Why are atheists like cypress so invested in monotheism?

The Baptists, like all Protestant denominations, hold to the basic Protestant tenets that emerged in the 16th century

Except that is not the only way to define a Protestant. Yes they bear a lot of resemblance in their soteriology etc. with Protestants but there is a LEGITIMATE reason to differentiate them.

I'm curious why you think so many Baptists are really stupid?

: sola fide and sola scruptura.

That isn't necessarily the only key point of the Baptist faith. Remember, they didn't split from the Catholic Church. Their beef was not with the Catholic Church as it was the CofE.

I am not here to use all my time to teach you about Protestantism

Because you know next to nothing about it, apparently.

, your local community college can give you a class on religious history.

Your free to continue to believe Baptists are not a Protestant denomination. :laugh:

I pointed you to cases where BAPTISTS believe that. You simply seem to think yourself SUPERIOR to Baptists. You called them "rubes" if they didn't believe as you did.

Why do you hold them in such disregard?

Except that is not the only way to define a Protestant. Yes they bear a lot of resemblance in their soteriology etc. with Protestants but there is a LEGITIMATE reason to differentiate them.

That isn't necessarily the only key point of the Baptist faith. Remember, they didn't split from the Catholic Church. Their beef was not with the Catholic Church as it was the CofE.

I pointed you to cases where BAPTISTS believe that. You simply seem to think yourself SUPERIOR to Baptists. You called them "rubes" if they didn't believe as you did.

The fact that Baptist churches themselves say they are of the Protestant tradition makes your intransigence even more funny. I gave you the web links.

Any denomination, whether it's Baptist, Pentecostal, or Presbyterian, that subscribes to the tenets of Sola fide and sola scriptura is of the Protestant tradition - because those basic core tenets of belief go back to Luther, Zwingli, and Calvin.

You would know that if you had read a single book on the history of Christianity.

And armed with that information I gave you for free, you are equipped to get a C in a history of religion class, even if you don't know anything else.

Doesn't sound like it is fringe. I'm not a Baptist but it seems to me this is a legitimate difference they have.

You are free to ignore anyone who disagrees with you, even if it is THEIR faith and NOT YOURS.

Incorrect? Then you didn't actually read anything about the Baptists who disagree with you, correct? You seem to make a LOT of arguments based on knowing only one side of a point.

You are free to ignore what the Baptists themselves say. I'm sure they will see you are right and they are wrong about their own faith.

Now go and read the counterpoints.
Whether it's science, history, or religion we don't place weight on fringe opinions or erroneous views.

If you are promoting fringe science as well as fringe religious belief, that would be funny.

The American Baptist Churches USA, and the Southern Baptist Convention all identify with the Protestant tradition

This is corroborated by the Encyclopedia Britannica, Pew Research Center, and mainstream Christian media sources I provided for you.

Any Christian religious tradition that holds to the tenets of Sola fide and Sola scriptura is part of the Protestant tradition because those tenets were at the core of the 16th century Protestant Reformation. Period, end of story. This would have been at the heart of any book or class on Christian history.

That wasn't the issue.

I don't care what you think about Baptists.

The issue is that reputable web sources, experts, and even Baptist churches themselves recognize their church emerged out of the Protestant tradition.
the protestants also do not decide who is and who is not a Christian.

your history of emergence is also irrelevant to actual spirituality.

he's a catholic zealot asshole.

he doesn't believe protestants are true Christians because they won't condone the pedo papistry.

masons are weaponizing religion like the crusaders.

You've don't attend church, and don't participate in any religious community. Logging onto an obscure message board and babbling about the golden rule doesn't make you a Christian.

Yeah, that sounds just like me. :laugh:
chrisianity isn;t a country club, you idiotic oaf.

the golden rule is the defining morality of christiianity according to Jesus.

"do unto others SHALL BE THE WHOLE OF THE LAW". --Jesus

chrisianity isn;t a country club, you idiotic oaf.

the golden rule is the defining morality of christiianity according to Jesus.

"do unto others SHALL BE THE WHOLE OF THE LAW". --Jesus
It's fine if you want to just sit at home on the couch and arbitrarily declare yourself saved. Your choice.

My sense of the New Testament is that both Jesus and Paul thought that ministry, community, and fellowship were essential parts of what it means to be a participating Christian or person of faith.

It's fine if you want to just sit at home on the couch and arbitrarily declare yourself saved. Your choice.

My sense of the New Testament is that both Jesus and Paul thought that ministry, community, and fellowship were essential parts of what it means to be a participating Christian or person of faith.
it's just that easy.

it's called reborn in Jesus.

you're still trying to make it an elitist asshole club because you're an elitist asshole.

it's just that easy.

it's called reborn in Jesus.

you're still trying to make it an elitist asshole club because you're an elitist asshole.
That sounds like something someone would say if they are too lazy, or too anti-social to actually participate in the Christian fellowship.

The fact that Baptist churches themselves say they are of the Protestant tradition makes your intransigence even more funny. I gave you the web links.

I also provided you links to Baptist who say the opposite.

You can't understand this point so I'll try to say it in as simple language as humanly possible:

I was merely saying you cannot claim to "correct" someone on a topic that is still legitimately debated by people IN THE FAITH.

I also provided you links to Baptist who say the opposite.
Fringe opinions of some guy on the internet carries no weight.

Your links also were not from recognizable and reputable sources, like mine were.

I said in the post that put a bee in your bonnet that I corrected a bible thumper when they tried to claim Baptists aren't Protestants. That was a universal claim and statement.

He did not say "some guys on the internet" rejects the Protestant legacy of Baptism.

Whether it's science, history, or religion we don't place weight on fringe opinions or erroneous views.

Doesn't sound like it's fringe. But do keep ignoring the evidence.

The American Baptist Churches USA, and the Southern Baptist Convention all identify with the Protestant tradition

Were you unable to read what I wrote? Yes, they have many similarities but, again, you choose to define Protestant ONLY in the worship frame. Historically (and from whence the NAME Protestant comes) they are most assuredly NOT of the same source.

This is why if you google "Are Baptists Protestants" you WILL get a LOT of hits that show this is STILL A REAL QUESTION FOR BAPTISTS.

(Honestly I already posted enough information to make this distinction clear so it's a suprise you didn't understand it)

This is corroborated by the Encyclopedia Britannica,

Encyclopedia Britannica doesn't define the Church.

Pew Research Center, and mainstream Christian media sources I provided for you.

You ignored the references I cited. Why?

Any Christian religious tradition that holds to the tenets of Sola fide and Sola scriptura is part of the Protestant tradition because those tenets were at the core of the 16th century Protestant Reformation.

Logic really seems to be a weak point for you. You can't seem to understand what some BAPTISTS THEMSELVES SAY: which is that they did NOT come out of the Protestant Reformation. They split from the CofE over doctrinal issues with the CofE.

Period, end of story. This would have been at the heart of any book or class on Christian history.

You really talk a big game about history but you don't seem to actually know it.

Fringe opinions of some guy on the internet carries no weight.

Some guy? Try googling "Are Baptists Protestants". You'll see it is more than just "some guy".

Your links also were not from recognizable and reputable sources, like mine were.

LOL. Encyclopedia Britannica doesn't define the Baptist Church.

I'm curious, though, why you don't know more history?

And your silly requirements for salvation indicate you don't even really understand non-Catholic, non-Orthodox Christianity either.

Some guy? Try googling "Are Baptists Protestants". You'll see it is more than just "some guy".
I can google Barack Obama is a secret Kenyan Muslim and get thousands of hits.

I can google Michelle Obama is a transvestite and get tens of thousands of hits.

Do you also promote fringe and specious science based on your frantic googling expeditions?

You seem to lack the ability to filter fringe or extraneous information, for expert and reliable information.

I can google Barack Obama is a secret Kenyan Muslim and get thousands of hits.

But if you READ what they say you will see that there is a legitimate disagreement over what it actually means to be a Protestant Church.

God I wish I could explain to you some things but you seem incapable of understanding:

1. I am NOT against calling Baptists Protestants. It is quite common
2. There are some Baptists (a not inconsiderable number apparently) who believe that the TECHNICAL definition does not apply to them
3. You claimed to correct someone on this topic by saying only ONE side was correct.

Do you also promote fringe science based on your frantic googling expeditions?

You seem to lack the ability to filter fringe or extraneous information, for expert and reliable information.

You really need to learn how to debate points before you make mistakes.

LOL. Encyclopedia Britannica doesn't define the Baptist Church.
Not just them. Also, the Southern Baptist Convention and the American Baptist Churches USA themselves both identify with the Protestant tradition,
and this is corroborated by corroborated by Encyclopedia Brittanica, Pew Research Foundation, and mainstream Christian media per the links I gave you.

Not just them. Also, the Southern Baptist Convention and the American Baptist Churches USA themselves both identify with the Protestant tradition,
and this is corroborated by corroborated by Encyclopedia Brittanica, Pew Research Foundation, and mainstream Christian media per the links I gave you.

I wish you could read.

2. There are some Baptists (a not inconsiderable number apparently) who believe that the TECHNICAL definition does not apply to them
3. You claimed to correct someone on this topic by saying only ONE side was correct.

But if you READ what they say you will see that there is a legitimate disagreement over what it actually means to be a Protestant Church.

God I wish I could explain to you some things but you seem incapable of understanding:

You really need to learn how to debate points before you make mistakes.
I do not place any weight on fringe opinions and specious claims found on obscure websites found during ten seconds of frantic googling.

You can literally find people with geology degrees who believe in Creationism. I've met some of them. You can place weight on their opinion, I don't.

I do not place any weight on fringe opinions

How do you know they are "fringe"? Did you do a study on the population of Baptists? Do you understand the technical detail being discussed?

You can literally find people with geology degrees who believe in Creationism. I've met some of them. You can place weight on their opinion, I don't.

This isn't science. This is history and religion.

Back