Should we do it?

• OF COURSE! That's fuckin' awesome!

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • No, cancer research blah blah blah blah plus I have a vagina

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Not sure + I have a vagina

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters
I belive that mass of the object that is being affected has an infentesimentally small affect on how its affected by a black hole, something with 0 mass would not be affected, but something with .0000001micrograms of mass would.

Photons are effected by gravitational fields not because photons have mass, but because gravity changes the shape of space-time.

Its gravity (due to its mass) is what effects the light. If light had no mass, there would be no gravity effect.

Thats the way I understand it. Light must, at least, have a very, very small mass else it would not be affected by gravity.

http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/ask_astro/answers/961102.html

Now, being scientists, we do not just accept theories like general relativity or conclusions like photons have no mass. We constantly test them, trying to definitively prove or disprove. So far, general relativity has withstood every test. And try as we might, we can measure no mass for the photon. We can just put upper limits on what mass it can have. These upper limits are determined by the sensitivity of the experiment we are using to try to "weigh the photon". The last number I saw was that a photon, if it has any mass at all, must be less than 4 x 10-48 grams. For comparison, the electron has a mass of 9 x 10-28 grams.

Things fall into a black hole because space time in a black holes area is extremely warped. They are responding to the curvature in space time, not the gravitational field...

Thats the same concept of gravity. A large mass, such as a planet warps space time and thus pulls things to it (gravity). In a black hole its just warped MUCH more than by a planet sizeed mass.

http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/ask_astro/answers/961102.html

Now, being scientists, we do not just accept theories like general relativity or conclusions like photons have no mass. We constantly test them, trying to definitively prove or disprove. So far, general relativity has withstood every test. And try as we might, we can measure no mass for the photon. We can just put upper limits on what mass it can have. These upper limits are determined by the sensitivity of the experiment we are using to try to "weigh the photon". The last number I saw was that a photon, if it has any mass at all, must be less than 4 x 10-48 grams. For comparison, the electron has a mass of 9 x 10-28 grams.

I have discussed this in depth with a professor friend of my parents, he spent his entire professional life trying to disprove the theory of General Relativity, to no success, but he still belives that the theory has its holes, he just has not been able to prove it. He is retired not and is a amature astronomer, not to be confused with an astrologist. Very interesting guy to talk with. Very strange guy, but knows a lot about the phisical world we live in, he can blow your mind.

Thats the same concept of gravity. A large mass, such as a planet warps space time and thus pulls things to it (gravity). In a black hole its just warped MUCH more than by a planet sizeed mass.

Eisteins relativity was all about how light would be effected by gravity in a universe where it had no mass. This was literally how he proved his theory.

Things fall into a black hole because space time in a black holes area is extremely warped. They are responding to the curvature in space time, not the gravitational field...
The curvature in space time is what gravity is... It's like saying, "when people are hit by a car they are responding to its velocity, not how fast it is going."

I have discussed this in depth with a professor friend of my parents, he spent his entire professional life trying to disprove the theory of General Relativity, to no success, but he still belives that the theory has its holes, he just has not been able to prove it. He is retired not and is a amature astronomer, not to be confused with an astrologist. Very interesting guy to talk with. Very strange guy, but knows a lot about the phisical world we live in, he can blow your mind.

Well good luck to him.

The curvature in space time is what gravity is... It's like saying, "when people are hit by a car they are responding to its velocity, not how fast it is going."

Thats what I said, just better worded...!

It doesn't matter. The fact is, light is lensed because of warping in space time, which effects light particles.

The result is the same, but to get a full understanding of the physical world we need to understand why, not just that it is.

Our entire knowledge of the universe around us is based on study of the Electromagnetic spectrum.

There may be lots we don't understand properly yet. Or many things that we scarcely have a clue about.

Back