Amazon Tavern

& they soon new all about you & the whispering & rumors fly..

I talked to an 80 year old lady that is related to me some how.

I was working on my ancestry & she was from the same dot on the map as my father was & she knew all the gossip, as if it was yesterday... & was very eager to volunteer gossip about everyone in town as well as those that left..

I doubt that shithole has ever had more than a couple hundred ppl living there, not even a store-only enterprise is a bar........lol

They had heard about before we went,that was just their first eyewitness look,at the Toledo gangster!

Isn't that hilarious? Where was that at?

It's kind of like that here too. The first thing you're asked when you move here is if you plan to stay the winters. Our house is known by the name of the former owners -- "Oh, I know where that is, that's the old ___ place." lol If you meet someone new there's a very good chance you know someone in common.

Tiny dot on the map in Illinois, along the Mississippi, about 15 miles down & across the river from Burlington, Iowa...

I lived @ a place like that on a small lake... SO the CC&R's stated no back fences & when I moved in I would paddle around the lake & lots of old guys were out fishing etc.. When they asked were I lived I would tell them the big oak tree & many of them would say, "oh, you know they didn't have any blinds". :rofl2:

She was a very beautiful lady and the master bedroom had two windows facing the lake & they had a jacuzzi out on the deck & I guess w/ the lights facing up into the tree lighting it they noticed it was clothing optional @ times as well..

Tiny dot on the map in Illinois, along the Mississippi, about 15 miles down & across the river from Burlington, Iowa...

I lived @ a place like that on a small lake... SO the CC&R's stated no back fences & when I moved in I would paddle around the lake & lots of old guys were out fishing etc.. When they asked were I lived I would tell them the big oak tree & many of them would say, "oh, you know they didn't have any blinds". :rofl2:

She was a very beautiful lady and the master bedroom had two windows facing the lake & they had a jacuzzi out on the deck & I guess w/ the lights facing up into the tree lighting it they noticed it was clothing optional @ times as well..

So did you see anything? lol

All catch & release, small mouth bass & a perch we call blue gill... There was also a koi or two that someone dumped in there... We had some otters for a while but they disappeared & they & the Cormorants decimated the fish in the winter as the water was clear & the fish lethargic...

All catch & release, small mouth bass & a perch we call blue gill... There was also a koi or two that someone dumped in there... We had some otters for a while but they disappeared & they & the Cormorants decimated the fish in the winter as the water was clear & the fish lethargic...

Blue gill taste great!I had a gf whose father caught lots of them!Beer battered them!

Blue gill taste great!I had a gf whose father caught lots of them!Beer battered them!

We used to go north in the summer for vacation to visit the grands and go fishing. Mom would save 1/2 gallon wax milk cartons with the tops cut off. Dad would clean the fish and put them in the cartons, then fill with water and freeze to bring home. Mom fried 'em up with a corn meal batter. OMG so good. I still eat them that way. Fresh caught bluegill and corn on the cob.... that's summer time goodness right there! Now I get them all to myself because Mr. Owl won't eat fish with bones. lol

Snowed us in today!:(

Wow, for real?! It's been above average here, snow's melting like crazy, we're down to about a foot and a half now. I hate this part of winter. It thaws during the day and refreezes at night. So it's mud by day and then at night everything turns into a skating rink. Ice cleats are our best friends. This month's full moon is called onaabani-giizis -- the snow-crust moon.

Wow, for real?! It's been above average here, snow's melting like crazy, we're down to about a foot and a half now. I hate this part of winter. It thaws during the day and refreezes at night. So it's mud by day and then at night everything turns into a skating rink. Ice cleats are our best friends. This month's full moon is called onaabani-giizis -- the snow-crust moon.
Break up is what Alaskans call it.

We used to go north in the summer for vacation to visit the grands and go fishing. Mom would save 1/2 gallon wax milk cartons with the tops cut off. Dad would clean the fish and put them in the cartons, then fill with water and freeze to bring home. Mom fried 'em up with a corn meal batter. OMG so good. I still eat them that way. Fresh caught bluegill and corn on the cob.... that's summer time goodness right there! Now I get them all to myself because Mr. Owl won't eat fish with bones. lol

There's only one natural lake in Texas, Caddo Lake, which straddles the Texas/Louisiana border north of Shreveport. All other lakes are man-made including one of the largest near me, Lake Texoma which straddles the Texas-Oklahoma border. I like to kayak fish since it's quiet, good exercise and I can get into any waterway with 6 inches of water or more. Lake Texoma is my favorite spot since my wife and I have a small house up there, but I've also fished a few of the lakes in the DFW metroplex.

I don't fish just for fun and don't catch more than my limit or what I want to clean, so I avoid some of the lakes closer to DFW because they are so polluted with PCBs, the fish can't be eaten. Lakes further out are okay.

My current kayak, an Ocean Prowler 13 with fish finder:
View attachment 14587

There's only one natural lake in Texas, Caddo Lake, which straddles the Texas/Louisiana border north of Shreveport. All other lakes are man-made including one of the largest near me, Lake Texoma which straddles the Texas-Oklahoma border. I like to kayak fish since it's quiet, good exercise and I can get into any waterway with 6 inches of water or more. Lake Texoma is my favorite spot since my wife and I have a small house up there, but I've also fished a few of the lakes in the DFW metroplex.

I don't fish just for fun and don't catch more than my limit or what I want to clean, so I avoid some of the lakes closer to DFW because they are so polluted with PCBs, the fish can't be eaten. Lakes further out are okay.

View attachment 14587

What a sweet rig that is! I've got a sea kayak and have tried fishing in the smaller inland lakes here, but it's really not suitable for that. For one thing it has a closed cockpit so the anchor rope tends to get wadded up in a mess under your feet. Once I tossed it over and saw to my horror that it was wrapped around my ankle. That almost turned out badly. lol

My brother lives in Richardson. It's pretty amazing how that whole area has grown and sprawled in the last few decades. Are you more rural, or in a metro area?

What a sweet rig that is! I've got a sea kayak and have tried fishing in the smaller inland lakes here, but it's really not suitable for that. For one thing it has a closed cockpit so the anchor rope tends to get wadded up in a mess under your feet. Once I tossed it over and saw to my horror that it was wrapped around my ankle. That almost turned out badly. lol

My brother lives in Richardson. It's pretty amazing how that whole area has grown and sprawled in the last few decades. Are you more rural, or in a metro area?

Ouch on the anchor incident. I like the open top kayak even though they are wetter. As the saying goes, "Easier to fall out of, but easier to get into". For cold weather, I have a shorty wetsuit. In hot weather, I'll take a dip to cool off.

View attachment 14589

I'm west of Richardson and in a rural area north of Fort Worth. It used to be so rural I could walk outside naked, pee on the flowers and go pick up my newspaper, but now it's grown enough that I'd piss off the neighbors even though all of us have 2-5 acres.

My wife is on a "neighborhood" Facebook page. Last summer I was in my backyard shooting a .22 and .38 pistol into a metal target box. The next day someone posted on the FB page "Who was shooting about 5PM last night???" My wife knew, of course, but didn't say anything. Someone else posted "Welcome to Texas!"

View attachment 14587

I kayak all the time as well, I'm in Calif so do lakes, small rivers & coastal sloughs & bays......

I kayak all the time as well, I'm in Calif so do lakes, small rivers & coastal sloughs & bays......

What part of California? I was out there in the early 80s in the Marine Corps (MCAS Tustin). I didn't fish except on the ocean and didn't do that very much, but the mountains are gorgeous.

What kind of kayak do you have?

My current kayak trailer project will be something like this:
View attachment 14590

Back