were blasted by a state teachers' union as a “step backward.”

The Florida State Board of Education’s new standards includes controversial language about how “slaves developed skills which, in some instances, could be applied for their personal benefit,” according to a 216-page document about the state’s 2023 standards in social studies, posted by the Florida Department of Education.

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/06/30/texas-slavery-involuntary-relocation/
State education board members push back on proposal to use “involuntary relocation” to describe slavery
The Texas State Board of Education is fielding proposals to update the state’s public school social studies curriculum this summer.

A group of Texas educators have proposed to the Texas State Board of Education that slavery should be taught as “involuntary relocation” during second grade social studies instruction, but board members have asked them to reconsider the phrasing, according to the state board’s chair.

“The board -- with unanimous consent -- directed the work group to revisit that specific language,” Keven Ellis, chair of the Texas State Board of Education said in a statement issued late Thursday.

The working group of nine educators, including a professor at the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, is one of many such groups advising the state education board to make curriculum changes. This summer, the board will consider updates to social studies instruction a year after lawmakers passed a law to keep topics that make students “feel discomfort” out of Texas classrooms. The board will have a final vote on the curriculum in November.

The suggested change surfaced late during its June 15 meeting that lasted more than 12 hours. Board member Aicha Davis, a Democrat who represents Dallas and Fort Worth, brought up concerns to the board saying that wording is not a “fair representation” of the slave trade. The board, upon reading the language in the suggested curriculum, sent the working draft back for revision.

“For K-2, carefully examine the language used to describe events, specifically the term ‘involuntary relocation,’” the state board wrote in its guidance to the work group.

“I can’t say what their intention was, but that’s not going to be acceptable,” Davis told The Texas Tribune on Thursday. In 2015, Texas attracted attention when it was discovered a social studies textbook approved for use in the state called African slaves who were brought to the United States, “workers”

In this case, the group proposing these second grade curriculum revisions was given a copy of Senate Bill 3, Texas’ law that dictates how slavery and issues of race are taught in Texas. The law states that slavery can’t be taught as part of the true founding of the United States and that slavery was nothing more than a deviation from American values.

I remember what is was like growing up in the fifties.

No problem with kids seeing people shoot each other dead in the movies or on TV,
but sex scenes were verboten. Even a glimpse of a female breast was a scandal.

Europeans thought we were fucked up,
and as far as I'm concerned, they were 100% right.
remember we're talking about school curriculum...I but I hear what you're saying...

remember we're talking about school curriculum...I but I hear what you're saying...

School curricula should, one imagines, have certain reasonable guidelines,

but the reality is that "community standards" differ radically within the US.

That's why local yokels elected in local elections are on the school committees
when I'd rather have the PhDs in the Department of Education run the schools centrally

I also wish that public education were funded from the general treasury rather than local property taxes,
but as with the rest of it, I seem to be in the minority.

I think that local control over education allows the socially primitive regions to keep falling further and further behind, intellectually,
and this negatively impacts the entire nation because the unsophisticated have more political power than their numbers warrant.

As a matter of fact, I'd move the Department of Education from DC to Boston,
thus ensuring that the entire nation gets a shot at superior education as that which we have here.

I suppose that I've made this point before, but repetition happens on JPP.

School curricula should, one imagines, have certain reasonable guidelines,

but the reality is that "community standards" differ radically within the US.

That's why local yokels elected in local elections are on the school committees
when I'd rather have the PhDs in the Department of Education run the schools centrally

I also wish that public education were funded from the general treasury rather than local property taxes,
but as with the rest of it, I seem to be in the minority.

I think that local control over education allows the socially primitive regions to keep falling further and further behind, intellectually,
and this negatively impacts the entire nation because the unsophisticated have more political power than their numbers warrant.

As a matter of fact, I'd move the Department of Education from DC to Boston,
thus ensuring that the entire nation gets a shot at superior education as that which we have here.

I suppose that I've made this point before, but repetition happens on JPP.
I agree with your first sentence...;) But... the last people who should be in charge of any kind of curriculum/educational decisions are the people in the Department of Education... I sat through many federal reviews and the majority of the people who came hadn't been in a classroom in many years if ever at all... they had no clue what was going on and they certainly were not the ones to tell us what we should be teaching or how we should be handling the kids in our classes... The problem with funding is that it's not properly appropriated... I very rarely got money or supplies that I requested... we were all used to spending out of pocket but that's for another discussion someday... as for local yokel of schools, it's definitely been heading in the wrong direction as of late... but we're all working hard on reversing that pattern.. In the meantime our little Community Schools are among the Top systems in the state...so there's that...;) Are Boston Ciyy Schools doing well? What's the secret ? Large systems generally have problems these days... we need to go back to basics... that would solve a lot of problems...

Back