We are moving to a new server... tonight it looks like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We always hated it when we got a shutdown warning on the UNIX systems. That was late 80's, early 90's.

I used to work in an environment where I was responsible for a Worldwide network. If the Mainframes went down or the network, it would cost my company about a million dollars a minute, leaving over 20,000 high tech workers sitting on their hands until the damn thing came back up.

We had better known what the problem was immediately, and already be applying some bypass resolution or OUR HEADS WOULD BE ROLLED down the hallway.

Last edited:
A temporary shutdown and a potential loss of data.

0D4Uihj.gif

The database had a small corruption and it just got worse as it went along. I had to find a very old database backup to find one without the corruption. I do not know why it finally died, but when it did it was spectacular.

The server company worked very hard trying to find an uncorrupted backup. But they didn't have one. I had about a month's worth of backups but they were all corrupted. I found a few from earlier on, all but one were corrupted. So I restored the site to the latest uncorrupted database.

We've lost quite a few posts. For that I am sorry.

There will be some hiccoughs... Some users will have to sign up again, if you joined after May 3rd, 2014... Sorry. You have to start from scratch. There was no way that I know to save the user dbase... And if I reload it now it could cause issues for people.

And in the future I will actually "restore" from a backup into a secondary dbase to verify that I have valid backups once per month. I refuse to go through this again.

I guess the liberals were kicking ass so much "they" (the moderation team) had to set this up so they could get a good excuse for erasing the last few months.

Interesting....I have not been having any tech issues at all....this board is probably the least glitchy of any place I have ever been.

Interesting....I have not been having any tech issues at all....this board is probably the least glitchy of any place I have ever been.

Some people, including myself, have experienced some glitches.

1. The circle thingy keep spinning after the reply button is clicked
2. The search function takes a while to respond
3. MySQL failures here and there
4. And of course no response from JPP server

Hello Damocles,

Tonight 07/02/2021, sometime near midnight MDT (UTC -6, so around 6 AM for the Brits) we will be moving the dbase and site to a new managed server.

The site will likely be down for several hours, it should be back up in the AM, better than ever.

I have decided it will help us if we have a bit more bandwidth and memory as well as some upgraded software. We are also moving to the Cloud for better backup, etc.

I hope this isn't too much of an issue, and that it actually migrates better than it has in the past (often they just forget the databases and cause some time lapse).

Know that the site is not going down forever, at the very least I will have a database copy just before I shut it down that I can use to bring stuff back into service if they hose this up for me.

Thanks for your patience.

Thank you for everything you do.

Translation: 'I have pledged to crush TOP by any means possible. If it comes to a 'maintenance error' during normal business, I can claim innocence. (My Degree from Trump University is paying off)'.

You have a Trump U degree? And here we all thought you were happy being a h.s. dropout. Congratulations, Jack! How much did it cost you?

Some people, including myself, have experienced some glitches.

1. The circle thingy keep spinning after the reply button is clicked
2. The search function takes a while to respond
3. MySQL failures here and there
4. And of course no response from JPP server

5. Sometimes when you hit post you get the endless spinning circle, then it throws up a query box asking you if you want to leave the page or not. If you say "yes" and then hit refresh, your post will show up.

5. Sometimes when you hit post you get the endless spinning circle, then it throws up a query box asking you if you want to leave the page or not. If you say "yes" and then hit refresh, your post will show up.

I always click no. Your post gets posted anyway with no double posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back