Who's to say? Is there moral truth?

It's reasonable to call it a natural law because the feeling of a moral duty to siblings and parents is nearly universal and not subject to opinion.

And neighbors and their children and elderly

Feeling for others BUILT HUMAN SOCIETY

We are basically a pack animal

Humans are pack animals. And almost all of our “morality “ seems predicated on maintaining a stable social network. To that end I personally doubt that there are any universal moral truths per se.

Does anyone think a well fed house cat commits “murder” when it needlessly kills a songbird?

To maintain a stable social network means caring about others

That is those morals you have a hard time admitting exists

To maintain a stable social network means caring about others

That is those morals you have a hard time admitting exists

Actually I think they are one and the same. Morality is, imho, nothing more than the manifestation of our need to maintain a stable social network which confers on us (pack animals) a survival advantage. As opposed to some immutable truth beyond space and time.

^Strawman fallacy. Nobody actually believes there's a person like that. Even Catholics defy the dictates of the Pope.

Technically speaking it isn't a strawman fallacy since there are at least SOME people (some Catholics) who DO accept that the Pope is "infallible" on issues of this nature.

Right, I think there are moral imperatives that don't depend on social consensus or written law.

Moral duty to siblings, parents, family. Moral duty to freedom of conscience. Thomas Jefferson and Abraham Lincoln thought liberty and a right to life and happiness was a natural law that didn't depend on the consent of kings, legislatures, or communities.

Even Catholics defy the dictates of the Pope.
The Pope doesn't speak in "dictates." Only when the Pope declares that he is speaking ex-cathedra are Catholics obligated to adhere, and there have only been two of those (both concerning Mary):

1. The dogma of the Imacculate Conception
2. The dogma of the Assumption of Mary

Nothing more after 1950.

Jesus is the authority for morals for Christianity. This makes it an authoritarian system.
Jesus is not around to answer questions. Jesus is not the authority; the Bible is. I realize that Christians aren't going to like my wording but the Bible is the authority as well as anyone that any Christian allows to interpret the Bible for him.

Jesus is not around to answer questions. Jesus is not the authority; the Bible is. I realize that Christians aren't going to like my wording but the Bible is the authority as well as anyone that any Christian allows to interpret the Bible for him.

How very Protestant of you.

I dont have any problem with Catholics....my wife is one....lapsed......she is mad at God.

My wife is not buying the story that all the shit that has been placed in her life is for a good cause.....till/unless she gets a reasonable explanation from God she is classifying that as neglect.

Having been betrayed by her nation (Iraq) and greatly damaged for nothing is just the start of her list.

How very Protestant of you.
Not Protestant. Analytical. Christians are rather obligated to assert that Jesus is their authority ... but the Bible is the authority on Jesus ... making the Bible the authority by transitivity. OK, it's mathematical.

Are Protestants mathematical?

I dont have any problem with Catholics....my wife is one....lapsed......she is mad at God.
@gfm7175, help me interpret this. I have read it several times and although I understand all the words, there seem to be several points that I'm not getting.

So she's dead?

a
: a slight error typically due to forgetfulness or inattention
a lapse in table manners
a lapse in security
b
: a temporary deviation or fall especially from a higher to a lower state
a lapse from grace
ethical lapses
: a becoming less : DECLINE
a lapse in the supply of technicians
a
(1)
: the termination of a right or privilege through neglect to exercise it within some limit of time
(2)
: termination of coverage for nonpayment of premiums
the lapse of an insurance policy
b
: INTERRUPTION, DISCONTINUANCE
returned to college after a lapse of several years
: an abandonment of religious faith

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/lapse

Not Protestant. Analytical. Christians are rather obligated to assert that Jesus is their authority ... but the Bible is the authority on Jesus ... making the Bible the authority by transitivity. OK, it's mathematical.

Are Protestants mathematical?

@gfm7175, help me interpret this. I have read it several times and although I understand all the words, there seem to be several points that I'm not getting.

I am Hawkeye the Wise.....let's start with that.

Back