What is an alternative to welfare?

Yes but what if you're laid off and the bills need to be paid next month and you cannot find a job right then and there?
Then you go and sign up for Workfare, just like you would for Welfare. If you are capable of working, then you should work to get the money. It doesn't have to be all that difficult or long, but we should get something for giving you a living. Unless there is a reason you can't work, a reason we should give you "welfare" it shouldn't be an option for you.

Hey, you could always get do rn, and pipeline up.

Also, if you wanted to opinions about a subject like welfare, why did you use yourself as an example? You asked fot hypotheticals, ya? Not real, practical, personalized solution to your particular problem?

I used myself because under the social idea that welfare is composed of "lazy people" I wanted to subject people to the idea that welfare isn't merely composed of complacent and lazy people and that, if in fact welfare is indeed composed of people who are lazy then how do we account for those who need welfare upon coming on hard times? What is the alternative? That was my point. To get people to answer to the outliers that they don't consider.

Actually most of us do know the difference. Same as myself in the 70's. Majored in political science and sociology, with pre-law. Sorta like pre-med. ;) Yeah, after LSAT's, accepted to Northwestern. Unfortunately for legal profession, chose to marry instead. 15 years later, became a history teacher. 10 years later, became unemployed due to reduction in force. 3 years later, (now) have a permanent position that is likely the best job I've ever had. Not for ease, quite the contrary.

http://www.mooseheart.org/

Some are orphaned, most just have had a tough time, whether infants or teens or most likely something in between. Those that love them don't want them in state care, thus they applied for help.

I'd encourage anyone that wishes to comment, to search the links at the site.

I've been offered and accepted the position of family/teacher. Not going to be easy, but my 12 years as stay-at-home mom and 13 years as a middle school/high school teacher give me a bit of experience.

It's been a tough 3 years, but I'm very excited to take this position.

I'm likely to be a non-entity on this and other sites, but I'll check in when I can.

Very inspiring story. That is why I majored in philosophy because I too, my freshman considered law school and even at a time studied the LSAT but as they say freshman students typically change their mind by their junior year which I did. I think the overall key to your post is indeed finding that job where you're happy.

I used myself because under the social idea that welfare is composed of "lazy people" I wanted to subject people to the idea that welfare isn't merely composed of complacent and lazy people and that, if in fact welfare is indeed composed of people who are lazy then how do we account for those who need welfare upon coming on hard times? What is the alternative? That was my point. To get people to answer to the outliers that they don't consider.

but you were unconvincing....we still believe you to be lazy......

Then you go and sign up for Workfare, just like you would for Welfare. If you are capable of working, then you should work to get the money. It doesn't have to be all that difficult or long, but we should get something for giving you a living. Unless there is a reason you can't work, a reason we should give you "welfare" it shouldn't be an option for you.

Ok. You seem to operate on Protestant Work Ethics so I'll respond by saying this. If you have nevcer been on welfare of have never signed up for EDD (Employment Development Department) it's quite hard to respond the way you do. The whole point of the EDD is to get you to find work. 90% of EDD is to get you to work and there is a cut off as to how much the EDD will support you. The support the EDD will provide you is basically half of your wage earnings. If you find a job or a temp job you must report how many hours you've worked so they can deduct how much they pay you (if you don't they find those earning themselves and may garnish your wages to recover what you didn't report). If or when EDD cuts you off if you protest you must speak to a judge and answer why you haven't found a job in the allotted time you were given.

In your local city there are EDD offices with computers that direct you to places with openings and every single one of them I went to had over 100 people. So while you're saying workfare I did do that. But you have to understand some people even in meager conditions must be able to sustain themselves.

You try social work yet? The fuck, man, you took majors you knew was 'moon or bust', and now you complain about the poor market for the skilks? Those majors look great in the coffeehouse, start lookng there. Look to your contacts and set up some research or volunteer work. exoand your social web. If you really wanted todo psychiatry than I hope you had a long term plan. uts a long term game, isnt it?

Regarding the post in red apparently you missed the following:

I'm going back in this fall to get a second Masters in Social Work (I cannot do the Ph.D program for Neuropsychology as I WORK full-time besides Neuropsychology is a specialized area and there aren't many jobs in that area as opposed to Clinical Psychology). In California the social work career is taking off especially if I can get licensed to be an LCSW or Licensed Clinical Social Worker which pays starting salary of $60k ($90k if you have some experience and are working for a for-profit hospital). So before you guys start talking shit about my "education choices" perhaps you inquire on what my educational background is first.

You said:

"you took majors you knew was 'moon or bust"

Psychology is not a bust and neither is Philosophy. But if you stop short of attaining a masters or a doctorate then yes there are very few next to none options. Pscyhology is a field in today's age meant to be pursued at the doctoral level. But as I've explained here, the problem with that is if you have a love for the more scientific aspects of brain and behavior, to specialize in biopsychology means that your opportunities become a lot slimer because you are more specialized in a particular area. Philosophy is more for people who either want to teach at the university/college level, or for people pursuing law school.

Since I double majored and later on changed my mind to pursue psychology I kept my second major in Philosophy because since I was almost done satisfying those requirements I decided to keep my second major. Besides, it looks cool in my apartment to know I have two B.A's in two fields which require a shit ton of reading and research.

You said:

"If you really wanted todo psychiatry than I hope you had a long term plan. uts a long term game, isnt it?"

Not sure where you're getting at but like I told THEDUDE psychiatry and Psychology are two different fields when it comes to the professional world. Although a Psychiatrist counsels the same as a psychologist, most psychiatrists implement medication as well as coping skills. Psychiatry requires medical school, Psychology requires graduate school. Psychiatry requires you to take the MCAT. Psychology requires you to take the GRE. Psychiatrists are medical doctors. Psychologists are doctors of Philosophy (Ph.D).

Not sure what you meant by that but let me clue you in...

To be a psychiatrist I'd have to apply to medical school. Since I've been on my own since the age of 18 it is nearly impossible to go to medical school and sustain an adult living even living on meager terms. For example, my first year of graduate school I rented a room. The room was about $500 in rent. I paid for my own food for the month (approximately $100) my car note (approximately $410 per month) and insurance (approximately $110 full coverage-I was under 30 at the time). Assuming I was accepted at a local medical school I couldn't possibly work to pay bills because I had no family that could take me in nor did I have the means to do such, so I had to choose the best logical route which is to go into a Masters degree program suitable for working adults like myself.

The only real difference between a psychologist and a psychiatrist is that a psychiatrist can issue medication. In a couple states (New Mexico being one) a psychologist can issue medications. The point is both require extensive schooling and although there are jobs for psychologist, most jobs at least the good paying careers aim towards generalized practice e.g Clinical Psychologist. Since my masters in Neuropsychology is specialized, unless I pursue my doctorate, I can't use my Neuropsychology degree unless I move out of state and right now it is not financially feasible. So as you can see, there are jobs in my field but unfortunately there are far and few in my state which is why I chose the social work path because there are many hospitals across the state of California not to mention county jobs that need social workers. Since a lot of my classes cross over and are accepted in the masters of social work program it cuts my time in school even less. So while to you, I've made a bad choice educationally it pretty much worked out in my favor with a change in career path.

Lots of excuses

Would you knock on each if your neighbors doors and ask them for money to support your lifestyle?

Regarding the post in red apparently you missed the following:

You said:

"you took majors you knew was 'moon or bust"

Psychology is not a bust and neither is Philosophy. But if you stop short of attaining a masters or a doctorate then yes there are very few next to none options. Pscyhology is a field in today's age meant to be pursued at the doctoral level. But as I've explained here, the problem with that is if you have a love for the more scientific aspects of brain and behavior, to specialize in biopsychology means that your opportunities become a lot slimer because you are more specialized in a particular area. Philosophy is more for people who either want to teach at the university/college level, or for people pursuing law school.

Since I double majored and later on changed my mind to pursue psychology I kept my second major in Philosophy because since I was almost done satisfying those requirements I decided to keep my second major. Besides, it looks cool in my apartment to know I have two B.A's in two fields which require a shit ton of reading and research.

You said:

"If you really wanted todo psychiatry than I hope you had a long term plan. uts a long term game, isnt it?"

Not sure where you're getting at but like I told THEDUDE psychiatry and Psychology are two different fields when it comes to the professional world. Although a Psychiatrist counsels the same as a psychologist, most psychiatrists implement medication as well as coping skills. Psychiatry requires medical school, Psychology requires graduate school. Psychiatry requires you to take the MCAT. Psychology requires you to take the GRE. Psychiatrists are medical doctors. Psychologists are doctors of Philosophy (Ph.D).

You picked a bad major if you're looking for readily available work (in that field). Best bet is to spend a few months at the gym and get a naval commission. Every school in the world offers online classes now so you can still work on your degree while making O-1 pay, and you have a better chance of getting relative experience in your field there than anywhere else.

For the record for the dumb asses making remarks on my educational background my undergraduate degree(s) are:

-Psychology w/ emphasis on Neuropsychology
-Philosophy w/ emphasis on Metaphysics

My Masters is in Neuropsychology

I'm going back in this fall to get a second Masters in Social Work (I cannot do the Ph.D program for Neuropsychology as I WORK full-time besides Neuropsychology is a specialized area and there aren't many jobs in that area as opposed to Clinical Psychology). In California the social work career is taking off especially if I can get licensed to be an LCSW or Licensed Clinical Social Worker which pays starting salary of $60k ($90k if you have some experience and are working for a for-profit hospital). So before you guys start talking shit about my "education choices" perhaps you inquire on what my educational background is first.

Lots of excuses

Ok let's debate....

highlight and prove where I've made excuses?

Prove it now. I'm going to love annihilating your reasoning.

You picked a bad major if you're looking for readily available work (in that field). Best bet is to spend a few months at the gym and get a naval commission. Every school in the world offers online classes now so you can still work on your degree while making O-1 pay, and you have a better chance of getting relative experience in your field there than anywhere else.

For Christ sake you guys cannot read and quite frankly it's beginning to be annoying. Psychology is not a bad major. There are jobs for Clinical Psychologists how many times have I said this in this godforsaken thread. There are jobs for Clinical Psychologists but like any profession when you specialize, the areas of availability become narrow and even more narrow if you stop short of attaining a masters or doctorate. This is true in a lot of fields. A Neurosurgeon is not an Emergency Department doctor because that is not their expertise and although they may know general medical information, an Emergency Doctor knows more about Emergent problems than a Neurosurgeon hence there is a limit to what a Neurosurgeon can do when it comes to medicine. The same Goddamn thing for someone who has a Masters Degree in Neuropsychology. I am limited to the opportunities around me not because of the fact that my masters is in Neuropsychology but because

(1) I am not doctorate level

(2) My specialty is in brain and behavior.

I don't see how any of what I've been saying is hard. Hence my decision to hold off the doctorate level and just pursue a second masters in social work since the social work profession is growing and there is an increasing market for LCSW's here.

I know you're trying to give me some advice but it seems your trying to take what I'm saying as if I've made a bad decision when I didn't especially when earlier on I said I decided to go back to school and get a second masters in a field I KNOW is growing. Neuropsychology will always be there but I currently cannot pursue doctorate level and work full time and maintain meager living so I made a sacrifice.

For Christ sake you guys cannot read and quite frankly it's beginning to be annoying. Psychology is not a bad major.
Then why the sob story?
There are jobs for Clinical Psychologists how many times have I said this in this godforsaken thread. There are jobs for Clinical Psychologists but like any profession when you specialize, the areas of availability become narrow and even more narrow if you stop short of attaining a masters or doctorate.
So, not readily available work for an undergrad? Huh, didn't I just say that? I'm pretty sure I did.
This is true in a lot of fields.
Yup.
A Neurosurgeon is not an Emergency Department doctor because that is not their expertise and although they may know general medical information, an Emergency Doctor knows more about Emergent problems than a Neurosurgeon hence there is a limit to what a Neurosurgeon can do when it comes to medicine. The same Goddamn thing for someone who has a Masters Degree in Neuropsychology.
Ok.
I am limited to the opportunities around me not because of the fact that my masters is in Neuropsychology but because

(1) I am not doctorate level

(2) My specialty is in brain and behavior.

I don't see how any of what I've been saying is hard. Hence my decision to hold off the doctorate level and just pursue a second masters in social work since the social work profession is growing and there is an increasing market for LCSW's here.

I know you're trying to give me some advice but it seems your trying to take what I'm saying as if I've made a bad decision when I didn't especially when earlier on I said I decided to go back to school and get a second masters in a field I KNOW is growing. Neuropsychology will always be there but I currently cannot pursue doctorate level and work full time and maintain meager living so I made a sacrifice.

Ok man, you go on and join the next big major bubble with the rest of the Arts Majors. Meanwhile Science majors will continue to be recruited right out of every college that produces them and be put into their own field.

He's an attention whore begging for sympathy.

http://www.justplainpolitics.com/showthread.php?58873-Battling-Depression-has-never-been-so-difficult

Then why the sob story? So, not readily available work for an undergrad? Huh, didn't I just say that? I'm pretty sure I did.
Yup. Ok.

Ok man, you go on and join the next big major bubble with the rest of the Arts Majors. Meanwhile Science majors will continue to be recruited right out of every college that produces them and be put into their own field.

Before I clock in a go to work (not to mention respond to you) let me ask you two questions (actually 3):

1) Did you go to a University? If so, where?

2) If you went to a university what was YOUR major?

3) What was YOUR major?

Now if you say no for 1) then it nullifies 2) and 3) but I was curious.....

First let me start with the red comment.....Apparently the fact that I have two bachlors of arts and not a science seems to be the crux of your post. The fact that I am a graduate of the arts means that my skills or education is less valuable than someone who holds a bachlors of science. True in some majors even on the undergraduate level there are those who graduate with an undergraduate degree in engirneering and come out starting at $60k yes this is true. Engineering, Computers, Accounting are all good fields and yes there is high demand for those fields. But simply evaluating someone's educational worth based on whether they have attained a bachelors of science or a bachelors of arts means nothing because intelligence is not defined on whether you studied the arts or the sciences. Nowadays jobs aren't based on what you know it's who you know.

I've known plenty of people who get in certain jobs based on the school they went to. I am a graduate of the University of Southern California so our alumni base is big and most Trojans operate on the idea that we Trojans take care of our own. My boss is a graduate of USC. I'm a graduate of USC. Although my skills speak for itself we live in a society where it's about knowing the right people not what is on a piece of paper.

You said:

Then why the sob story? So, not readily available work for an undergrad? Huh, didn't I just say that? I'm pretty sure I did.

I was not sharing a sob story. In actuality I incorporated my schooling with the subject and somehow the current of discussion turned into a story about me. My ultimate goal is to attain a doctorate degree. I am a man that likes challenges and so since I shifted my career path to social work I may just end up attaining a doctorate degree in both Neuropsychology and Social Work....we'll see...BTW I wasn't looking for pity when I said that there is a limit to the current job market in my field. This is how people read into it, as if I'm looking for pity. I was merely informing people on how things work because obviously just by the responses that I'm seeing here, I don't think too many people here went to college and if they did it was a long time ago. If people here don't know the difference between a psychiatrist and a psychologist I think its my duty as a graduate to at least educate people on the differences between the two, not to mention specifying how specializations and the current job market work. My previous posts short of the original post, was more to explain the situation, not cry abaout it. Again it is how people read into it and I think people here in this thread want to be confrontational, make stupid remarks as oppose to really discuss the actual issue which isn't about me per say, but about the climate of the welfare system. As I said previously I used myself as an outlier because I want people who hold the view that welfare recipients being considered lazy, to also consider those who were laid off, people like me who need a temporary anchor.

He's an attention whore begging for sympathy.

http://www.justplainpolitics.com/showthread.php?58873-Battling-Depression-has-never-been-so-difficult

Oh yes I love attention. Why should I try when you're giving it to me with your every response. It makes no sense. You complain about my so-called "attention seeking" yet by you participating in this thread you are giving me attention automatically....Curious.

Back