Why do people still believe in Jesus and Christianity?

Probably because most humans feel that a materialistic view of a reality which consists of nothing more than quarks, electrons, bosons is pretty cynical and depressing.

I believe the human brain is generally wired to believe in an ultimate reality, a higher truth that reaches beyond a collection of subatomic particles.

I am a Christian. I find that there is nothing about quarks, electrons, or bosons, that conflict with anything about my religion. Fascinating theories and models to be sure. I find nothing about them to be cynical or depressing.

I am a Christian. I find that there is nothing about quarks, electrons, or bosons, that conflict with anything about my religion. Fascinating theories and models to be sure. I find nothing about them to be cynical or depressing.

Bullshit A1, subparagraph 3e

Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and do not utter the words "fucking" or "cockroach" and thou shall have eternal life.......

A true follower of Jesus knows that the sin is in the intent, the harm it does. Not just the simple word. It's how a person uses fucking or cockroach that determines if they are on a Christian path, not whether they utter the words.

Do you believe Yakuda used cockroaches in a Christian loving manner? Yes or no, please.

What is that "ultimate reality?"

This is a question that an entire branch of philosophy has been about, called phenomenology. This branch of philosophy is concerned with how we each perceive the universe around us. It literally defines what is 'real' to each of us and why it is 'real'. There is no absolute 'real'. 'Real' is simply what each of us consider to be 'real'. It is as unique to each of us as a fingerprint. How we interpret what we observe defines our 'reality'.

So there is no 'ultimate reality'. There is no absolute reality.

Take a simple event: the sunrise.

To one, it is a god rising into the sky to light and warm the world for his children.
To another, it is a vehicle carrying such a god.
To another, it is a fiery furnace orbiting a stationary Earth.
To another, it is the result of a stationary Sun and a spinning Earth, with the Earth also orbiting the Sun.
To another, the Sun is not stationary, and neither is the Earth. They orbit each other around a point called the barycenter, the Sun is a fusion reaction, and the whole mess is speeding through space as it orbits a central point in our galaxy, which itself is moving through space relative to other galaxies.

Same event, four different interpretations of it. Each interpretation is incompatible with any other. Each is the 'reality' of the observer. The observer imposes his interpretation on what his sensory stimuli tell him, even if that stimuli is enhanced by instrumentation of some kind. It is this interpretation that defines our 'reality', which is different for each and every one of us.

This, in a nutshell, is what phenomenology is all about. How we observe and interpret the world around us. It defines 'real' and 'reality'.

Anything which cannot be tested for truth is itself meaningless.
No, it is not meaningless. There are many religions. Many of which have shaped our culture in some way. That has meaning.
Like I said, why not worship the possibility that God is an elephant. We can't prove it false, right?
If you believe God is an elephant. Go right ahead. Worship it. You are correct. You can't prove it False. You also cannot prove it True.

Why must it be meaningless?

That is a bumper sticker, not a comment discussing anything serious.

Are there any sentient beings living on any of the planets circling the nearest 25 stars to Sol?

No goddam way to test it.

But is it meaningless?

No. Many religions (which can't be tested as a proof either way) have done much to shape cultures and societies. They are certainly not meaningless.

Absolutely it does.
Nope. There is no voting bloc in science.
Nobel prize winner Heisenberg points this out.
Science is not a Nobel prize. Science is not Heisenberg. Science is not people at all. Science is a set of falsifiable theories.
How does information among scientists circulate?
Sometimes sharing a cup of coffee in the break room, sometimes just lab chatter, sometimes by writing a book or posting in a magazine or journal, sometimes at a BBQ among friends.
Through juried journals, conferences, shared research at universities.

Science is not a magazine, journal, book, paper, a 'research' or a 'study', a university, government agency, license, degree, Nobel prize, nor any scientist. It is not people at all. Science is a set of falsifiable theories. That's it. That's all. No more. No less.
The Church of Global Warming denies science, specifically the 1st and 2nd laws of thermodynamics and the Stefan-Boltzmann law.

You cannot create energy out of a magick gas.
You cannot trap heat.
You cannot trap thermal energy. There is always heat.
You cannot trap light.
You cannot reduce entropy in any system.

The Church of Global Warming also denies mathematics, specifically statistical, probability, and random number mathematics.

You can't even define 'global warming'.

No. Myth just means an account of events which cannot be empirically tested for truth. Was Jesus son of God? No fact of the matter.

A myth is a story involving supernatural beings or events. It is not the religion itself. Whether Jesus is the Son of God is not an event.

Back