Why are atheists like cypress so invested in monotheism?

You claimed to correct someone on this topic by saying only ONE side was correct.
The opinions of uninformed lay people don't count. The Southern Baptist Convention identifies itself with the Protestant tradition. That is case closed.

I just googled "Catholics are not Christians" and found many instances of guys on the internet who hold to that claim.
Your free to accept that claim because you believe a quick, frantic google search immediately results in genuine and reputable knowledge.
Because I have the kind of filter you lack, I can dismiss those claims as being specious and carrying not weight.

How do you know they are "fringe"? Did you do a study on the population of Baptists? Do you understand the technical detail being discussed?

This isn't science. This is history and religion.
People like you can believe fringe and specious claims about religions, just like they can believe specious claims about science and history.

Encyclopedia Britannica
"Baptist, member of a group of Protestant Christians who share the basic beliefs of most Protestants"

American Baptist Churches USA
"American Baptist Churches USA today is the most racially inclusive Protestant body."

Christinanity.com
"Baptist
: it’s one of the most well-known denominations in Protestant Christianity and is named after its main belief in believer’s baptism"

Pew Research Center
"Southern Baptists are the largest evangelical Protestant group in the United States."

Clearview Baptist Church
"The Baptist religion stems from the Protestant Christian church."

Gallup News
"Southern Baptist denomination remains the largest Protestant group in the U.S."

Politico.com
"The Southern Baptist Convention, the nation’s largest and most politically powerful Protestant denomination"

New York Times
"Southern Baptists...the nation’s largest Protestant denomination"

The opinions of uninformed lay people don't count.

It's religion. Lay people most assuredly DO have valid opinions.

The Southern Baptist Convention identifies itself with the Protestant tradition. That is case closed.

Have you ever heard of disagreements within a religion? Sound even marginally familiar from all your "reading" in history?

Also, you seem hung up on the "popularity contest" without ever once considering the historical argument Baptists themselves make. But I get it...you almost never engage with the technical details of an argument you just stamp your little feet until you get your way.

I just googled "Catholics are not Christians" and found many instances of guys on the internet who hold to that claim.
Your free to accept that claim because you believe a quick, frantic google search immediately results in genuine and reputable knowledge.
Because I have the kind of filter you lack, I can dismiss those claims as being specious and carrying not weight.

Honestly I wish you could read. I'm actually OK with Baptists being considered Protestants. But then I'm also willing to listen to what people IN THAT RELIGION say about THEMSELVES.

Just like I accept your claim to be an "agnostic" even though it is quite clear you don't really fully understand the implications.

Last edited:
I don't remember. I read Walden 40 years ago and its a haze at best.
I do remember Thoreau and some of his fellow Transcendentalists were reading the Bhagavad Gita.

Walden pond was an essay about how society is fucked up.

you would be calling him an Incel terrorist today.

you're a hypocritical evil douche-nozzle.

Walden pond was an essay about how society is fucked up.

you would be calling him an Incel terrorist today.

you're a hypocritical evil douche-nozzle.
I love how some people totally exaggerate and eulogize what Thoreau did.

He camped out at the pond on land owned by his friend Ralph Waldo Emerson, less than a mile from Emersons house, and frequently left the "wilderness" to go eat dinner at Emerson's house.

I think it was bold of him to oppose the Mexican American War, but his civil disobedience landed him in jail for one night before his friends came and paid his bail.

Hardly the stuff of epic heroism, since I am used to reading about Solzhenitsyn, Akhmatova, and Sakarov.

He was still an influential writer, though stories of his integrity, strength and heroism are vastly overrated.

He camped out at the pond on land owned by his friend Ralph Waldo Emerson, less than a mile from Emersons house, and frequently left the "wilderness" to go eat dinner at Emerson's house.

I think it was bold of him to oppose the Mexican American War, but his civil disobedience landed him in jail for one night before his friends came and paid his bail.

Hardly the stuff of epic heroism, since I am used to reading about Solzhenitsyn, Akhmatova, and Sakarov.

He was still an influential writer, though stories of his integrity, strength and heroism are vastly overrated.
so you don't like thoreau then.

what part of his comments on society were wrong?

this is called "critical Reading theory".

attack the author on who he is rather than the substance of his writing.

this is why you're losing.

you denigrate all art and genius.
:truestory:

You're a Frankfurt School fascist fucktard.

:magagrin:

so you don't like thoreau then.

what part of his comments on society were wrong?
I haven't read his writings in decades, so I can't say. I only know some of his biography from reading articles.

Ghandi and Tolstoy appreciated Thoreau, so he was obviously a good example of civil disobedience in the name of a greater cause.

this is called "critical Reading theory".

attack the author on who he is rather than the substance of his writing.

you denigrate all art and genius.
:truestory:

You're a Frankfurt School fascist fucktard.

I might bet a weeks salary you've never read Thoreau.
All that you know is tidbits of information you acquired by Googling.

I might bet a weeks salary you've never read Thoreau.
All that you know is tidbits of information you acquired by Googling.

all you have is baseless condescension.

what is Thoreau about if not how society is fucked up?
and how is he wrong?

you have no answer because you're an idiot repeater of pro-ignorance propaganda.

all you have is baseless condescension.

what is Thoreau about if not how society is fucked up?
and how is he wrong?

you have no answer because you're an idiot repeater of pro-ignorance propaganda.
I accept your tacit confession you have never read Henry David Thoreau.

I don't know enough about him to discuss him intelligently. All I know are scraps of information I have acquired about him over the years.

I don't know enough about him to discuss him intelligently. All I know are scraps of information I have acquired about him over the years.
so you characterize him in your more informed way then.

you can;t because I already did it correctly.

you an idiot and a fraud.

or prove me wrong, mush mouth.

...from googling?
No, from articles and books I've read about the Transcendentalists.

Unlike you, I don’t place weight on random fringe opinions and erroneous information some random guys post on the internet. The standard I place weight on are mainstream experts and the leadership of the major Baptist churches themselves:

Encyclopedia Britannica

"Baptist, member of a group of Protestant Christians who share the basic beliefs of most Protestants"

"American Baptist Churches USA today is the most racially inclusive Protestant body."

National Baptist Convention, USA

“We lead two of the nation’s largest Protestant denominations

Southern Baptist Convention, Resolution 2017 Annual Meeting

Baptists trace much of their theological heritage to the events, figures, and principles of the Protestant Reformation. Baptists particularly value the principles of the Protestant Reformation that inspired subsequent generations of Baptists. We commit ourselves anew to the biblical convictions of the Protestant Reformation”

Calvary Road Baptist Church

“The Baptist religion is another popular denomination in Protestant Christianity.

Christinanity.com

"Baptist
: it’s one of the most well-known denominations in Protestant Christianity and is named after its main belief in believer’s baptism"

Pew Research Center

"Southern Baptists are the largest evangelical Protestant group in the United States."

Clearview Baptist Church

Gallup News

"Southern Baptist denomination remains the largest Protestant group in the U.S."

Politico.com

"The Southern Baptist Convention, the nation’s largest and most politically powerful Protestant denomination"

New York Times

]

Young and Floyd Issue Joint Statement on Racial Injustice - National Baptist Convention, USA Inc.

On The Five Hundredth Anniversary Of The Protestant Reformation - SBC.net

Baptist Religion (crbc.org)

No, from articles and books I've read about the Transcendentalists.

LOL. Yeah. Sure. Frantic googling it is, then.

Unlike you, I don’t place weight on random fringe opinions

You don't even understand what I was talking about.

and erroneous information some random guys post on the internet. The standard I place weight on are mainstream experts and the leadership of the major Baptist churches themselves:

LOL. Someone's getting a bit pissy because he's been, once again, shown that his "beliefs" are not as clear cut as he demands them to be.

I accept your tacit confession ...

WHy is this dishonest style of posting so attractive to you, Cypress? Are you REALLY unable to be honest in a discussion? You really are amazingly dishonest.

Which is how we all know YOU are the true frantic googler.

LOL. Yeah. Sure. Frantic googling it is, then.

You don't even understand what I was talking about.

LOL. Someone's getting a bit pissy because he's been, once again, shown that his "beliefs" are not as clear cut as he demands them to b

When I don't have sufficient information to say something intelligent about a topic I admit it. I don't try to bullshit my way through it by frantically googling for 60 seconds -->

Frantic googling for tiny tidbits of info is your forte.
You miss the forest for the trees doing that. That's why you never have sufficient and necessary knowledge to speak with any depth and understanding on a wide range of topics. That's why you didn't understand Baptists are a Protestant denomination.

Encyclopedia Britannica

Baptists trace much of their theological heritage to the events, figures, and principles of the Protestant Reformation. Baptists particularly value the principles of the Protestant Reformation that inspired subsequent generations of Baptists. We commit ourselves anew to the biblical convictions of the Protestant Reformation”

“The Baptist religion is another popular denomination in Protestant Christianity.

Christinanity.com

"Baptist

Pew Research Center

Clearview Baptist Church

Gallup News

Politico.com

New York Times

]

Young and Floyd Issue Joint Statement on Racial Injustice - National Baptist Convention, USA Inc.

WHy is this dishonest style of posting so attractive to you, Cypress? Are you REALLY unable to be honest in a discussion? You really are amazingly dishonest.

Which is how we all know YOU are the true frantic googler.

When I don't have sufficient information to say something intelligent about a topic I admit it. I don't try to bullshit my way through it by frantically googling for 60 seconds -->

Frantic googling for tiny tidbits of info is your forte.
You miss the forest for the trees doing that. That's why you never have sufficient and necessary knowledge to speak with any depth and understanding on a wide range of topics. That's why you didn't understand Baptists are a Protestant denomination.

Encyclopedia Britannica

Christinanity.com

"Baptist

Pew Research Center

Clearview Baptist Church

Gallup News

Politico.com

New York Times

]

Back