Why do we trust the church?

And if your bar for Christian behavior is desh, I'd call that a little low.

just pointing out that the folks around here who caste judgment are usually the non-Christians......yourself included.....you've told me several times that I'm not a good Christian......to me that seems a bit judgmental......

just pointing out that the folks around here who caste judgment are usually the non-Christians......yourself included.....you've told me several times that I'm not a good Christian......to me that seems a bit judgmental......

You seem confused, Pastor. I thought Hindus were obsessed with "caste".

Hitting the Jesus juice already?

When you say church do you mean a massive organized church like the Catholic Church, or LDS, and things like that or do you mean the church as in where you attend services every week?

I think that there should be trust of the church regardless of your denomination but if that trust is abused then steps should be taken to earn that trust back. I trust my church that I attend in my hometown where I grew up and also the church that I attend when I'm in school, including the services on campus. I've had no reason not to trust them. I won't speak on the Catholic Church and trust since i'm not Catholic.

When you say church do you mean a massive organized church like the Catholic Church, or LDS, and things like that or do you mean the church as in where you attend services every week? I think that there should be trust of the church regardless of your denomination but if that trust is abused then steps should be taken to earn that trust back. I trust my church that I attend in my hometown where I grew up and also the church that I attend when I'm in school, including the services on campus. I've had no reason not to trust them. I won't speak on the Catholic Church and trust since i'm not Catholic.

I keep seeing news reports about ministers molesting children, absconding with funds, etc.

Why do you suppose so many criminals are attracted to churches?

I keep seeing news reports about ministers molesting children, absconding with funds, etc.

I keep seeing news reports where blacks constantly commit crimes.

Why do you suppose they do so at a far higher percentage than their proportion in society?

I keep seeing news reports where blacks constantly commit crimes. Why do you suppose they do so at a far higher percentage than their proportion in society?

Because they attend church?

zghhm-1trkm3jgtqxvdnga.gif

You're someone who I think misinterprets what it should mean to be a Christian. Since you push your beliefs on others, I have no problem commenting on that.

I don't judge the lives of others, or proclaim that they're going to hell if they don't do as I say. I guess it's a matter of scale.

When you consider how many ministers and people working in the church there are in this country it is hardly fair to judge them all based on the sins of the few. The people that molest children and steal money are clearly doing wrong and should be caught and held responsible, but their actions do not make me distrust my own church and the people in it.

When you say church do you mean a massive organized church like the Catholic Church, or LDS, and things like that or do you mean the church as in where you attend services every week?

I think that there should be trust of the church regardless of your denomination but if that trust is abused then steps should be taken to earn that trust back. I trust my church that I attend in my hometown where I grew up and also the church that I attend when I'm in school, including the services on campus. I've had no reason not to trust them. I won't speak on the Catholic Church and trust since i'm not Catholic.

I get that. In terms of the Spotlight scandal that I referenced in the OP, it's the Catholic Church. In terms of those who handed the Bible down to us, it was "THE church" - the only one that really existed at that time. More than anything, it's an observation on human frailty & why we give the church in general so much in terms of moral authority.

I'm not here to judge your personal choices or what you get out of your individual church. I'm sure it's been interpreted this way by some, but this is not a "bash Christianity" thread. I respect people's beliefs in general. If religion didn't negatively affect so many things in the world - laws, war, bigotry, attitudes, rights - I wouldn't even bring it up. It's a personal thing and should remain that way. But it does affect those things, so my message is to urge those who approach it that way to examine their beliefs & the origin of those beliefs, and to use the reasoning ability that God gave us.

When you consider how many ministers and people working in the church there are in this country it is hardly fair to judge them all based on the sins of the few. The people that molest children and steal money are clearly doing wrong and should be caught and held responsible, but their actions do not make me distrust my own church and the people in it.

It's exactly what Troll does. He plays pick and choose, makes it appear as if all churches are bad, then claims those who do what he does are wrong.

He's a cowardly troll that hides behind his computer.

Did I say I was judging them all?

I don't think that only "a few" churchgoers commit "sins". Do you?

A whole lot of 'em commit crimes, too.

Just because you don't know about it doesn't mean it isn't happening. Did all the people in the Duggars' church know about Josh?

Back