Amnesty bill is up again

LadyT

JPP Modarater
Contributor
http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/06/24/congress.immigration.ap/index.html

If no one is happy about it, why is it still on the table?

"Democrats have taken hits from their normal allies, including labor and some Hispanic groups. They say the proposal is bad for workers or that provisions for obtaining visas place too much emphasis on skills, to the disadvantage of family ties."

"Mississippi Sen. Trent Lott has faced critical ads back home over his support for the bill."

"But Alabama Republican Sen. Jeff Sessions, a leading critic of the legislation, argued that support for the bill continues to plummet, both among senators thought to be behind it and among the public."

Looks like congress is yet again ignoring the will of the people.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/06/24/congress.immigration.ap/index.html

If no one is happy about it, why is it still on the table?

"Democrats have taken hits from their normal allies, including labor and some Hispanic groups. They say the proposal is bad for workers or that provisions for obtaining visas place too much emphasis on skills, to the disadvantage of family ties."

"Mississippi Sen. Trent Lott has faced critical ads back home over his support for the bill."

"But Alabama Republican Sen. Jeff Sessions, a leading critic of the legislation, argued that support for the bill continues to plummet, both among senators thought to be behind it and among the public."

Looks like congress is yet again ignoring the will of the people.

If the will of the people is against amnesty, the only pragmatic option, the will of the people is ignorant and should be ignored.

Damo mentioned the other stuff and then I started playing with the rate this thread button and then when I got a message back saying I couldn't rate my own threads, I logged in as tianabautre. I was wondering who'd pick up on that first :p

Damo mentioned the other stuff and then I started playing with the rate this thread button and then when I got a message back saying I couldn't rate my own threads, I logged in as tianabautre. I was wondering who'd pick up on that first :p

LOL! I knew it!

If the will of the people is against amnesty, the only pragmatic option, the will of the people is ignorant and should be ignored.

Well, number one, I don't think giving law breakers amnesty every 20 years for the same thing is pragmatic. But bigger picture is that even the groups this bill is supposedly going to help don't like it. People that are against amnesty don't like it. The only people that are behind it are the senators that are drafting it.

Well, number one, I don't think giving law breakers amnesty every 20 years for the same thing is pragmatic. But bigger picture is that even the groups this bill is supposedly going to help don't like it. People that are against amnesty don't like it. The only people that are behind it are the senators that are drafting it.

I never really got the whole immigration thing. But it's stupid to throw out 12 million "Law breakers" (like, you're a "law breaker" if you get a fucking speeding ticket) because they came at the wrong time and our immigration laws have no mechanism to adapt to the time. To break up so many families, cause so much heartbreak, and for what? To raise fucking low-end wages two cents or so? It's just fucking beaurocracy and populism at it's worst. There's nothing I've ever gotten less than those immigration loons.

I never really got the whole immigration thing. But it's stupid to throw out 12 million "Law breakers" (like, you're a "law breaker" if you get a fucking speeding ticket) because they came at the wrong time and our immigration laws have no mechanism to adapt to the time. To break up so many families, cause so much heartbreak, and for what? To raise fucking low-end wages two cents or so? It's just fucking beaurocracy and populism at it's worst. There's nothing I've ever gotten less than those immigration loons.
You are a "lawbreaker" if you get a speeding ticket. There is, however, a difference between civil and criminal laws.

I never really got the whole immigration thing. But it's stupid to throw out 12 million "Law breakers" (like, you're a "law breaker" if you get a fvcking speeding ticket) because they came at the wrong time and our immigration laws have no mechanism to adapt to the time. To break up so many families, cause so much heartbreak, and for what? To raise fucking low-end wages two cents or so? It's just fucking beaurocracy and populism at it's worst. There's nothing I've ever gotten less than those immigration loons.

#1) The security issue is what bugs me
#2) Its a slap in the face to the millions that have come here legally and have gone through the process becoming legal. As a matter of fact you're better off sneaking in and paying a fine rather than going through the process that we currently have in place.
#3) If you sneak in somewhere, you risk getting caught. If you want to ensure your familystays in tact immigrate lawfully
#4) While I think those who came here unlawfully should be put to the back of the line, I also think INS needs to speed up its process 20 fold in granting both residency and citizenship and additionally we should up the quotas significantly. I'm not against immigration. I just dont' think its fair to reward people for circumventing our laws.
#5) Wage depression. Face it. Its real. Illegals do the jobs for a significantly less amount than legal residents which in turn has driven down a large amount of blue collar worker wages.

And I'm glad you made the analogy to speeding tickets. Yes. I'm a law breaker when I speed. But that's the chance I take. If I don't want to get caught, the smart thing to do would be to stop speeding.

i got an idea...

lets make a trade with mexico, keep all the illeagles here and they can have all our politicians, not just some, all of em.

done deal

And being that illegal immigration is victimless, it would be genocide to call it criminal law.
It would not be "genocide" to call it anything at all. Genocide is a specific action that does not include mislabeling immigration. That is hyperbole, serious exaggeration, ridiculous extreme...

It doesn't even follow logically that it would be genocide.

Illegal immigration is victimless ? How about the ones that pay more taxes because of it ? Or lose their job or make less money ? Or pay the coyotes or die from the attempt...

Very few things that happen are truely victimless.

Illegal immigration is victimless ? How about the ones that pay more taxes because of it ? Or lose their job or make less money ? Or pay the coyotes or die from the attempt...

Very few things that happen are truely victimless.

Maybe if you were dead, US, somebody else could fill in your job. Does that make you a criminal?

We don't pay more taxes because of illegals, and the illegals would be worth the taxes they didn't pay in any cases. Not everything should be calculated in only benefit to the government.

Back