Alec Baldwin Sues ‘Rust’ Armorer and Crew for Giving Him a Loaded Gun

If you did, you'd know that single action revolvers don't have a "hair trigger."

I let the experts speak.

The publication goes on to say that a single-action revolver with the old-style firing mechanism can fire without either the hammer being cocked or the trigger being pulled but if there is a live round, a "sharp jolt" can lead to a shot.

"When the hammer is down on that kind of revolver, the firing pin protrudes and, if a live round is loaded in the chamber underneath, a sharp enough jolt can cause the pin to strike the round's primer with enough force to set it off," it explains.

https://www.newsweek.com/what-kind-gun-did-alec-baldwin-rust-fired-1655809

I let the experts speak.

The publication goes on to say that a single-action revolver with the old-style firing mechanism can fire without either the hammer being cocked or the trigger being pulled but if there is a live round, a "sharp jolt" can lead to a shot.

"When the hammer is down on that kind of revolver, the firing pin protrudes and, if a live round is loaded in the chamber underneath, a sharp enough jolt can cause the pin to strike the round's primer with enough force to set it off," it explains.

https://www.newsweek.com/what-kind-gun-did-alec-baldwin-rust-fired-1655809

Nope. In newer versions of single action revolvers, the firing pin does not protrude. That was present on the old Colt revolvers. this was not a Colt revolver.

Source please.

I own a colt revolver. I also own a newer Ruger single action revolver, and it (like all newer versions of single action revolvers) has a safety mechanism that prevents the firing pin from ever touching the primer without the hammer being cocked.

I own a colt revolver. I also own a newer Ruger single action revolver, and it (like all newer versions of single action revolvers) has a safety mechanism that prevents the firing pin from ever touching the primer without the hammer being cocked.

You are NOT an approved source.

Shut Up.

Or else.

!

That isn't what I asked. I asked for a source that Alec used a new version of the revolver.

Nope. In newer versions of single action revolvers, the firing pin does not protrude. That was present on the old Colt revolvers. this was not a Colt revolver.

Whatever this gun was I have been told in the past that it was heavily modified.

It is worth noting that had this happened in The Good Old days when we had journalists there is a 99% chance that we would know by now what happened.

Dark Ages Suck!

"Each test — with the hammer at rest, with the hammer in the quarter- and half-cock positions and with the hammer at full cock position — resulted in the same conclusion that the gun would not have fired "without a pull of the trigger."

https://news.yahoo.com/gun-used-alec-baldwin-rust-183229859.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

Interesting. So we have experts that are split in the middle.

Also there's this.

It was unclear from the FBI report how many times the revolver's hammer may have been struck during the testing.

"The gun fired in testing only one time—without having to pull the trigger—when the hammer was pulled back and the gun broke in two different places," Nikas alleged. "The FBI was unable to fire the gun in any prior test, even when pulling the trigger, because it was in such poor condition."

Thank you for the source.

Interesting. So we have experts that are split in the middle.

Also there's this.

It was unclear from the FBI report how many times the revolver's hammer may have been struck during the testing.

"The gun fired in testing only one time—without having to pull the trigger—when the hammer was pulled back and the gun broke in two different places," Nikas alleged. "The FBI was unable to fire the gun in any prior test, even when pulling the trigger, because it was in such poor condition."

Thank you for the source.

It was a modern Italian made Pietta reproduction of a Colt SA Army revolver. It was not in "poor condition."

Back