Best Movie Ranking for my Lifespan

Right now I am watching On Her Majesty's Secret Service, the greatest 007 movie of all-time!!!

I happen to rate it as well, George Lazenby was by no means as bad as many critics would have you believe, Diana Rigg was very good as well. Shame she had to die, but understandable as a married Bond hardly works.

IMDB gives it a rating of 6.9 which is I think is very fair for a Bond film.

[ame="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064757/"]On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969) - IMDb@@AMEPARAM@@http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMjAwMzAwOTA2OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjU3NzQyMQ@@._V1._SX94_SY140_.jpg@@AMEPARAM@@BMjAwMzAwOTA2OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjU3NzQyMQ@@@@AMEPARAM@@SX94@@AMEPARAM@@SY140[/ame]

2010 hmmm can't think of many good movies this year. I will name it inception unless I think of something better

yup of the movies ive seen inception wins hands down for movie of the year thus far.

Though I didn't see many movies, and most seem to have sucked in 2010.

The town is vastly vastly vastly overrated btw O_O

Wow reading this thread brought me back so vividly. I was a bit weirded out to discover Threedee was still in diapers when Titanic came out, but, what are you going to do.

When Titanic came out my then-fiance wouldn't go see it. And of course I was so upset because that's all anyone was talking about, and I didn't want to go see it with gf's. So one night we were in the gym we always went to together, and one of his muscle head friends who I used to always make fun of (which was stereotyping my part and not very nice), was running on the treadmill next to me and started talking to me. I don't know how but we ended up talking about Titanic. And when Jim came over this guy says to him "listen Jim, if you dont take this girl to see Titanic, I'm taking her". And I got really nervous because Jim was not a laid-back man, but he just looked at him and didn't say anything.

And then that Saturday Jim said, come on, let's go see Titanic. I was so excited!

But then in the end, I didn't like the movie. Really probably the most overrated film of the 1990's. But it will always remind me of that muscle head guy, who was so large and made crazy noises when he lifted weights and who other men were afraid of, but who, deep down, had a very sweet streak. And after that day I always stopped to chat with him there, even though those grunting gym guys always made me nervous.

I know you've been waiting for my list. Since I am much older than T&A, it took me a bit longer to compose. And yes, I realize I mentioned MANY Clint Eastwood movies, but this isn't the Oscars, it's MY personal picks...

1958 Vertigo
1959 Some Like it Hot
1960 Psycho
1961 West Side Story
1962 To Kill a Mockingbird
1963 The Birds
1964 A Fistful of Dollars
1965 For a Few Dollars More
1966 The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
1967 The Graduate
1968 Planet of the Apes
1969 True Grit
1970 Patton
1971 Dirty Harry
1972 The Godfather
1973 The Exorcist
1974 Blazing Saddles
1975 Jaws
1976 Rocky
1977 Star Wars
1978 The Deer Hunter
1979 Mad Max
1980 The Shining
1981 Absence of Malice
1982 E.T.
1983 The Right Stuff
1984 Nightmare on Elm Street
1985 The Breakfast Club
1986 The Color of Money
1987 Raising Arizona
1988 Rainman
1989 Field of Dreams
1990 Goodfellas
1991 The Silence of the Lambs
1992 Unforgiven
1993 Schindler's List
1994 Forrest Gump
1995 Braveheart
1996 Sling Blade
1997 Good Will Hunting
1998 Saving Private Ryan
1999 The Green Mile
2000 Castaway
2001 Ocean's Eleven
2002 Gangs of New York
2003 Mystic River
2004 Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
2005 Walk the Line
2006 Letters from Iwo Jima
2007 I am Legend
2008 The Dark Knight
2009 The Blind Side
2010 Legion

The Breakfast Club and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, that's interesting. Two of my favorite films. I hardly know anyone who liked the latter, but I love it.

I've gotten that from a lot of older people, upon discovering I was in the 6th grade when Titanic came out. I consider it a superbly made and executed film, and certainly deserving of Best Picture for 1997. It also holds a great deal of nostalgia, as I said before, due to all of the stuff that was going on around the film: the conversations, the growing ticket returns, the length for which it was playing, and the impact it had on my daily life - even though I waited to see it on VHS.

Dark Knight was one of the best films ever made. Period.

I've gotten that from a lot of older people, upon discovering I was in the 6th grade when Titanic came out. I consider it a superbly made and executed film, and certainly deserving of Best Picture for 1997. It also holds a great deal of nostalgia, as I said before, due to all of the stuff that was going on around the film: the conversations, the growing ticket returns, the length for which it was playing, and the impact it had on my daily life - even though I waited to see it on VHS.

Dark Knight was one of the best films ever made. Period.

I honestly wish I could come up with a phrase that is as dismissive and contempt-filled as "chick flick" to describe movies that are testosterone-fueled daydreams for men who like to spend two hours in the dark fantasizing that they're Batman before going back to their accounting jobs.

I've considered dick-flick, but it's very crude and makes me blanche, and at the same time, I don't think it conveys the same sense of sneering contempt that chick flick does because everyone knows dicks are actually worth something, but chicks are just stupid.

Anyway, The Reader blew away Dark Knight.

The Breakfast Club and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, that's interesting. Two of my favorite films. I hardly know anyone who liked the latter, but I love it.

lots of people liked eternal sunshine. very critically acclaimed, involved two of the most creative genius's in the world of which everything they touch turns to awesome (charlie kaufman and michael gondry). overall a wonderful movie. The only people that don't like it are stupid people

Great movie, but I'm guessing that Robin Hood will beat it out later this year.

And I'm sure you don't really disagree with my picks for 1987, 1992, 1994, and 1998...

I have a couple of minor disagreements, but over all, a strong list. And yeah, the four years above are excellent picks.

lots of people liked eternal sunshine. very critically acclaimed, involved two of the most creative genius's in the world of which everything they touch turns to awesome (charlie kaufman and michael gondry). overall a wonderful movie. The only people that don't like it are stupid people

My bf didn't like it. Don't tell anyone. This is invisible too like your wall, right? You are so amazing how you can do those magical things. Sometimes I think about all of the things we write that no one else can see because you made us invisible, and I laugh and I laugh and I laugh.

Anyway, he's not stupid, it just wasn't his cup of tea. Two of my friends actively hated it. Weird.

I honestly wish I could come up with a phrase that is as dismissive and contempt-filled as "chick flick" to describe movies that are testosterone-fueled daydreams for men who like to spend two hours in the dark fantasizing that they're Batman before going back to their accounting jobs.

The problem is, chick flicks are almost ALWAYS bad. They have poor writing, predictable plots, 1 dimensional characters. Etc. There are lots of shitty "guy" movies but there are also really "good" guy movies as well. Basically any good movie is a guy movie. :)

You are never going to see a chick flick nominated for any significant oscars. Because they are so terrible.

Let me outline a chick flick:

- Girl is stressed out at work, her current boyfriend is kinda loosery or a douchebag, and breaks up with her to go back to a bitchy ex girlfriend.

- Girl has her friends come over. They sit around eating icecream talking about pms. And how there will be alone forever. Friends try to cheer her up and have a scene where they scream in unison "COCKTAILLLLS!" and they go off to some trendy bar.

- While at the bar, some amazing young british man will walk over and introduce himself. He may do something slightly clumsy to show he isn't uber perfect but is still pretty much the second coming of jesus. Perhaps he'll accidentally drop a few quarters on the ground or something. This proves the main character isn't shallow because the guy has imperfections just like her. He dropped some change.

- They start dating, blah blah blah and eventually get married. No one gives a shit.

Back