Are Men Obsessed With the Roman Empire?

I don't think it's the length of the year.

I think there has always been a systematic bias to focus on the history of northwestern Europe because of our Anglo-British heritage. Teachers really get almost no exposure to the Byzantine Empire, the Polish-Lithuanian Commwealth, or Imperial Russia even in their college education.
That's part of it, no doubt, but how much history can schools cram into HS students? IIRC, most HS history is American history which includes some global history due to both our heritage and global conflicts.

World history is more of a college subject...and not much there either for all the arts and music majors. :)

Once my kids have passed on, Oom,
this nation will have forgotten
the mere three generations of my line who were born here.

Improving the nation is a great idea for those who plan to stick around for a while.
I, however, cherish the memories that I have from some of the summers of my youth.

What they decide to do with the nation--
I, of course, recommend partition as you know--
is going to be up to other people.

I opine strongly on political matters mainly because
they have been among my primary interests during my adult life.

In practical terms, they only matter for a short time remaining.
Vandy Boy Earl says that I'm about to meet some guy
called The Green Reefer I believe it is.

Disagreed with your philosophy, neef. I prefer this one:

"A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in."

That's part of it, no doubt, but how much history can schools cram into HS students? IIRC, most HS history is American history which includes some global history due to both our heritage and global conflicts.

World history is more of a college subject...and not much there either for all the arts and music majors. :)

American history was the bare minimum for high school graduation, but I took electives in high school in European history and Chinese history.

American history was the bare minimum for high school graduation, but I took electives in high school in European history and Chinese history.
I suspect for those able, they'd pick business or sports since most American kids are raised to think money is the path to happiness.

I suspect for those able, they'd pick business or sports since most American kids are raised to think money is the path to happiness.

History was always an easy A for me, and I was on the college preparation track so I didn't waste a lot of my electives on auto shop, business administration, or home economics.
I didn't see any of the the greasers or the rednecks in my Chinese history class

History was always an easy A for me, and I was on the college preparation track so I didn't waste a lot of my electives on auto shop, business administration, or home economics.
I didn't see any of the the greasers or the rednecks in my Chinese history class

No doubt they were looking tough on a street corner and proving to the girls they had both attitude and a good job at the gas station. :thup:

Back