Can Energy Independence Be A Catalyst For A 2008 Victory or better yet.. Third Party?

I recently added on to my house two bedrooms and a bathroom. I needed another hot water supply and looked into these point-of-use hot water systems. Way to expensive to fit into my construction budget considering the energy/cost saving over the long haul. I opted for another tank. My boss built a new house at about the same time and opted for the point-of-use system. He had more money in his construction budget than I did. So far he is satisfied.

I recently added on to my house two bedrooms and a bathroom. I needed another hot water supply and looked into these point-of-use hot water systems. Way to expensive to fit into my construction budget considering the energy/cost saving over the long haul. I opted for another tank. My boss built a new house at about the same time and opted for the point-of-use system. He had more money in his construction budget than I did. So far he is satisfied.

Yep they cost more, both in wiring and unit purchase costs. Plus they don't seem to last as long as regular water heaters.

I checked into Paul Harvey's Rennai hot water heaters as well as others. I knew they would cost more but was surprised at how much more.

no move coming away from foreign

Trog, what kind of hybrid do you drive.

USC, as usual your prob dead wrong on $3 gas by the end of the first qtr.
$1.99 in Metairie La

Do any of you know what % of our oil we import?

Gas is dirt cheat at $2.35 gal avg, below inflation since the 70's.
Hence the tank size SUV so the little princess soccor mom can feel safe and cool while picking up groceries.

Spinner, yes gas is cheap, but it is peoples perceptions that matter in this area.
On the $3 by end of first quarter, just wait and see. I expect $3 + by mid summer.
btw gas has gone up about 30 cents/gal here in a little over one month.

You know I hope your right, maybe by mid summer on the $3.
My prediction, we will keep the crack coming at a pace slow enought to edge back to $3 post 08 election.
With the gen public 5min attention span the fire will be a match stick.

Depends on what happens in the middle east spin.
Umm btw I have not checked, but I think we import around 70% of our oil. Could well be wrong though.
And yes energy independence is a pipe dream, but we can greatly reduce our dependence on middle eastern oil.

Last edited:
your right

It's close to 70 / 75 % imported
demand goes up 1 to 3% each year and our domestic production declines at nearly 5% per year.
We need to dev alternative from a strategic position as fast as possible.
Forget getting off mid east oil, do the math soon we will produce less than 1/5 can you imagine if there were some major supply disruption what that would do to the economy.
Next Pres need to double the hybrid credits wisely started by Bush.
Also give the same amount of credit for Diesel and flex fuel cars.
That way we have some real momentum going to potentially keep us out of and economy destroying lack of oil.

Uncle Jed Clampett

Trog, what kind of hybrid do you drive.

USC, as usual your prob dead wrong on $3 gas by the end of the first qtr.
$1.99 in Metairie La

Do any of you know what % of our oil we import?

Gas is dirt cheat at $2.35 gal avg, below inflation since the 70's.
Hence the tank size SUV so the little princess soccor mom can feel safe and cool while picking up groceries.
I drive a Honda Civic (non-hybrid), which I bought before hybrids came on-line, and which is still going strong. Hybrids are fine, but what we really want is the end result, which is increased energy efficiency / mileage. By staying off the pedal, I can get a shade over 40 mpg highway - 37 mpg all around.

Energy indepnedence is a great goal. But how we get to that goal is the question. Repugs will want to drill and refine our way to energy independence. Liberals will want reduce consumption and look at alternative clean fuel sources.

I belive we should go full speed ahead at all ways of obtaining Energy INdependence...

it's a pipe dream that can never happen.
we do need to go full steam ahead just to keep the economy from shutting down if we have an interuption.
We import over 70% of or oil there is no solution or combination in the next 20 yrs that will make that go to under 25%

I drive a Honda Civic (non-hybrid), which I bought before hybrids came on-line, and which is still going strong. Hybrids are fine, but what we really want is the end result, which is increased energy efficiency / mileage. By staying off the pedal, I can get a shade over 40 mpg highway - 37 mpg all around.

My scoobieroo gets around 34 mpg.
I am for a guzzler tax on vehicles to pay for alternative energy incentives.
The guzzler tax would be waived if a genuine BUSINESS reason is present.
You would need a commercial registered plate to avoid the guzzler tax.

Last edited:
Energy indepnedence is a great goal. But how we get to that goal is the question. Repugs will want to drill and refine our way to energy independence. Liberals will want reduce consumption and look at alternative clean fuel sources.

I belive we should go full speed ahead at all ways of obtaining Energy INdependence...
Yes, the solution must come from many sources, and needs to address both the demand side and the supply side. We need to put conservation first because it is easier to satisfy a smaller demand, and something that can undertaken quickly.

Another aspect of this approach is that we need to look at is the embedded energy - not just what it takes to operate the device or what the product will save in use over time, but what it takes (upfront) to make the product. What about disposal costs? We need to take a total lifecycle approach to get a worthwhile effective plan in place.

Please somebody nominate me for Sec of Energy, I KNOW I can do a better job than this admin...

Kinda like the claim about synthetic oil saving energy and reducing polloution ?
It takes more energy and such to make synthetic oil so it is a wash at best on the polloution angle.

Yes, the solution must come from many sources, and needs to address both the demand side and the supply side. We need to put conservation first because it is easier to satisfy a smaller demand, and something that can undertaken quickly.

Another aspect of this approach is that we need to look at is the embedded energy - not just what it takes to operate the device or what the product will save in use over time, but what it takes (upfront) to make the product. What about disposal costs? We need to take a total lifecycle approach to get a worthwhile effective plan in place.

Please somebody nominate me for Sec of Energy, I KNOW I can do a better job than this admin...

What we have now is what you get when big energy runs the national energy policy.

Kinda like if the fast food industry were running the FDA.

Ohh and Jimmy carter caused the gas lines ? I thought they were just because we ran out of cheap gas ?
We need Nixxons wage and price freeze and Fords "WIN" program ?

It's close to 70 / 75 % imported
demand goes up 1 to 3% each year and our domestic production declines at nearly 5% per year.
We need to dev alternative from a strategic position as fast as possible.
Forget getting off mid east oil, do the math soon we will produce less than 1/5 can you imagine if there were some major supply disruption what that would do to the economy.
Next Pres need to double the hybrid credits wisely started by Bush.
Also give the same amount of credit for Diesel and flex fuel cars.
That way we have some real momentum going to potentially keep us out of and economy destroying lack of oil.

Uncle Jed Clampett

Right on with Diesel and Flex Fuel...(Biosfuel) this is a reality and it is not being pushed enough...and this is where Farming enters the fray.. bigtime
Opportunities here and not enough people are pushing for it...
I thought aout buying some acreage to get in on this...

Last edited:

Oh my... another black hat -white hat post.... please Jarod...in regards to alternative fuel..outline all the wonderful things that Clinton-Gore achieved while in the White House for 8 years..., the fact is they did less than GW... and thats a damn shame.

Back