Are Men Obsessed With the Roman Empire?

Bet they know who this "Roman" guy is, though. lol

tmiaNi3.jpg

I don't think world history is really of any interest to MAGA.

Their Messiah thought Finland was part of Russia.

Roman historians offer only vague accounts of China and the silk-producing Seres people of the Far East, who were perhaps the ancient Chinese.

From the Chinese point of view, the Roman Empire was considered "a distant and therefore mystical country,". Chinese historians considered Daqin to be a kind of "counter-China" located at the opposite end of their known world.

Wikipedia

To be fair it was once a Duchy and I'm certain that Trump's master, Vlad, would be more than willing to re-annex it. :)

(BTW: Uspensky Cathedral is an amazing display of Finnish-Russian connection. I've never seen so much gilding in a cathedral)

Last edited:
I'll watch any decent movie about the Roman empire out there!

The other day I was wondering if the legions of the Roman empire and the armies of Han dynasty China had encountered each other of the field of battle, which side would prevail?

[video=youtube_share;KOZs2_i_cDE]https://youtu.be/KOZs2_i_cDE?si=hcCDFJdmYaQpM432[/vide]
It would depend upon the logistics, IMO; specifically where the battlefield was in relation to their home turf.

It would depend upon the logistics, IMO; specifically where the battlefield was in relation to their home turf.

True

But the Romans could never defeat the Parthians, so there was no chance of Roman legions getting into Central Asia.

The only battle between western armies and Chinese forces during antiquity I am aware of is Battle of Talas: Arab Muslim armies encountered Tang dynasty Chinese forces somewhere in modern Kyrgyzstan.

True

But the Romans could never defeat the Parthians, so there was no chance of Roman legions getting into Central Asia.

The only battle between western armies and Chinese forces during antiquity I am aware of is Battle of Talas: Arab Muslim armies encountered Tang dynasty Chinese forces somewhere in modern Kyrgyzstan.

Attacking is always harder than defending. It usually takes a disciplined military a 3 to 1 advantage to attacked an army in defensive positions. This is why the Ukrainians are going to have a tough time rooting the Russians out of the Separatist areas; they're all dug in.

Attacking is always harder than defending. It usually takes a disciplined military a 3 to 1 advantage to attacked an army in defensive positions. This is why the Ukrainians are going to have a tough time rooting the Russians out of the Separatist areas; they're all dug in.

Ukrainians probably only have 1:1 parity on the battlefield. A slow grind for sure.

The Romans typically did not have strong cavalry forces, which is generally how the Parthians outperformed them on the battlefield. I don't know how good Han cavalry were.

Ukrainians probably only have 1:1 parity on the battlefield. A slow grind for sure.

The Romans typically did not have strong cavalry forces, which is generally how the Parthians outperformed them on the battlefield. I don't know how good Han cavalry were.

The Romans didn't have the stirrup which explains why chariots were popular.

I liked the HBO Series Rome more than any of the typical gladiator flicks.

They spent a fortune on it.

The first season was great, but they tried to cram way too much into the second.

They could have gone four years with the series,
but it was just too expensive.

One of the main actors, Ray Stevenson, died this past week.
He was excellent in the series.
RIP, Ray.

I liked the HBO Series Rome more than any of the typical gladiator flicks.

They spent a fortune on it.

The first season was great, but they tried to cram way too much into the second.

They could have gone four years with the series,
but it was just too expensive.

One of the main actors, Ray Stevenson, died this past week.
He was excellent in the series.
RIP, Ray.

I've heard of it but never watched it.

I don't think world history is really of any interest to MAGA.

Roman historians offer only vague accounts of China and the silk-producing Seres people of the Far East, who were perhaps the ancient Chinese.

From the Chinese point of view, the Roman Empire was considered "a distant and therefore mystical country,". Chinese historians considered Daqin to be a kind of "counter-China" located at the opposite end of their known world.

Wikipedia

Finland was part of Russia...several times, although it was mostly Swedish. Since you like world history and you're smarter than MAGA tell the class about the history of the Ukraine,.

Back