Should we do it?

• OF COURSE! That's fuckin' awesome!

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • No, cancer research blah blah blah blah plus I have a vagina

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Not sure + I have a vagina

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters
This is just theoretical, though. And string theory is all theory. It's very difficult to test - we'd need much more powerful particle accelerators to test it.

I am pretty sure I read/heard several years ago that it had been measured.
That is just the first thing I found on google about it.

I could be wrong on that one.

But that does not invalidate my argument. Plenty of "facts" have been disproven.

I am pretty sure I read/heard several years ago that it had been measured.
That is just the first thing I found on google about it.

I could be wrong on that one.

But that does not invalidate my argument. Plenty of "facts" have been disproven.

The fact that facts have been proven doesn't mean that special relativity is definitely wrong in any one place.

You really have no reason to disbelieve it than the fact that you don't understand it and consider it inconvenient.

No link, but it popped up several years ago. I might look for it. As I said the difference is very slight which is why it took scientists so long to disprove the "fact" that gravity acted the same on all objects.

On the dark matter. It is obvious to anyone with a brain. The dark matter is heaven where god lives.
The dark matter is the unmated lost socks.

The dark matter is the unmated lost socks.

Naah not that many socks. Dark matter is estimated to be 5X greater than known matter. Not possible to make more socks than there is known matter.

I wonder if dark matter even shares our dimension? Perhaps gravity trancends dimensional barriers?

btw PBS Nova Now had a segment on about dark matter tonight. Strange timing.

Naah not that many socks. Dark matter is estimated to be 5X greater than known matter. Not possible to make more socks than there is known matter.

I wonder if dark matter even shares our dimension? Perhaps gravity trancends dimensional barriers?

I actually watched that.

Another theory of mine is the dark matter is the trash from the future, sent back in time so it won't fill up their landfills.

We don't know if dark matter exists or not. :-/

We know there is something wrong because the rotational curves of galaxies are flat, whereas they should slow down like solar systems. Which indicates that there's either matter there that emits no or little radiation, or that general relativity is wrong. Physiscists have considered the first solution a more likely (or easier to prove/disprove) route and have been studying it under the blanket name "dark matter". A lot of is probably just space rocks, brown dwards, and free planets (all of which emit little radiation), but physicists don't think that can explain all of it.

We don't know if dark matter exists or not. :-/

We know there is something wrong because the rotational curves of galaxies are flat, whereas they should slow down like solar systems. Which indicates that there's either matter there that emits no or little radiation, or that general relativity is wrong. Physiscists have considered the first solution a more likely (or easier to prove/disprove) route and have been studying it under the blanket name "dark matter". A lot of is probably just space rocks, brown dwards, and free planets (all of which emit little radiation), but physicists don't think that can explain all of it.

If dark matter does not exist then einstein was wrong.
The numbers are waaay off.

Congrats, you are learning. Accept all "facts" conditionally.
Be prepared to discard facts and reorg data for new conclusions.

Light has mass, but it travels at the speed of light and obviously does not require infinite energy to go that speed.

just musing....

Light has mass, but it travels at the speed of light and obviously does not require infinite energy to go that speed.

just musing....

http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/ask_astro/answers/960731.html

Photons don't have mass.

I read on Yahoo answers that they do literally have infinity energy. :-/

Which is confusing, because to have infinity energy it has to be able to convert to infinity mass. I think the author was confused.

I don't know.

Congrats, you are learning.

Thanks for the constantly patronizing attitude towards me, USC, but you are trying to teach me "lessons" I already know. Einstein may be wrong but there's a tendency amongst people to always think he's wrong about this whole speed of light thing - mainly because they find it inconvenient.

Sorry if I appear patronizing. Just a fault of mine I guess.
I think you are a bright young man and would like for you to go far.

Photons are massless particles.

There are huge gaps between the known matter in the universe and the gravitational models under which the universe behaves.

One of the most fascinating aspects of astrophysics is the grand opportunity for learning. General relativity and Special Relativity are "relatively" (:() universally accepted. The new frontier is going to be in the super macro and super micro. It is quantum mechanics that re-defined the old physics and that Einstein, who blindly believed in a clockwork universe, never accepted. But ironically, it was relativity that also redefined old physics on a macro scale. It, however, did not have the uncertainty that QM did.

Einstein Prodsky Rosen was designed to blow holes all over QM, and it was later shown to be all out accurate!!!

These are the frontiers that are so damned exciting it makes me wish I was employed.

Back