Are Men Obsessed With the Roman Empire?

Cypress

Will work for Scooby snacks
Are Men Obsessed With the Roman Empire? Yes, Say Men.

Women are asking the men in their lives how often they think about ancient Rome. Their responses, posted online, can be startling in their frequency.

The Roman Empire began in 27 B.C. and fell in A.D. 476.

And in A.D. 2023, it went viral on TikTok.

In posts shared on social media, women have been asking the men in their lives how often they think about ancient Rome. “Constantly,” one husband responded. “Like, every day,” said a boyfriend. As of Thursday night, a thread on X, formerly known as Twitter, went on like this for MDCLXXIX messages. (Sorry, that’s 1,679.)

“I’m starting to get sick of being asked about this,” said Kevin Feeney, a faculty fellow at New York University who teaches an introductory class on Roman history. By his estimation, enrollment is about 60 percent male.

Ancient Roman society was “extremely, extremely patriarchal,” he said, and was dominated by such alpha males as Julius Caesar and Augustus, its first emperor.

But that’s far from the whole story of Rome, or of its scholars, he added. Roman society influences everything from the United States’ form of government to its language to its architecture

Many women have been shocked by the enthusiasm men display for the ancient empire.

The trend seemed to really take off last week after Kelsey Lewis Vincent of Wilson, N.C., was scrolling through social media one night when she came across an Instagram Reel mysteriously suggesting that men the world over were hiding a secret: “Ladies, many of you do not realise how often men think about the Roman Empire.”

Judith Hallett, an emeritus professor of classics at the University of Maryland, described ancient Rome as “a place where there were many different definitions of masculinity.”

But after first being exposed to the civilization in middle and secondary school, Dr. Hallett added, many men continue to consume Roman history through mass media.

In recent popular culture, Roman history has been told through entertainment media like “Gladiator,” winner of the 2000 Oscar for best picture, and the TV show “Spartacus,” which focus on battles and often appeal to male audiences. “The games you play and what TV shows you watch are informing a new audience of Roman fans,” she said.

Still, it’s not as if ancient Rome is all that men talk about, Mr. Vincent said.

“We’re not necessarily cracking open beers talking about the Roman Empire,” he said. “But it does kind of come up when we talk about who would win in a fight — a gladiatorial fight — between Thanos and Captain America.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/09/15/style/roman-empire-men-tiktok-instagram.html

I wonder how many red-blooded American males like gladiator movies? :laugh:
I'll watch any decent movie about the Roman empire out there!

The other day I was wondering if the legions of the Roman empire and the armies of Han dynasty China had encountered each other of the field of battle, which side would prevail?

My wife asked me this the other day. I said 'not often'. I don't get it.

It lives on with us even when we don't think about it. There is a relic Roman legacy in our politics, law, architecture, engineering, military organization.

Women are asking the men in their lives how often they think about ancient Rome. Their responses, posted online, can be startling in their frequency.

In posts shared on social media, women have been asking the men in their lives how often they think about ancient Rome. “Constantly,” one husband responded. “Like, every day,” said a boyfriend. As of Thursday night, a thread on X, formerly known as Twitter, went on like this for MDCLXXIX messages. (Sorry, that’s 1,679.)

“I’m starting to get sick of being asked about this,” said Kevin Feeney, a faculty fellow at New York University who teaches an introductory class on Roman history. By his estimation, enrollment is about 60 percent male.

Ancient Roman society was “extremely, extremely patriarchal,” he said, and was dominated by such alpha males as Julius Caesar and Augustus, its first emperor.

But that’s far from the whole story of Rome, or of its scholars, he added. Roman society influences everything from the United States’ form of government to its language to its architecture

Many women have been shocked by the enthusiasm men display for the ancient empire.

The trend seemed to really take off last week after Kelsey Lewis Vincent of Wilson, N.C., was scrolling through social media one night when she came across an Instagram Reel mysteriously suggesting that men the world over were hiding a secret: “Ladies, many of you do not realise how often men think about the Roman Empire.”

Judith Hallett, an emeritus professor of classics at the University of Maryland, described ancient Rome as “a place where there were many different definitions of masculinity.”

But after first being exposed to the civilization in middle and secondary school, Dr. Hallett added, many men continue to consume Roman history through mass media.

In recent popular culture, Roman history has been told through entertainment media like “Gladiator,” winner of the 2000 Oscar for best picture, and the TV show “Spartacus,” which focus on battles and often appeal to male audiences. “The games you play and what TV shows you watch are informing a new audience of Roman fans,” she said.

Still, it’s not as if ancient Rome is all that men talk about, Mr. Vincent said.

“We’re not necessarily cracking open beers talking about the Roman Empire,” he said. “But it does kind of come up when we talk about who would win in a fight — a gladiatorial fight — between Thanos and Captain America.”

500 years of Roman science and intellectualism were lost in the dark ages and didn't start to be be regained until the Renaissance.

The Roman legions wore short hair and were clean shaven while the rest of Europe looked as if it were going to a Grateful Dead concert,

This set the standard for "legitimate Italian businessmen."

Don Corleone's mustache was inauthentic.

Good food in three quarters of the scenes was not.

All of the whackings were somewhere in the middle.

500 years of Roman science and intellectualism were lost in the dark ages and didn't start to be be regained until the Renaissance.

The Roman legions wore short hair and were clean shaven while the rest of Europe looked as if it were going to a Grateful Dead concert,

This set the standard for "legitimate Italian businessmen."

Don Corleone's mustache was inauthentic.

Good food in three quarters of the scenes was not.

All of the whackings were somewhere in the middle.

I've never actually seen the Godfather.

I'm not sure if the Sicilians were considered genuine Romans, or if they were seen as barbaric and backwards as the Goths.

Western Europe has the Byzantine Empire and the Islamic world to thank for preserving the Roman and Greek intellectual legacy

I've never actually seen the Godfather.

I'm not sure if the Sicilians were considered genuine Romans, or if they were seen as barbaric and backwards as the Goths.

Western Europe has the Byzantine Empire and the Islamic world to thank for preserving the Roman and Greek intellectual legacy

Actually, you're right about we Sicilians becoming Romans AFTER THE FACT.:laugh:

What's wrong with taking advantage of opportunities, though?:thinking:

One more thing. If you haven't seen the Godfather and The Godfather Part II,

you haven't experience cinema yet.

In my eight decades on this fakakta planet,
I've never seen better films.

The dining room scenes in particular delivered me straight back to my childhood.

It lives on with us even when we don't think about it. There is a relic Roman legacy in our politics, law, architecture, engineering, military organization.

True, but still what a bizarre question. There are phrases related to Rome that fit certain situations but beyond that….

Crossing the Rubicon. Fiddling while Rome burns. Render unto Caesar…. Beyond those and stopping whenever I see Gladiator it never enters my mind.

True, but still what a bizarre question. There are phrases related to Rome that fit certain situations but beyond that….

Crossing the Rubicon. Fiddling while Rome burns. Render unto Caesar…. Beyond those and stopping whenever I see Gladiator it never enters my mind.

I think the article was tongue in cheek, and the concept probably appeals to the minority of people who have an abiding interest in history. It might even be more relevant to western Europeans who have a palpable and visceral connection to Roman legacy. I think Mark Twain used to make fun of Americans' lack of interest and disconnection with historical knowledge

My wife asked me this the other day. I said 'not often'. I don't get it.

My daughter asked me today, I really do not think about it often, but I happened to have a dream about it last night and Rome and Jesus...

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/09/15/style/roman-empire-men-tiktok-instagram.html

Dumb. Never heard of anyone talking about the Roman Empire.

Dumb. Never heard of anyone talking about the Roman Empire.

Hollywood and European film, the Shakespeare canon, and steaming content on major video services are chock full of movies and stories related to the Roman empire. There must be a major market for it.

I've hardly ever seen a film on Charlemagne's Carolingian Empire, the Holy Roman Empire, the Austro-Hungarian Empire, or the Aztec empire.

As the masses are being guided to their chains they must not get the idea that the West is following the Roman Empire into oblivion.

Hollywood and European film, the Shakespeare canon, and steaming content on major video services are chock full of movies and stories related to the Roman empire. There must be a major market for it.

I've hardly ever seen a film on Charlemagne's Carolingian Empire, the Holy Roman Empire, the Austro-Hungarian Empire, or the Aztec empire.

Good point. Almost like if one had an MFA they would have heard some of these things before.

My daughter asked me today, I really do not think about it often, but I happened to have a dream about it last night and Rome and Jesus...

I wager every educated person on this board could name at least five Roman proconsuls and emperors. There's no other kingdom or empire in history that is probably true of.

There have more more great Hollywood films set in the Roman empire than there have been about the American revolution or civil war.

Whether we openly talk about it or not, I think there is a major economic market catering to fascination with ancient Rome.

I wager every educated person on this board could name at least five Roman proconsuls and emperors. There's no other kingdom or empire in history that is probably true of.

There have more more great Hollywood films set in the Roman empire than there have been about the American revolution or civil war.

Whether we openly talk about it or not, I think there is a major economic market catering to to fascination with ancient Rome.

Another fad that seems to have escaped my knowledge.

Whether we openly talk about it or not, I think there is a major economic market catering to fascination with ancient Rome.

If the last five years of University product we asked I suspect that about 10% could name one.

Back