Be Patient

His love of copycatting discussions is really lame. He does it more then anyone. He even copied your Mason derangement discussion.

I don't have a Mason Derangement Syndrome discussion!
If you go there,you will see,I have begged Mason to take the damn thing down!
It's as bad as the BW thread,Grind publicly warned him about!

I will agree with your POV because we mostly share it. (R)s are very good at whipping up xenophobia and convincing their base that there is a huge # of ppl living off the government and "that's why your taxes are so high." As you pointed out in another post, many of our active service families get food stamps to make ends meet. However, *that* isn't often mentioned when an (R) politician is pointing a finger of blame at "the poor" who they somehow manage to portray as being non-white. They never state that directly, of course. Instead, they insinuate that most recipients of govt. aid are "urban." Turns out that's not true:

9UbyCZH.jpg

Source: https://www.dailyyonder.com/geography-food-stamps/2018/12/31/25422/

many of our active service families get food stamps to make ends meet. However, *that* isn't often mentioned when an (R) politician is pointing a finger of blame at "the poor"

And I salute them for not using the military as a political football. That said both parties should take action to raise basic pay so those young troops don't need food stamps to "make ends meet".

"the poor" who they somehow manage to portray as being non-white.

Technically that is correct.

Welfare statistics by race
43 percent of Medicaid recipients were white, 18 percent were African American and 30 percent were Hispanic in 2016. [Source: KFF]
In 2016 36.2 percent of SNAP program beneficiaries were white, 25.6 percent were African American, 17.2 percent were Hispanic, 3.3 percent were Asian. [Source: USDA]
Of TANF recipients in 2016, 27.9 percent of were white, 19.1 percent were African American 36.9 percent were Hispanic. [Source: Department of Health and Human Services]
41.6 percent of the African American population and 36. 4 percent of the Hispanic population participated in at least one government assistance program in a given month. [Source: United States Census Bureau]
https://www.lexingtonlaw.com/blog/finance/welfare-statistics.html

Either way it is dishonest to single out a race but that's politics and like the old saying goes the most dishonest people in the world are politicians and used car salesmen.

Last edited:
And I salute them for not using the military as a political football. That said both parties should take action to raise basic pay so those young troops don't need food stamps to "make ends meet".

43 percent of Medicaid recipients were white, 18 percent were African American and 30 percent were Hispanic in 2016. [Source: KFF]
In 2016 36.2 percent of SNAP program beneficiaries were white, 25.6 percent were African American, 17.2 percent were Hispanic, 3.3 percent were Asian. [Source: USDA]
Of TANF recipients in 2016, 27.9 percent of were white, 19.1 percent were African American 36.9 percent were Hispanic. [Source: Department of Health and Human Services]
41.6 percent of the African American population and 36. 4 percent of the Hispanic population participated in at least one government assistance program in a given month. [Source: United States Census Bureau]

Either way it is dishonest to single out a race but that's politics and like to old saying goes the most dishonest people in the world are politicians and used car salesmen.

Those that serve deserve the best,from the day their service starts to the day they die.
We owe them that at the very least.

Either way it is dishonest to single out a race but that's politics and like the old saying goes the most dishonest people in the world are politicians and used car salesmen.

The problem comes from when these "young troops" decide to start a family and have children, before they're in a better situation (money wise or promotions).

Absolutely. It's a travesty that they are having to use food stamps to get by because we don't pay them enough.

Unfortunately in this country those in the lower income brackets tend to be non-whites. The stats you quoted left out Native Americans, many of whom live in abject conditions on the rezzes. My friends make jokes about "gubmint cheese" but it's a real issue. There are some around here who would like to blame that on non-whites being lazy or not as bright. However, that's not it.

The problem comes from when these "young troops" decide to start a family and have children, before they're in a better situation (money wise or promotions).

I don't fault anyone for getting married, espically young GI's. Young GI's don't have the luxury of moving in with their GF unlike their civilian counter parts. Their base pay is often much less than the civilian world. Plus they could go into harms way at any time so they deserve any happiness and support they can get.

I don't fault anyone for getting married, espically young GI's. Young GI's don't have the luxury of moving in with their GF unlike their civilian counter parts. Their base pay is often much less than the civilian world. Plus they could go into harms way at any time so they deserve any happiness and support they can get.

I agree; but they do have the opportunity to use the chow lines and the commissaries are usually cheaper then the local stores.

This is no different then someone accepting a job, at a designated wage, then getting married and discovering that they're going to struggle.

I'm not saying it can't be improved; but choices are choices.

Personally I'm for anyone who served 20 years or had to leave due to a military medical problem, should never have to pay income tax or medical for the rest of their life.

I agree; but they do have the opportunity to use the chow lines and the commissaries are usually cheaper then the local stores.

This is no different then someone accepting a job, at a designated wage, then getting married and discovering that they're going to struggle.

I'm not saying it can't be improved; but choices are choices.

Personally I'm for anyone who served 20 years or had to leave due to a military medical problem, should never have to pay income tax or medical for the rest of their life.

1st dependents cannot use the chow hall and unless the mate has an ID card they cannot use the commissary.
Single troops do not get a housing allowance nor rations that married personel get. So not being married is generally not an option. Oh btw then there is the medical.

1st dependents cannot use the chow hall and unless the mate has an ID card they cannot use the commissary.
Single troops do not get a housing allowance nor rations that married personel get. So not being married is generally not an option. Oh btw then there is the medical.

I was referring to those who were single.

One of my Uncles served 20 years in the Air Force and they had 6 kids (stair stepped); but he knew what the problems he created for himself.

I was referring to those who were single.

One of my Uncles served 20 years in the Air Force and they had 6 kids (stair stepped); but he knew what the problems he created for himself.

When my bride and I got married I was an E-2. We had to scrimp and save and we learned to budget but we made it. Then 7 months later I got another stripe and a $25.00 raise we had so much extra money we didn't know what to do with it.

When my bride and I got married I was an E-2. We had to scrimp and save and we learned to budget but we made it. Then 7 months later I got another stripe and a $25.00 raise we had so much extra money we didn't know what to do with it. Jill

I don't recommend anyone going into the military and then getting married, until they have several promotions under their belt and intend to keep them.

Another big mistake is someone in the Military planning on buying a house for 2 or more years and then figuring they'll sell it, when they move.

Normally doesn't work out very well.

I don't recommend anyone going into the military and then getting married, until they have several promotions under their belt and intend to keep them.

Another big mistake is someone in the Military planning on buying a house for 2 or more years and then figuring they'll sell it, when they move.

Normally doesn't work out very well.

How much time did you spend in the military? Because you are way out in left field on this subject.

Back