What kind of "Christian values" do Conservatives want?

Good work, and I concur.

This isnt about theology or religion.

This is about the long-accepted standards and practices of historical scholarship. That means to me, this thread is not fundamentally about religion. It is about ignorance and denial of scholarship

Yes, denial of the reality of Christian corruption of scholarship. For generations, the only scholarship allowed was that which supported the Church.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

It applies to anyone, be it atheist or theist, who is too emotionally invested in the topic to accept different belief systems.

Examples: https://www.justplainpolitics.com/s...t-do-Conservatives-want&p=3658483#post3658483

https://www.justplainpolitics.com/s...t-do-Conservatives-want&p=3658555#post3658555

Sent from an a SM-G950U I found in a subway toilet.
Atheists simply don't believe in what theists want them to believe in. That's what makes theists hate them.

ROFLMAO. No wonder you're so fucked up. You think an educated guess equals proof. Jesus fucking Keeerist, dude. What the fuck are they teaching you kids in schools these days? "New Math"?

Sent from my 1970s sliderule
Reality is the proof.

You believe in a God who is unable to demonstrate His existence.

Prove that is true. There's a difference between unable and unwilling as all logical people understand.

Sent from the alien civilization which rjhenn believes to exist

Yes, denial of the reality of Christian corruption of scholarship. For generations, the only scholarship allowed was that which supported the Church.

Pointing to the Medieval universities of the year 1245 AD does absolutely nothing, nada, zilch to excuse your denial of modern scholarship by the world's most reputable historians of antiquity

Atheists simply don't believe in what theists want them to believe in. That's what makes theists hate them.

Some atheists, some theists. Your constant broadbrushing is typical of militant atheists, just not all atheists. Some theists, like militant atheists, are fucking assholes.

41p7t3.jpg
Sent from five minutes in the future using my temporal communication device.

It would matter at all if you were into 'worship', I think, but if you felt the ideas he expressed were historically important, it would matter quite a lot.

I'm in the latter camp about the good ideas that Jesus expressed. It's interesting most of the atheists I know (and am related to either by marriage or DNA), they tend to adhere to His teachings more than many Xtians do, and they also tend to be far more ethical as well.

For instance, none of them would go on a public message board or social media readers' comment section and call other ppl some of the stuff I see the nastier Xtians here do, like PMP, Iewitless, Toxic, Stretch, Ralph, etc. They don't inquire after others' beliefs, either, and are content to live and let live unlike most evangelists/fundies of any religion.

Some atheists, some theists. Your constant broadbrushing is typical of militant atheists, just not all atheists. Some theists, like militant atheists, are fucking assholes.
Sent from five minutes in the future using my temporal communication device.

Even non-pushy, kindly Xtians often believe that atheists have no morals or ethics and cannot be trusted because they don't believe in their version of deity.

Hate might be too strong a word. Fear is what I pick up from Xtians who think that atheists cannot be honest, good ppl w/o their chosen belief system to back it up.

I trust the atheists I know personally a lot more than any random person who loudly proclaims his devotion to Xtianity.

I'm in the latter camp about the good ideas that Jesus expressed. It's interesting most of the atheists I know (and am related to either by marriage or DNA), they tend to adhere to His teachings more than many Xtians do, and they also tend to be far more ethical as well.

For instance, none of them would go on a public message board or social media readers' comment section and call other ppl some of the stuff I see the nastier Xtians here do, like PMP, Iewitless, Toxic, Stretch, Ralph, etc. They don't inquire after others' beliefs, either, and are content to live and let live unlike most evangelists/fundies of any religion.

Since I rarely know the religious beliefs of people I know from work or the neighborhood, I can't vouch for it either way. On this forum, the militant atheists and theists are often hypocritical assholes who are only seeking to push their beliefs onto others. Their actions say more about their lack of character than the beliefs they are pushing.

Since I rarely know the religious beliefs of people I know from work or the neighborhood, I can't vouch for it either way. On this forum, the militant atheists and theists are often hypocritical assholes who are only seeking to push their beliefs onto others. Their actions say more about their lack of character than the beliefs they are pushing.

IMO if your faith in whatever is righteous, there's no need to try to declare it "better" than other people's, and argue that they should convert to your way of thinking. Just like honest ppl don't need to constantly remind others that they're honest, and label everyone else liars.

IMO if your faith in whatever is righteous, there's no need to try to declare it "better" than other people's, and argue that they should convert to your way of thinking. Just like honest ppl don't need to constantly remind others that they're honest, and label everyone else liars.

Which is exactly how most approach it. Political and religious forums are an exception since they tend to bring out the loony toons.

Message boards have a remarkable amount of phony Christians who make no effort to live the authentic Christian life.

The noted Christian philosopher Soren Kierkegaard made the point that living the authentic Christian life is extremely difficult. He held in low esteem those who thought if they just sat in Church Sunday morning and listened to the minister, somehow that made them a Christian

Message boards have a remarkable amount of phony Christians who make no effort to live the authentic Christian life.

The noted Christian philosopher Soren Kierkegaard made the point that living the authentic Christian life is extremely difficult. He held in low esteem those who thought if they just sat in Church Sunday morning and listened to the minister, somehow that made them a Christian

I'm fairly sure that telling others that they're going to hell either to their faces or via the Internet is not something Christ had in mind.

I'm fairly sure that telling others that they're going to hell either to their faces or via the Internet is not something Christ had in mind.

Lying, slandering, cursing, insulting, vile language - I find these often are the character traits of a lot of rightwing bible thumpers. I just finished Dante's Divine Comedy, and I am fairly certain some of these bible thumpers have a one way ticket to the seventh circle of hell!

Have you ever seen the "but that wasn't real Communism" meme? It's a joke about how whenever you point out that Communism has failed wherever it's tried, Communists reply by saying that wasn't REAL Communism.
The thing is, they're technically right because real Communism wouldn't have a government, but it doesn't matter. The point is whenever a country tries Communism on a large scale, they end up with Authoritarianism. So we can point to the Soviet Union and Maoist China as examples of why large-scale Communism doesn't work.

Well, it's the same thing with Capitalism. Capitalism will ALWAYS lead to Cronyism/Corporatism because that's what happens when we don't have regulations to keep the 1% from getting too powerful. We could say that America doesn't have REAL Capitalism, maybe that's technically true, but it doesn't matter. If we attempt real Capitalism, we end up with an economic oligarchy and lots of poverty.

I'm not arguing for anarcho-capitalism. I'm talking about how the regulations we have favor big business over small business. I'm fine with some regulations, but there's too many of them currently. Also, much of the reason for the power of corporations has to do with corporate law. Get rid of the legal institution of the corporation, and you'll see more accountability regarding ownership of big business.

Again, the problem isn't capitalism. It's when government favors certain businesses.

If we had free healthcare and UBI, most people would still have to work to have a good life. As Andrew Yang pointed out, in societies where UBI is introduced, the main people who stop working are students and pregnant women, which is how it should be. Generally speaking, everyone else keeps their jobs.

No society has implemented a UBI of Yang's design. The ones that have been implemented are much more limited in either expense or scope. It has been tried in certain cities, for example, but never in an entire country as large as ours.

So, we can't really extrapolate the results of these small experiments to an economy our size. That being said, I'm fine with UBI if we get rid of the rest of the welfare state. Adding UBI to the existing welfare state isn't feasible, however.

I'm not arguing for anarcho-capitalism. I'm talking about how the regulations we have favor big business over small business. I'm fine with some regulations, but there's too many of them currently. Also, much of the reason for the power of corporations has to do with corporate law. Get rid of the legal institution of the corporation, and you'll see more accountability regarding ownership of big business.

Again, the problem isn't capitalism. It's when government favors certain businesses.

But government favoring certain businesses is the unavoidable result of Capitalism. Let the 1% get too powerful and they can buy and sell all the politicians they want. I agree we should have regulations to favor small business over big business, but that's not going to happen unless we have a major wealth redistribution. Right now, if we eliminated regulations that help the rich, the 1% would just elect politicians to reinstate those regulations.

No society has implemented a UBI of Yang's design. The ones that have been implemented are much more limited in either expense or scope. It has been tried in certain cities, for example, but never in an entire country as large as ours.

True, but with the amount of inequality in America now, we could likely pull it off on a national level.

But government favoring certain businesses is the unavoidable result of Capitalism. Let the 1% get too powerful and they can buy and sell all the politicians they want. I agree we should have regulations to favor small business over big business, but that's not going to happen unless we have a major wealth redistribution. Right now, if we eliminated regulations that help the rich, the 1% would just elect politicians to reinstate those regulations.

I disagree. It's the unavoidable result of corporate law. Our legal system needs more change than anything else. Make those changes, and then it becomes much harder to pass legislation that favors big business.

Also, keep in mind that the countries that have pushed hardest on "wealth redistribution" have been the worst about oppression. Look at Venezuela, for example. You can use any number of leftist Latin American countries as a good example, honestly.

I'm assuming you probably favor the Nordic models of governance, but they are more capitalistic than is often assumed. They heavily socialize certain amenities, but they also are very competitive in industry.

Back