Why Should Anyone Believe in Global Warming?

Obviously not. Why do you ask?

Yet you have argued the exact opposite. Now you say that one thermometer at 'X location' in West Virginia cannot measure the entire State of West Virginia.

Now comes the question for you: why? What is it that makes one thermometer not able to measure the entire State of West Virginia?

There's a difference between measuring every square inch of the earth, or a state, vs having enough data to have draw conclusions.
So NOW you say ONE thermometer is capable of measuring the entire State of West Virginia. Make up your mind, dude.
I assume you don't have thermostats covering every square inch of your house to have an "accurate" measure of the temperature inside your house?
A thermostat does not have an accurate measure of temperature inside your house. Some rooms are cold, others are hot. There is only one thermometer. It cannot measure the cold rooms or the hot rooms.

You're looking for a gotcha that isn't there.
The "gotcha" already happened. You created it for yourself the very moment that you affirmed for me that one thermometer at 'X location' within West Virginia cannot accurately measure the temperature of anywhere within the entire State of West Virginia. That's the moment that you affirmed for me that "1 thermometer per roughly 26,000 sq miles" is "obviously not [accurate]". That's the moment that you affirmed for me that NASA's current temperature station system "obviously cannot" accurately measure the temperature of the entire Earth.

The "gotcha" already happened. It sure sucks to be you.

You could put tens of thousands of thermometers in any state and you could still find that one square foot somewhere that isn't measured.
Are you affirming for me that a temperature VARIANCE value is vitally important (and that said value needs to be declared and justified)? E.g. -- temperature might not vary all that much from sq foot to sq foot, but maybe it DOES vary greatly from sq mile to sq mile.

Measuring temperature trends isn't based on measuring every square foot of a given space. Do you think the news, when they say "today's temperature is xx number of degrees above/below average" are just throwing darts at a dart board in the back room? Come on.....
Essentially, yes.

Now answer my questions:

How is "1 thermometer per roughly 26,000 sq miles" ANY different than "1 thermometer per roughly 26,000 sq miles"?

Why do you, in the first instance, conclude that such an instance is "obviously not [accurate]" but in the second instance, conclude that such an instance is "enough data to draw conclusions"?

Last edited:
You're looking for a gotcha that isn't there.
You already stepped in the gotcha. You didn't even bother to clean off your shoes yet.
You could put tens of thousands of thermometers in any state and you could still find that one square foot somewhere that isn't measured.
That is correct. You are having difficulty here because you do not understand what you need for the math here, since you deny and discard statistical mathematics.
Measuring temperature trends isn't based on measuring every square foot of a given space.
Base rate fallacy. You cannot measure a change between two absolute measurements without TAKING THE ABSOLUTE MEASUREMENTS IN THE FIRST PLACE.
THEN you must justify why those two points in time are significant, and any other two points in time are NOT significant.
Do you think the news, when they say "today's temperature is xx number of degrees above/below average" are just throwing darts at a dart board in the back room? Come on.....
That is exactly what they are doing, effectively.

So NOW you say ONE thermometer is capable of measuring the entire State of West Virginia. Make up your mind, dude.

A thermostat does not have an accurate measure of temperature inside your house. Some rooms are cold, others are hot. There is only one thermometer. It cannot measure the cold rooms or the hot rooms.

There are 12 thermometers in WV. :palm:

You already stepped in the gotcha. You didn't even bother to clean off your shoes yet.

That is correct. You are having difficulty here because you do not understand what you need for the math here, since you deny and discard statistical mathematics.

Base rate fallacy. You cannot measure a change between two absolute measurements without TAKING THE ABSOLUTE MEASUREMENTS IN THE FIRST PLACE.
THEN you must justify why those two points in time are significant, and any other two points in time are NOT significant.

That is exactly what they are doing, effectively.

Claim after claim after claim after claim after claim that you still can't support with facts. You are an absolute waste of time. You bring nothing to the discussion but opinion.:laugh:

Last edited:
There are 12 thermometers in WV. :palm:

If there are twelve thermometers in West Virginia, then there are NO thermometers elsewhere.
Location grouping is a significant biasing factor. I must be eliminated. Thermometers must be uniformly spaced.

You still have no clue what gfm7175 was talking about, do ya?

You still don't know statistical mathematics.

If there are twelve thermometers in West Virginia, then there are NO thermometers elsewhere.
Location grouping is a significant biasing factor. I must be eliminated. Thermometers must be uniformly spaced.

You still have no clue what gfm7175 was talking about, do ya?

You still don't know statistical mathematics.

You are uninformed. The quantity and location of thermometers is available on line. For the love of God, man, educate yourself!

You are uninformed. The quantity and location of thermometers is available on line. For the love of God, man, educate yourself!

And it shows they are not uniformly spaced, and that there are nowhere near enough thermometers to even begin a statistical analysis that makes any sense.

You still deny statistical math.

It is not possible to measure the temperature of the Earth.

And it shows they are not uniformly spaced, and that there are nowhere near enough thermometers to even begin a statistical analysis that makes any sense.

Then show your evidence of how the location and quantity is a statistical issue.

It shows they are not uniformly spaced? Link/map?

YOUR problem. Inversion fallacy. You cannot blame YOUR problem on anybody else.

It seems we've got an impasse. You, IDM and gfm have a laundry list of claims you can't support, that you want me to believe and I'm not going to believe your laundry list of claims you can't support.

TTFN

Back