Anyone planning a big food garden in case this pandemic lasts?

Thanks for the tips. I'm ready to get started! Any info on Brussels sprouts, too?

Not grown those successfully.. Not exactly sure why other than the place I was attempting to grow them didn't have adequate sun exposure..

First & last time I tried to grow them & okra...

It seemed brocc was quicker, easier & not as fussy..

The problem is the time period on it is getting bad places. I'd see one almost big enough to pluck and I go back in a couple of days and it's the dreaded bolt effect.

Many of the varieties they sell here are slow bolt.. As we can have those heat waves in mid/late winter hitting 80's..

Never had a problem w/ brocc, cauliflower, canon balls or snow peas doing that but turnips every year, I gave up on them long ago...

Not grown those successfully.. Not exactly sure why other than the place I was attempting to grow them didn't have adequate sun exposure..

First & last time I tried to grow them & okra...

It seemed brocc was quicker, easier & not as fussy..

You need to trim them in a specific manner to start sprouts. I didn't know that and these beautiful plants produced nothing despite being great specimens.

You need to trim them in a specific manner to start sprouts. I didn't know that and these beautiful plants produced nothing despite being great specimens.

Could be I didn't do that, I don't recall it.. I got some but they were not very big, about the size of a marble & a few slightly bigger & very difficult to pull off the stem.. Are you growing them this year??

Could be I didn't do that, I don't recall it.. I got some but they were not very big, about the size of a marble & a few slightly bigger & very difficult to pull off the stem.. Are you growing them this year??

I'll just go through the seeds and grow what I got. Plenty of good basil, corn, and bean seeds is what I recall.

I wish we could plant a garden,but a giant pine tree sucks up all the water,nothing will grow very good.

Pine trees can create a soil pH problem as well. They tend to make the soil quite acidic. You might try a soil pH to see if that’s the case and adjust it accordingly.

10% bleach. That’s what my microbiologist and virologist co-workers used to disinfect their work surfaces.

That's terrible for food surfaces and around pets. Best thing for food surfaces is to take a washrag, wet it just enough and microwave it a few minutes till steaming hot. Use some tongs and the heat will kill most pathogens.

Back