Bullying?

I've got a serious question. Please don't let it devolve into some perverted mess or I'll delete the thread.

Does calling a 5th - 6th grade kid "Chewbacca" because her mom (parent, guardian, etc.) hasn't taught her to shave her legs constitute "bullying?"

Does calling a 9th - 10th grade boy "Shaggy" (as in from Scooby Doo) constitute bullying because his dad hasn't taught him to shave yet constitute "bullying?"

Serious answers only, please.

A gentle reminder to this being a serious discussion... shame on you guys...

Yes, it was very much the same when my boy was in elementary. You try to tell them (your own kids) to deal with it the best they can because … well, real life. At the same time you don’t want them to go through unnecessary teasing.

And, as the dad of a boy, I resisted the urge to tell him to punch the guy’s lights out and if he get whipped he gets whipped, but I bet he quits teasing him. But that’s not a “grown up” option.

Your second paragraph got me thinking LR. On one hand I'm not a fighter so your statement totally resonates with me. In certain ways I'm able to talk and I've talked myself, and friends, out of situations where it looked for sure like fists were going to be flying. But I've always heard stories of people who said they stood up to their bully's with their fists and two things happened: 1) the bully stopped what they were doing and 2) the kid gained confidence in himself

So I'm in no way promoting fighting but (using that word nuance again) also don't know that I can 100% speak out against it either (in certain occasions - not as a go to), if that makes sense?

Your second paragraph got me thinking LR. On one hand I'm not a fighter so your statement totally resonates with me. In certain ways I'm able to talk and I've talked myself, and friends, out of situations where it looked for sure like fists were going to be flying. But I've always heard stories of people who said they stood up to their bully's with their fists and two things happened: 1) the bully stopped what they were doing and 2) the kid gained confidence in himself

So I'm in no way promoting fighting but (using that word nuance again) also don't know that I can 100% speak out against it either (in certain occasions - not as a go to), if that makes sense?

Yea, I just know when I was a kid that’s how I handled things at school. I took a lot of guff for being overweight until my high school years when I slimmed up … as much as my family slims up. I shut a few mouths up until then…and it worked much like you said. My boy wasn’t turned that way, though. And times are different now.

Yea, I just know when I was a kid that’s how I handled things at school. I took a lot of guff for being overweight until my high school years when I slimmed up … as much as my family slims up. I shut a few mouths up until then…and it worked much like you said. My boy wasn’t turned that way, though. And times are different now.

Now kids are also stalked and bullied on social media

Now kids are also stalked and bullied on social media

Absolutely… And this is the most difficult of the bullying techniques to detect, find guilt and enforce consequences. Yet school administrators are expected to deal with it. Fortunately not me anymore. I’m just a classroom teacher again…and part time at that.

But I remember the days when parents would contact me about so and so talking badly about their son/daughter on Facebook (yes, it was that long ago) or they sent them a mean or demeaning text or Snapchat. And it all probably took place outside of school hours…and therein lies the enforcement of consequences rub. Glad that stuff is behind me.

Glad that stuff is behind me.

The fates knew what they were doing not making me a grandfather.

I'm at an age where kids give me a rash.

Actually, come to think of it, even if I were a grandfather, the grandkids would be either grown or almost grown by now.

Absolutely… And this is the most difficult of the bullying techniques to detect, find guilt and enforce consequences. Yet school administrators are expected to deal with it. Fortunately not me anymore. I’m just a classroom teacher again…and part time at that.

But I remember the days when parents would contact me about so and so talking badly about their son/daughter on Facebook (yes, it was that long ago) or they sent them a mean or demeaning text or Snapchat. And it all probably took place outside of school hours…and therein lies the enforcement of consequences rub. Glad that stuff is behind me.
Growing up is hard to do. All you kid(s) need to know is that you have their backs and that you know they will get through it.

Today was making a "sit and reach box" and listening music when one of the best rock songs in history, and one that epitomizes what it means to be an American teenage boy began playing:

Don’t mistake what I’m saying, and re-reading I see I wasn’t clear…this is a conversation between classmates. So it would have been another 5th or 6th grade girl. And the second illustration is of an exchange among students of the same age.

And both are likely to be bullying. It would depend on intent.

Except what in the name of Christ Almighty would bring me to a podunk town?
Is there some attraction of which I'm not aware?

how you feel about a 'podunk' town is the same way a lot of people feel about the cities........I don't see the attraction of a big city. It's the same thing as living in a herd.........you get to be small and nearly invisible, hoping that the predator lurking around you notices someone else instead of you.

living in a small town is a responsibility because everyone knows you. knows your family. Become a fuckup in a small town and you quickly get noticed and ostracized. Be a stand up individual with character, honor, and integrity, and people smile when you walk in to their business.........

granted, times have changed over the last 40 years and even my small hometown isn't the same with people from the cities moving in to get away from the crime............but I do miss my small hometown.

how you feel about a 'podunk' town is the same way a lot of people feel about the cities........I don't see the attraction of a big city. It's the same thing as living in a herd.........you get to be small and nearly invisible, hoping that the predator lurking around you notices someone else instead of you.

living in a small town is a responsibility because everyone knows you. knows your family. Become a fuckup in a small town and you quickly get noticed and ostracized. Be a stand up individual with character, honor, and integrity, and people smile when you walk in to their business.........

granted, times have changed over the last 40 years and even my small hometown isn't the same with people from the cities moving in to get away from the crime............but I do miss my small hometown.

Everybody is happy where he is. Nothing wrong with that.

I was wondering about that, and man, that's tough. Like you said it's one thing to deal with issues happening in the classroom or on the playground (basically on campus) but being expected to monitor off campus/off hours things like social media is a total different animal. I don't envy you in that regard.

I've got a serious question. Please don't let it devolve into some perverted mess or I'll delete the thread.

Does calling a 5th - 6th grade kid "Chewbacca" because her mom (parent, guardian, etc.) hasn't taught her to shave her legs constitute "bullying?"

Does calling a 9th - 10th grade boy "Shaggy" (as in from Scooby Doo) constitute bullying because his dad hasn't taught him to shave yet constitute "bullying?"

Yes,any nasty comments in school to children to
Insult them is bullying

It was certainly unkind and hurtful.

Back