Can Energy Independence Be A Catalyst For A 2008 Victory or better yet.. Third Party?

Seems to me we should be dropping the speed limit to save fuel.
but then i guess others on here show why energy independence is nto a real big issue with the public. I guess it will take $5 gas and lines to get it to wake the public up.

Also anyone read where Australia is banning incandescent light bulbs bby 2010 or so. Flourescents are required, and I expect LED lights to make a big appearance this year as a viable replacement for incandescent bulbs.

Seems to me we should be dropping the speed limit to save fuel.
but then i guess others on here show why energy independence is nto a real big issue with the public. I guess it will take $5 gas and lines to get it to wake the public up.

Also anyone read where Australia is banning incandescent light bulbs bby 2010 or so. Flourescents are required, and I expect LED lights to make a big appearance this year as a viable replacement for incandescent bulbs.
Go to cc.com you can buy the LED lights. Just watch the Lumens... They say it is the same as a 60 watter, but you should up that by one as the Lumens are a little low.

They'll save you TONS of energy...

i think leds use less energy per lumen than flourescents; anyone know fer sher?
Very much less. They are, currently, the ultimate in energy saver bulbs. I have a bunch of flourescents, as they slowly burn out I replace them with these...

Yep LED's should be much lower consumption than flourescent. And if well designed should last pretty much forever.

I have replaced all of the incandescents in my home with flourescents. Except at trhe basement stairwell, don't like the delay there, will get an led one for there, no delay.

how is the cost of led comjpared to flourescent? i has a feew flours since the cost has finally come down the last cople of years

how is the cost of led comjpared to flourescent? i has a feew flours since the cost has finally come down the last cople of years

Flourescents are in the $4-5 range for the squiggly ones, the bulb shaped ones are a bit more.
Not sure on the Led ones, Damo ?

how soon they forget...do you remember what jimmuh cartuh did to reduce dependency on foriegn oil....drum roll..........why, he removed the price controls on domestic produced oil that were imposed by none other than dick nixon! this resulted in vastly increased domestic production (during the raygun years, of course) of oil because they could now actually make money by selling the domestic oil at a profitable price.....real 'green' of him, huh?

Good point.. but Jimmy was the first President to talk Alternatives .... and its been talk ever since. But I give GW credit in that he has forked over dollars to the R&D of Fuel Cell technology.. more than Bill and Al ever did....

Good point.. but Jimmy was the first President to talk Alternatives .... and its been talk ever since. But I give GW credit in that he has forked over dollars to the R&D of Fuel Cell technology.. more than Bill and Al ever did....

Indeed. Carter knew we needed a comprehensive energy strategy, and the "Let's drill our way out of it!" argument was too simple-minded.

Carter also aggressively increased CAFE mileage standards, which for a time was helping to reduce imports. Unitl CAFE standards were frozen in the 1980s.

Flourescents are in the $4-5 range for the squiggly ones, the bulb shaped ones are a bit more.
They are far more expensive, but they last nearly forever so the cost is actually minimal. Don't buy a houseful at once, but them as you need them.

Indeed. Carter knew we needed a comprehensive energy strategy, and the "Let's drill our way out of it!" argument was too simple-minded.

Carter also aggressively increased CAFE mileage standards, which for a time was helping to reduce imports. Unitl CAFE standards were frozen in the 1980s.

if he knew so much why did he invoke and succedd with the 'let's drill our way out if it' policy. you libs are unbelievable in the people you diefy!

You're probably right, but I'm not entirely convinced. I think that, if it were phrased correctly, it could fly. The American people have proven that they do respond to patriotic appeals.
I'm not so sure. With gas prices back under $2.50, the trend of sales has (unfortunately) moved back toward more SUVs and fewer hybrids. Toyota is, for the first time, finding that it has to offer incentives to get Prius models to move. Up until now, they have never not had a waiting list.

We are so short sighted it makes me want to puke.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by uscitizen

They are far more expensive, but they last nearly forever so the cost is actually minimal. Don't buy a houseful at once, but them as you need them.

Also, replace an entire fixtures worth at a time - don't mix types. If the fixture has three bulbs, replace all three to ensure impedance / resistance balance.

Back