What is an alternative to welfare?

Lots of jobs to be found,,you just think you are too good for them

You have very little character. I feel sorry for your larents

Yeah I only worked for a pizza delivery company for almost 4 months before I found a permanent job. Man you are an idiot did you read anything on the first page?

From page 1

I worked temp jobs and even worked a pizza hut delivery gig at one point.

As you can see even with an overqualified background I still hustled. I made due of my circumstances and I never whined about it. But to you guys, the mere mentioning of my own personal circumstances amounts to whining because you guys don't want to hear about personal accounts that challenge your notion of the welfare system. As far as you feeling sorry for my parents, don't be because I'm sure my background compared to yours they'd probably laugh at you.

I've never known anyone with either of those two degrees.

What a background in philosophy with an emphasis on metaphysics and a background in psychology with an emphasis on neuropsychology? Some schools depending on where you go offer them some don't. At UCLA my undergraduate degree would be listed as Biopsychology. Because there is limited scientific classes you need it is still a bachlors of arts degree although since I had to take statistics neuroscience and computational psychology I still think psychology ought to be a science but that is my own personal opinion.

My more realistic solution would be issuing people a taker card. It would be very visible and noticeable, preferably bright red, so that you could not deny your status as a thief from the public coffers, and it would work to shame those into getting off the publics tit asap. You would use it to purchase food and receive other benefits. Once you get re-employed you pay back all the money you took from the government plus interest out of your wages.

Takers on welfare should be sterilized. It'd end poverty in a single generation.

Takers on welfare should be sterilized. It'd end poverty in a single generation.

The stupidest comment of today! So I guess homeowners who go through a terrible divorce or are laid off and have no suitable means to stay afloat that end up on welfare ought to be sterilized?

Seriously all you guys are doing is talking shit. Does anyone have a serious fucking response? I mean, I was told repeatedly not to take some of you guys seriously but it seems all you guys are doing is talking shit and not really offering any real fucking opinion. How can anyone have an opinion on welfare if none of you can answer for the outliers?

What a background in philosophy with an emphasis on metaphysics and a background in psychology with an emphasis on neuropsychology? Some schools depending on where you go offer them some don't. At UCLA my undergraduate degree would be listed as Biopsychology. Because there is limited scientific classes you need it is still a bachlors of arts degree although since I had to take statistics neuroscience and computational psychology I still think psychology ought to be a science but that is my own personal opinion.
Yet no job demand for those hardly at all!
I've read demand for degree articles for decades, never a mention.

Seriously all you guys are doing is talking shit. Does anyone have a serious fucking response? I mean, I was told repeatedly not to take some of you guys seriously but it seems all you guys are doing is talking shit and not really offering any real fucking opinion. How can anyone have an opinion on welfare if none of you can answer for the outliers?

You took a bunch of pre med type degrees with no job market.
Wtf did you expect

Yet no job demand for those hardly at all!
I've read demand for degree articles for decades, never a mention.

Actually there is a demand for psychologists, like I said Clinical Psychology is a generalized practice. There is a growing demand for psychologists:

"According to the Occupational Outlook Handbook, job growth for psychologists is expected to increase at an average rate over the next decade. Jobs are expected to grow by about 12 percent through the year 2018, which is the average growth rate predicted for all occupations. The increased demand for psychological services in hospitals, schools, social service agencies, mental health centers, substance abuse treatment clinics and private companies is expected to drive the need for more trained psychologists."

See:http://psychology.about.com/od/careersinpsychology/a/joboutlook.htm

A lot of Neuropsychologists are either in private practice, in the research fields, or in the clinical setting. If you are in a speacialized area the demand maybe different based on the needs of society. There is always a need for psychologists and specialized practioners. Also, the level of demand for some psychologist is based on the type of degree. If you have a masters in psychology some places will hire you but not on the same type of hiring level as those that have a doctorate. Surprising that you haven't heard this...

The stupidest comment of today! So I guess homeowners who go through a terrible divorce or are laid off and have no suitable means to stay afloat that end up on welfare ought to be sterilized?

Big monkey's parents would have benifited greatly from forced sterilization. Please do not knock it...

You took a bunch of pre med type degrees with no job market.
Wtf did you expect

Um, pre-med students don't take the same classes I take.....Apparently you guys don't know the difference between the liberal arts majors and science majors.

Pre-Med students take O-Chem (Organic Chemistry), Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Calculus etc

Liberal arts majors (take the psychology major for example) take Biology, Statistics (In my major stats is the highest math you can take to satisfy quantitative requirements) English, Chemistry. For my major in Neuropsychology taking Neuroscience was required. Med students don't need to take Neuroscience as Neuroscience was an elective.

Sorry if you don't know the difference but this is common knowledge for University students especially pre-med. BTW pre-med is not even a major. Most "pre-med" students major in Biology or Chemistry.

Um, pre-med students don't take the same classes I take.....Apparently you guys don't know the difference between the liberal arts majors and science majors.

Pre-Med students take O-Chem (Organic Chemistry), Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Calculus etc

Liberal arts majors (take the psychology major for example) take Biology, Statistics (In my major stats is the highest math you can take to satisfy quantitative requirements) English, Chemistry. For my major in Neuropsychology taking Neuroscience was required. Med students don't need to take Neuroscience as Neuroscience was an elective.

Sorry if you don't know the difference but this is common knowledge for University students especially pre-med. BTW pre-med is not even a major. Most "pre-med" students major in Biology or Chemistry.

Oh we know the difference, trust me.

You try social work yet? The fuck, man, you took majors you knew was 'moon or bust', and now you complain about the poor market for the skilks? Those majors look great in the coffeehouse, start lookng there. Look to your contacts and set up some research or volunteer work. exoand your social web. If you really wanted todo psychiatry than I hope you had a long term plan. uts a long term game, isnt it?

Hey, you could always get do rn, and pipeline up.

Also, if you wanted to opinions about a subject like welfare, why did you use yourself as an example? You asked fot hypotheticals, ya? Not real, practical, personalized solution to your particular problem?

Actually most of us do know the difference. Same as myself in the 70's. Majored in political science and sociology, with pre-law. Sorta like pre-med. ;) Yeah, after LSAT's, accepted to Northwestern. Unfortunately for legal profession, chose to marry instead. 15 years later, became a history teacher. 10 years later, became unemployed due to reduction in force. 3 years later, (now) have a permanent position that is likely the best job I've ever had. Not for ease, quite the contrary.

http://www.mooseheart.org/

Some are orphaned, most just have had a tough time, whether infants or teens or most likely something in between. Those that love them don't want them in state care, thus they applied for help.

I'd encourage anyone that wishes to comment, to search the links at the site.

I've been offered and accepted the position of family/teacher. Not going to be easy, but my 12 years as stay-at-home mom and 13 years as a middle school/high school teacher give me a bit of experience.

It's been a tough 3 years, but I'm very excited to take this position.

I'm likely to be a non-entity on this and other sites, but I'll check in when I can.

You try social work yet? The fuck, man, you took majors you knew was 'moon or bust', and now you complain about the poor market for the skilks? Those majors look great in the coffeehouse, start lookng there. Look to your contacts and set up some research or volunteer work. exoand your social web. If you really wanted todo psychiatry than I hope you had a long term plan. uts a long term game, isnt it?

I think anything to do with neuropsychology is important since the brain-body connection is so strong.

Then why don't you have a job, if demand is high

I just explained to you in detail and actually provided a link. I live in the state of California. As with most advanced degree programs jobs in the field of psychology want people who have doctorates not masters and although some facilities allow Masters qualified people, they are far and few and even with a masters in psychology, they are looking for people who have studied generalized psychology ergo, Clinical Psychology. My background is Neuropsych so unless I find a clinic willing to take a Masters qualified professional I'm S.O.L. all because specialized degrees narrows my chances as opposed to generalized practices like Clinical Psychology.

I don't see how this is not easy to understand......

Me: Neuropsychology-Study of brain and behavior and/or physiological functions in relation to psychological function

General: Clinical Psychology- Study of behavior in response to abnormal psychological distress which integrates science, theory and clinical knowledge to help alleviate, or prevent dysfunction.

So as you can see, my area is more specific as opposed to Clinical Psych, hence my opportunity is limited. The demand is for Clinical Psychologist not Neuropsychologist unless I have a doctorate and are pursuing research, have my own practice, or find a clinic where my services are retained (e.g Forensic Neuropsychologist). I don't see how this is so hard to grasp.

Back