Should we do it?

• OF COURSE! That's fuckin' awesome!

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • No, cancer research blah blah blah blah plus I have a vagina

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Not sure + I have a vagina

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters
I think the difference with light is that light is mass less so it takes 0 energy to accelerate it to the speed of light. Anything multiplied by 0 is 0 - even infinity.

I think the difference with light is that light is mass less so it takes 0 energy to accelerate it to the speed of light. Anything multiplied by 0 is 0 - even infinity.

Which is why we can't have 1/3. But that is besides the point. Per relativity, mass and energy are interchangeable, but only relative to c. Mass can have energy. But photons are the far end of that curve. Massless particles always travel at c.

Which is why we can't have 1/3. But that is besides the point. Per relativity, mass and energy are interchangeable, but only relative to c. Mass can have energy. But photons are the far end of that curve. Massless particles always travel at c.

Oh. I think I understand why C is in that equation now. I've always wondered "WTF does C have to do with any of that"?

Einstein must have saw that massless particles would travel at the fastest speed possible.

Oh. I think I understand why C is in that equation now. I've always wondered "WTF does C have to do with any of that"?

Einstein must have saw that massless particles would travel at the fastest speed possible.

Relativity can be derived simply from the fact that c is constant, regardless of direction of perception. c, being a speed, naturally is a derivative of time and distance. Distance is not variable but if time becomes variable, speed becomes variable, thus the slow down and alternative nature of time.

top right equation shows how the curve is very narrow until roughly 99% the speed of light, where it takes a sharp turn north:

lorentz.gif

Have you ever taken calculus, beefy?

I intend to download a teaching company lesson on relativity and listen to it while I'm at work.

I haven't really gotten into it yet on my schooling (I literally change my mind and decided to get a physics degree last month, beefy, and I'm taking my first physics class NEXT SEMESTER), all the stuff I've mentioned here is stuff I've figured out (or failed to figure out) in my own time. I've tried to avoid making massive proclamations about how real physicists get it wrong, which would show my n00bishness.

Last edited:
well, maybe 96%.

You get about 2.5% time dilation at 99% of the speed of light. The vast majority of it happens when you go to increasingly large percentages of light after that.

But that probably requires massive amounts of energy, which I have no clear conception of. I know that to accelerate to 50% of the speed of light you'd need about more energy than man has ever produced.

If we could collect all the energy from the sun, maybe we could accelerate to speeds where time dilation comes into serious play. But time dilation isn't really that great for building a galactic empire, since your family is still dead by the time you get there. It's just good for making sure your alive when you get there.

Relativity can be derived simply from the fact that c is constant, regardless of direction of perception. c, being a speed, naturally is a derivative of time and distance. Distance is not variable but if time becomes variable, speed becomes variable, thus the slow down and alternative nature of time.

top right equation shows how the curve is very narrow until roughly 99% the speed of light, where it takes a sharp turn north:

lorentz.gif

What is x? I'm pretty sure that t is time and v is velocity, but I don't know what x is.

And what does that strange b-looking symbol represent?

What is x? I'm pretty sure that t is time and v is velocity, but I don't know what x is.

And what does that strange b-looking symbol represent?

I don't remember what x is, but it doesn't matter. Because on the right side of the equation you have the equal value. The "B" looking symbol is the graphical change in time relative to speed. It is a variable that has little change to it until super high velocities.

I don't remember what x is, but it doesn't matter. Because on the right side of the equation you have the equal value. The "B" looking symbol is the graphical change in time relative to speed. It is a variable that has little change to it until super high velocities.

I just use online time dilation calculators. :dunno:

Do you honestly expect me to do this myself? Even with a TI-89?

WTF? Time dilation is SEVEN times at 99% of the speed of light, which I think IS useful.

At 96% it's 3.5 times.

I must have been thinking of 90%, which is 2.25 times. I must've forgotten the relationships.

Last edited:
WTF? Time dilation is SEVEN times at 99% of the speed of light, which I think IS useful.

At 96% it's 3.5%.

I must have been thinking of 90%, which is 2.25%. I must've forgotten the relationships.

Yeah, me too. Its pretty graduated though. I remembered at least that much. :clink:

Photons are massless particles.

There are huge gaps between the known matter in the universe and the gravitational models under which the universe behaves.

One of the most fascinating aspects of astrophysics is the grand opportunity for learning. General relativity and Special Relativity are "relatively" (:() universally accepted. The new frontier is going to be in the super macro and super micro. It is quantum mechanics that re-defined the old physics and that Einstein, who blindly believed in a clockwork universe, never accepted. But ironically, it was relativity that also redefined old physics on a macro scale. It, however, did not have the uncertainty that QM did.

Einstein Prodsky Rosen was designed to blow holes all over QM, and it was later shown to be all out accurate!!!

These are the frontiers that are so damned exciting it makes me wish I was employed.

Light is not massless else gravity would not effect it and curve space.
Light only thinks it travels in a straight line. Gravity affects light.

That's not true. Black holes don't affect other things because of their mass, it affects them because of its mass.

I belive that mass of the object that is being affected has an infentesimentally small affect on how its affected by a black hole, something with 0 mass would not be affected, but something with .0000001micrograms of mass would.

Back