Another mass shooting in Chicago.

Jarod actually makes a good point.

Those of a libertarian bent tend to think the Constitutional safeguards we currently have were in place from the founding of the Constitution. Not so. The first search and seizure case did not make its way to the US Supreme Court until 1913. Prior to that, any search by law enforcement was considered reasonable. And even that 1913 case only applied to federal law enforcement, not local law enforcement.

So when libertarians are bemoaning the loss of the Founders' vision over cases involving something like police making entry into a dwelling upon the smell of marijuana...

For that to have been the Founders' vision we would have to assume that immediately after the signing of the Constitution the country was taken over by wild-eyed liberals, and it wasn't until originalists like Thurgood Marshall and Hugo Black came along that their vision was somewhat restored.

1)blacks and slaves were considered property, not people (not that I agreed with that)
2) government can only deny you a basic fundamental right with the approval of an idiot populace. the right still exists, you're just being denied the ability to exercise it.

SO it was not an absolute right if Blacks and other slaves were not granted that right... Correct?

I don't think its a fundamental or absolute right, never has been treated as such even by the founders.

Funny, I seem to remember reading history about legislation requiring all firearms within certain town limits being required to be stored in an armory. I know many pre-civil war towns in the west required all firearms be checked into the sheriff before entering town. There were types of rifles that were banned in certain counties and states.

Where are the citations for the "many" laws you "remember"?

SO it was not an absolute right if Blacks and other slaves were not granted that right... Correct?
so if the government makes any law it wants and a compliant court says it's ok, then rights are not absolute?

again with the foolish irony you can't seem to grasp. we the people created the federal government to safeguard our rights, not to determine our rights.

I don't think its a fundamental or absolute right, never has been treated as such even by the founders.

there are numerous cases before the civil war that has many courts saying that it was indeed absolute.

Bliss v. Commonwealth (1822, KY),[28] which evaluated the right to bear arms in defense of themselves and the state pursuant to Section 28 of the Second Constitution of Kentucky (1799). The right to bear arms in defense of themselves and the state was interpreted as an individual right, for the case of a concealed sword cane. This case has been described as about "a statute prohibiting the carrying of concealed weapons [that] was violative of the Second Amendment".

The first relevant state court decision was Bliss v. Commonwealth. The Kentucky court held that "the right of citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State must be preserved entire, ..."" "This holding was unique because it stated that the right to bear arms is absolute and unqualified.

roughly 10k people die each year from guns. that is .000033 of the population.

your chances of getting killed by a gun in any particular year is 1 in 30,000... probably around 1 in 350 lifetime over a span of 80ish years.

Not to mention your chances of getting killed by a gun are lower if you live in an area that isn't high on gun control in the usa.

Cancer is 1 in 7 to kill you in your lifetime.
heart disease 1 in 5,
dying in an auto accident is 1 in 100,
killing yourself by falling the fuck over from somewhere is 1 in 250 for gods sake.

You gun grabbers are fraidy cat pussies.

All this faux outrage would be better spent getting people to stop eating cheeseburgers.

Guns are not a serious threat.

No amount of stupid dead kids will ever change my mind.

Our side is more dedicated than yours. We always will be. Gun grabbers only practice faux outrage, they don't really care when the going gets tough.

20 kids got their faces blown open, and you couldn't even muster expanded background checks 2-3 months later, LOL!!!

FROM OUR COLD DEAD HANDS MOTHERFUCKERS!

Well of course being shown reminders of all those "stupid dead kids" won't change your mind.

You've already proven what a self-absorbed little douche you are when it comes to the concerns of anyone other than yourself.

It's what drove you to come on here pissing about how put upon you were when a family member came to you for help and how, thanks to your lack of a soul, you couldn't be bothered to show even the tiniest bit of compassion towards her when she most needed some.

Dude.... you could make the same argument about highway deaths.

We could eliminate highway deaths by virtually 100% if we made the national speed limit 20 miles per hour. Nobody would be legally going fast enough to hurt anybody. Win win.

But then you'd say that's a ridiculous suggestion because people are going to go faster anyway, no matter what the law says. Then I could reply with liberal claptrap like; "Oh! You see? The Dude is willing to send thousands of people to their deaths each year in fiery car wrecks so that he can zip along to his pedicure appointment at the ungodly speed of 30 miles per hour!"

Or we could discuss the issues like adults.

As I'm sure you've discovered now, that's not something Topspin (The Dude) is capable of, especially on this particular subject.

As I'm sure you've discovered now, that's not something Topspin (The Dude) is capable of, especially on this particular subject.

So now the guy who sticks his fingers in his ears whenever he come across an opinion he doesn't agree with thinks he can lecture others on how to be an "adult".

OK. Let me restate that then. There is substantially more risk involved. Also, too, Indiana is, like, right next to Chicago.
It's also illegal to purchase handguns across state lines (apparently this was a drive by). It's also illegal for IL residents to purchase firearms in any state without a FOID card. And lastly, risk isn't a inherent factor for those who consider doing malfeasance.

Another mass shooting recently happened in a Chicago park.11 people were killed including a small child, How does the Right support its opposition to gun control with so many mass shootings happening so close together.
I support gun control for street gangstas who do all the shootings, butt we need our guns to protect ourselves from the street thugs. There will not be any new gun laws passed from now on like infinity, in my opinion. The vast majority of the American People are on my side, not yours.

And we regulate how cars are made.
We regulate how they can be used.
We spend millions on traffic enforcement.
We prosecute auto crimes.
WE REQUIRE A LISCENCE TO OPERATE A VEHICLE.
WE REQUIRE INSURANCE TO BE ALLOWED TO OPERATE A VEHICLE.
OUT GOVERNMENT KEEPS TRACK OF WHO IS ALLOWED TO DRIVE AND WILL TAKE THAT RIGHT AWAY IF YOU ABUSE IT.

We do most of those things with guns too.....and more in places like Chicago and Washington DC....whats your point ?

Back