What is an alternative to welfare?

Can you be more specific? What about these jobs didn't suit you? Did they not provide a catered lunch? No chauffeur? Did they not give you your own private secretary that would give you afternoon blow jobs? What exactly did not "suit you"?

Maybe nobody would listen to him whine about how hard it is for him to shake his depression.

Oh, the humanity.

For the record for the dumb asses making remarks on my educational background my undergraduate degree(s) are:

-Psychology w/ emphasis on Neuropsychology
-Philosophy w/ emphasis on Metaphysics

My Masters is in Neuropsychology

I'm going back in this fall to get a second Masters in Social Work (I cannot do the Ph.D program for Neuropsychology as I WORK full-time besides Neuropsychology is a specialized area and there aren't many jobs in that area as opposed to Clinical Psychology). In California the social work career is taking off especially if I can get licensed to be an LCSW or Licensed Clinical Social Worker which pays starting salary of $60k ($90k if you have some experience and are working for a for-profit hospital). So before you guys start talking shit about my "education choices" perhaps you inquire on what my educational background is first.

So in other words; you decided to enter a field that was reliant on tax payer dollars and when those funds ceased to exist, could not find work. Or you chose NOT to find a job in the private sector unrelated to your field. I am guessing there is a LOT of HR positions that would hire based on your masters education.

Rather ironic for an Obama supporter eh?

Would you debate me and demonstrate where in this entire thread I've made an excuse for myself?

I've seen a lot of whining and excuse making for not finding a job; so tell me, did you vote twice for Obama and help elect Jerry Brown and the passel of liberal Democrats now ruining the State of California?

Now that I find to be ironic.

[/COLOR]

Before I clock in a go to work (not to mention respond to you) let me ask you two questions (actually 3):

1) Did you go to a University? If so, where?

2) If you went to a university what was YOUR major?

3) What was YOUR major?

Now if you say no for 1) then it nullifies 2) and 3) but I was curious.....

First let me start with the red comment.....Apparently the fact that I have two bachlors of arts and not a science seems to be the crux of your post. The fact that I am a graduate of the arts means that my skills or education is less valuable than someone who holds a bachlors of science. True in some majors even on the undergraduate level there are those who graduate with an undergraduate degree in engirneering and come out starting at $60k yes this is true. Engineering, Computers, Accounting are all good fields and yes there is high demand for those fields. But simply evaluating someone's educational worth based on whether they have attained a bachelors of science or a bachelors of arts means nothing because intelligence is not defined on whether you studied the arts or the sciences. Nowadays jobs aren't based on what you know it's who you know.

I've known plenty of people who get in certain jobs based on the school they went to. I am a graduate of the University of Southern California so our alumni base is big and most Trojans operate on the idea that we Trojans take care of our own. My boss is a graduate of USC. I'm a graduate of USC. Although my skills speak for itself we live in a society where it's about knowing the right people not what is on a piece of paper.

You said:

Then why the sob story? So, not readily available work for an undergrad? Huh, didn't I just say that? I'm pretty sure I did.

I was not sharing a sob story. In actuality I incorporated my schooling with the subject and somehow the current of discussion turned into a story about me. My ultimate goal is to attain a doctorate degree. I am a man that likes challenges and so since I shifted my career path to social work I may just end up attaining a doctorate degree in both Neuropsychology and Social Work....we'll see...BTW I wasn't looking for pity when I said that there is a limit to the current job market in my field. This is how people read into it, as if I'm looking for pity. I was merely informing people on how things work because obviously just by the responses that I'm seeing here, I don't think too many people here went to college and if they did it was a long time ago. If people here don't know the difference between a psychiatrist and a psychologist I think its my duty as a graduate to at least educate people on the differences between the two, not to mention specifying how specializations and the current job market work. My previous posts short of the original post, was more to explain the situation, not cry abaout it. Again it is how people read into it and I think people here in this thread want to be confrontational, make stupid remarks as oppose to really discuss the actual issue which isn't about me per say, but about the climate of the welfare system. As I said previously I used myself as an outlier because I want people who hold the view that welfare recipients being considered lazy, to also consider those who were laid off, people like me who need a temporary anchor.

My major was in Finance and Accounting. I have been in Real Estate Development now for over 20 years. I worked for about a year in accounting and although I excelled in it and math in the University, I hated it in real life. I never looked back.

This theory of yours that you have a specific degree and are now locked into that field is a self imposed limitation; there are plenty of companies out there who would be interested in individuals with a Masters in the HR field and management field.

Ok. You seem to operate on Protestant Work Ethics so I'll respond by saying this. If you have nevcer been on welfare of have never signed up for EDD (Employment Development Department) it's quite hard to respond the way you do. The whole point of the EDD is to get you to find work. 90% of EDD is to get you to work and there is a cut off as to how much the EDD will support you. The support the EDD will provide you is basically half of your wage earnings. If you find a job or a temp job you must report how many hours you've worked so they can deduct how much they pay you (if you don't they find those earning themselves and may garnish your wages to recover what you didn't report). If or when EDD cuts you off if you protest you must speak to a judge and answer why you haven't found a job in the allotted time you were given.

In your local city there are EDD offices with computers that direct you to places with openings and every single one of them I went to had over 100 people. So while you're saying workfare I did do that. But you have to understand some people even in meager conditions must be able to sustain themselves.

This only means you haven't been there recently. The reality is we've worked very hard to ensure that this isn't the case any longer. We give out cards rather than checks, work hard to take away any point of shame one might feel from being on the public dole, and the current President really did remove much of the push to work.

Give them a couple hours of moving books around in a library to receive the check, or trash pickup, or cleaning up after dogs at the local shelter. We shouldn't pretend that there is nothing that we can require from people we give money to, that it must be "free" to all takers simply because of circumstance. If you are healthy and capable then we should require something more from you than we do now in order to receive the benefits we all believe and understand are necessary.

This only means you haven't been there recently. The reality is we've worked very hard to ensure that this isn't the case any longer. We give out cards rather than checks, work hard to take away any point of shame one might feel from being on the public dole, and the current President really did remove much of the push to work.

Give them a couple hours of moving books around in a library to receive the check, or trash pickup, or cleaning up after dogs at the local shelter. We shouldn't pretend that there is nothing that we can require from people we give money to, that it must be "free" to all takers simply because of circumstance. If you are healthy and capable then we should require something more from you than we do now in order to receive the benefits we all believe and understand are necessary.

oh, the truth now, you want people to feel shame who need help.

it is one of the reasons many elder in need go hungry, without medication or heat here in Alaska because they feel shame and are too proud to accept help.

i guess in your world this is good and how it should be, shame the poor.

it is one of the reasons many elder in need go hungry, without medication or heat here in Alaska because they feel shame and are too proud to accept help.

only if they demand my private property without compensation. then they should be shamed. otherwise let them live their lives

Another fantastic myth; that elderly people go without medication and heat because the evil Republicans will not permit more Federal theft of citizens wealth.

Dunce.

I want them to urgently want to be the helper rather than the helped.

I'd prefer that attitude to one where they believe they are owed something they never earned. However I don't propose to change the portions that remove the shame, I propose to add one that adds some sense of responsibility and that they understand that it is at least partially earned. Imagine the old folk getting on there knowing they can at least have some ability to show they've earned a bit. Likely you'd have less hungry old people in Alaska if we adopted a system that included a bit of human empathy rather than just sympathy. Compassion is a two-sided coin, just giving people stuff is the weaker half of compassion and it involves no actual empathy.

I'd prefer that attitude to one where they believe they are owed something they never earned. However I don't propose to change the portions that remove the shame, I propose to add one that adds some sense of responsibility and that they understand that it is at least partially earned. Imagine the old folk getting on there knowing they can at least have some ability to show they've earned a bit. Likely you'd have less hungry old people in Alaska if we adopted a system that included a bit of human empathy rather than just sympathy. Compassion is a two-sided coin, just giving people stuff is the weaker half of compassion and it involves no actual empathy.

A lot of words that say nothing Damo. The elderly I see worked hard their whole lives, how could they be any more responsible? Children as well, how are they responsible for poor?

These two groups are the majority on welfare and you are one of the uninformed who believe only lazy people who mooch off the system are on welfare.

Talk about an attitude.

A lot of words that say nothing Damo. The elderly I see worked hard their whole lives, how could they be any more responsible? Children as well, how are they responsible for poor?

These two groups are the majority on welfare and you are one of the uninformed who believe only lazy people who mooch off the system are on welfare.

Talk about an attitude.

Attitude is saying that they wouldn't feel better contributing and therefore be more likely to participate. If your goal is to help more people you need to look at why they aren't and then address that rather than simply reject it and say others are cruel for addressing it.

My words said exactly what I meant them to, Rana. They were not empty and they carried the weight of responsibility we hold to our fellow humans. To dismiss the elements of empathy that are difficult doesn't make you better, only dismissive. Again, compassion is a two-sided coin, only participating in the "if you give them stuff you are compassionate" is the lazy way out. You must make it available both emotionally and humanely.

You've already stated that they are too "proud" to take it but you simply reject any idea that would make that more palatable to them while pretending it is cruel to work towards what may be a better solution.

Talk about "attitude" indeed. Your goal isn't to get more people help, it is to make them do it per your specifications and their pride be damned. The assumption that compassion ends at the point where you want to force people to take money without regard to their human nature is a poor assumption, and the assumption that others are not compassionate when they recognize that there is a human side of things that is being ignored is just heaping it onto already bad assumptions.

You want to feel "better" because you are willing to give without regard to that reality. Fine, feel better. I want to help people get out of the despondence that got them there to begin with. Give them a true hand up rather than simply force them to suck in a hand out even if they'd prefer to feel they are earning that help in some small way.

Attitude is saying that they wouldn't feel better contributing and therefore be more likely to participate. If your goal is to help more people you need to look at why they aren't and then address that rather than simply reject it and say others are cruel for addressing it.

My words said exactly what I meant them to, Rana. They were not empty and they carried the weight of responsibility we hold to our fellow humans. To dismiss the elements of empathy that are difficult doesn't make you better, only dismissive. Again, compassion is a two-sided coin, only participating in the "if you give them stuff you are compassionate" is the lazy way out. You must make it available both emotionally and humanely.

You've already stated that they are too "proud" to take it, but you simply reject any idea that would make that more palatable to them while pretending it is cruel to work towards what may be a better solution.

Talk about "attitude" indeed.

They have already contributed, what would you have them contribute Damo? They are elderly and children?

You avoid this and give me a lot of word salad on empathy and compassion like all libertarians, but what is the solution?

How would you have them contribute?

they feel shame because people like you call them takers and moochers, when they aren't.

They have already contributed, what would you have them contribute Damo? They are elderly and children?

You avoid this and give me a lot of word salad on empathy and compassion like all libertarians, but what is the solution?

How would you have them contribute?

they feel shame because people like you call them takers and moochers, when they aren't.

Again, the motivation is theirs, Rana. The problem you are having is being able to understand that form of what you call "pride" that causes them to reject your forced handout... You say they are "too proud" to take it, therefore we must just give more that they won't take.

Your process is broken and you refuse to recognize it because your goal isn't to help these people, it is to make them take the help under your rules and to tell others you are "better", not because you want to help more, but because you want to "win". To them you say, "You get a handout and if you are "too proud" then so what? Instead we'll talk about you behind your back and reject any idea that may allow you to see past that awful "pride" of yours."

Ungrateful old people not accepting your help. The "pride" isn't on their side.

Again, the motivation is theirs, Rana. The problem you are having is being able to understand that form of what you call "pride" that causes them to reject your forced handout... You say they are "too proud" to take it, therefore we must just give more that they won't take.

Your process is broken and you refuse to recognize it because your goal isn't to help these people, it is to make them take the help under your rules and to tell others you are "better", not because you want to help more, but because you want to "win". To them you say, "You get a handout and if you are "too proud" then so what? Instead we'll talk about you behind your back and reject any idea that may allow you to see past that awful "pride" of yours."

Top post of 2014

Lol, this post is so bizarre, and full of opinion and just flat out wrong about the way I think.

I am still waiting for how you would make the elderly and children feel more responsible and feel less shame about accepting food stamps or Medicaid! What you would require them to do in order to feel like they have earned these programs and not feel a sense of entitlement that would be empathetic and less cruel to them.

Lol, this post is so bizarre, and full of opinion and just flat out wrong about the way I think.

It is what you said.

I am still waiting for how you would make the elderly and children feel more responsible and feel less shame about accepting food stamps or Medicaid! What you would require them to do in order to feel like they have earned these programs and not feel a sense of entitlement that would be empathetic and less cruel to them.
It's already been explained, Rana. It was what began this odd exchange between you and I.

As I said in the preceding post, in your pride you want to condescend, especially to those you prejudged to "disagree", but also to those you are helping. Their "pride" is misguided, not your form of "help". You tell me they are "too proud" to take, but won't accept an idea that actually takes that kind of "pride" into account.

I'm good with that, but nothing in life runs on your sense of self-importance, and compassion given without thought for the human nature of the recipients, and which is therefore justly refused, helps nobody at all. It may help make you think you are "better" than others who take that into consideration and come up with different ideas, such as those espoused by me in this thread, but it doesn't change that those people are still "too proud" and you have no solution other than to tell me that I am "bad" for coming up with an idea that doesn't follow your agenda.

...I am still waiting for how you would make the elderly and children feel more responsible and feel less shame about accepting food stamps or Medicaid!
You seem like a rather emotional person. Gosh I hope you don't vote.

"I'd prefer that attitude to one where they believe they are owed something they never earned."

^ This is the kind of thinking that drives me stark raving bonkers.

Back