Anyone from coastal NC,SC, GA area?

I live on one of the highest ridge lines in my area, sort of. The best way to describe it is living in the crater of a volcano with one side blown off. There is plenty of high ground to get to if need be in a matter of 30 seconds. My only real danger is surface water coming down hill. If the storm ditches over flow, it ends up in my yard as does happen a few times a year. Once in my yard it parallels my house down to the other end of the ditch where it is wide enough to take a river of water The real question is whether overtopping water from ditches will be enough at once to overcome the slope away from my foundation to reach it. When we had 8 inches last year off a hurricane, the ditches did fine as it was over a period of hours. We've had 12 inches over a period of time with only minor over topping. I have no idea what 27 inches would look like but my insurance renewed Sept 1 ;)

Just be safe my friend.

There's a chance it will hit the area I'm in. Not sure how much damage it will do this far inland. Anyway it's almost certainly going to hit the Carolinas.

Just be safe my friend.

Thanks. Always am. I just hope we don't lose electricity for a long period of time. I have gone over a week without it before in that fine southern heat and humidity, and it royally sucked. Am told every battery, generator, and chainsaw in the city is already sold out.

Thanks. Always am. I just hope we don't lose electricity for a long period of time. I have gone over a week without it before in that fine southern heat and humidity, and it royally sucked. Am told every battery, generator, and chainsaw in the city is already sold out.

Any chance of taking a trip further out to get some of those? Might be worth it.

It was crazy here last year how quickly everything went. We left town two days before Harvey and the store shelves were already empty. We tried to find gas and milk on our return, it was mission impossible.

Good time to get ready for Florence.

My uncle lives in Hampton, Virginia. I heard the navy vessels are moving out in preparation for the storm. I know he worked at a Naval station in Yorktown, but I think he might be retired now

My uncle lives in Hampton, Virginia. I heard the navy vessels are moving out in preparation for the storm. I know he worked at a Naval station in Yorktown, but I think he might be retired now

All big vessels are heading to sea. Best place to be in a hurricane. More sea room to maneuver. I am taking a long arc around Bermuda, going to follow her in.

Yes, my sister just texted her son doesn’t know where they are going now because Virginia will be affected. They may just drive till they are out of range and stay in a hotel.

They just retired there from Vermont. We are having a reunion of my siblings in our hometown, they were heading to KS, anyway, but just moved it up a couple of days. Her son isn’t sure where they will go to ride it out, but they have family in Virginia and may go there.

Thanks

Please urge anyone you know in the area to not ride it out. This storm could be another Camille or Andrew.

Yes, my sister just texted her son doesn’t know where they are going now because Virginia will be affected. They may just drive till they are out of range and stay in a hotel.

Well my uncle has all the family back in Dayton, Ohio, to go to if needed. He was just visiting there, while me, and Mom traveled cross country.

Any chance of taking a trip further out to get some of those? Might be worth it.

Not really. I have a few chainsaws and gas. I have a billion candles and a bunch of solar powered lighting I can bring indoors. I would probably get it faster and cheaper to order a generator off Amazon LOL.

One last warning on top of the great advice Sailor has given if you are within the cone please leave, these storms can be killers hundreds of miles inland.

Not really. I have a few chainsaws and gas. I have a billion candles and a bunch of solar powered lighting I can bring indoors. I would probably get it faster and cheaper to order a generator off Amazon LOL.

As I said earlier, you have a level head. I cannot speak for Amazon but hey, anything is worth a try! lol!

Always good to see family! You are a good person.

I'm actually up at my mountain home trying to catch up on seasonal maintenance, and refinish the front door. Now, my honeydo list just got longer, and my daughter's BF and my son will be very busy here, no slackers.

I'm actually up at my mountain home trying to catch up on seasonal maintenance, and refinish the front door. Now, my honeydo list just got longer, and my daughter's BF and my son will be very busy here, no slackers.

Use the labor when you got it right? Smart.

Back