Can Internet Flirtations Lead to a Dangerous Liaison?

Steppenwolf

I love the internet! It's almost as good as sex. But I got to thinking, being that I'm a married woman, is it proper to be chatting it up and getting flirtatious with other men on messageboards. I do it for fun, but I'm wondering if this is going overboard and could it lead to something harmful.

I love the internet! It's almost as good as sex. But I got to thinking, being that I'm a married woman, is it proper to be chatting it up and getting flirtatious with other men on messageboards. I do it for fun, but I'm wondering if this is going overboard and could it lead to something harmful.
It would depend on whether you set on one and had an emotional affair with that person.

If you find yourself willing to discuss things with a particular person online that you wouldn't with your husband you should worry at least a little bit and do some careful introspection.

/Dr. Laura...

Flirting is harmless. If you hide it from your spouse its not good.

Having cyber-sex would be taking things to another level. But flirting doesn't seem to be anything more than being extra friendly to the opposite sex.

Not as long as whenever you think of actually meeting the said person you invision they look like Carl Rove with a bad case of staff infection.

Internet sex is a whole other thing and I have still to figure out how one types while involved in the other parts of the activity.

Not as long as whenever you think of actually meeting the said person you invision they look like Carl Rove with a bad case of staff infection.

Internet sex is a whole other thing and I have still to figure out how one types while involved in the other parts of the activity.
With their forehead?

Use a voice chat or learn to type one handed. (or so I am told)

It would depend on whether you set on one and had an emotional affair with that person.

If you find yourself willing to discuss things with a particular person online that you wouldn't with your husband you should worry at least a little bit and do some careful introspection.

/Dr. Laura...

What do you mean by emotional affair?

I'm actually a big fan of Dr. Laura and I'm wondering if she would say that I would be wrong to have male friends.

Actually, my husband and I discuss almost everything, but I go to the internet just to shoot the breeze and make some interesting conversation.

I don't hide the conversations that I have, but nor do I share them.

With their forehead?

I would think if a guy could reach his fore head with it he could reach his mouth with it and no man would ever leave his house again.........Oh you mean Type with their forehead. Is this where Dixies famous "pin head" feature comes in handy for him?

I'm actually a big fan of Dr. Laura and I'm wondering if she would say that I would be wrong to have male friends.

Actually, my husband and I discuss almost everything, but I go to the internet just to shoot the breeze and make some interesting conversation.

I think an emotional affair is even worse than a sexual one. It is certainly more intimate.

Flirting is harmless. If you hide it from your spouse its not good.

Having cyber-sex would be taking things to another level. But flirting doesn't seem to be anything more than being extra friendly to the opposite sex.

That is probably key. I'm not sure how he would react. I haven't had male friends for a while now although I did have some in college. Some of them wanted more than a friendship and when that didn't come to fruition, the friendship didn't last.

An emotional affair is one where you are getting the emotive part of your relationship from another in the form of your internet conversations.

If you do not have to hide your conversations on the internet from your husband then you are not in any danger of crossing a line. If you do start hiding your internet conversations, then you, again, may need to do a bit of introspection.

An emotional affair is one where you are getting the emotive part of your relationship from another in the form of your internet conversations.
If you do not have to hide your conversations on the internet from your husband then you are not in any danger of crossing a line. If you do start hiding your internet conversations, then you, again, may need to do a bit of introspection.

I'm a little dense today, I'm not getting this.

If you go to the internet to bare your soul about things you would only normally discuss with a lover with a specific internet "flirt" target you are likely having an emotional affair.

Ok, suppose you started talking with Larry online. You and Larry became closer and closer. At some point you begin to be more open with him than with your husband. You fall "in love" with him and are now emotionally involved with another man. Whether the two of you have had sex is bside the point, you are having an affair.

Think of it as an affair involving your heart instead of anything sexual.

If you go to the internet to bare your soul about things you would only normally discuss with a lover with a specific internet "flirt" target you are likely having an emotional affair.

So if I'm discussing things about my past and history that anyone who really knows me, knows already, it is considered safe?

So if I'm discussing things about my past and history that anyone who really knows me, knows already, it is considered safe?
It all depends. "Likely" is not "certain". It is something you have to decide your limits on.

A good measure would be if you have to hide your conversations from your husband because he "just wouldn't understand we're 'just friends'"

Ok, suppose you started talking with Larry online. You and Larry became closer and closer. At some point you begin to be more open with him than with your husband. You fall "in love" with him and are now emotionally involved with another man. Whether the two of you have had sex is bside the point, you are having an affair.

Think of it as an affair involving your heart instead of anything sexual.

Now the picture is becoming more clear. No, I'm not in love with anyone outside of my husband, but I don't want to start going down the "wrong" road. How can I avoid going down the "wrong" road?

"Safe" is relative. If you are emotionally involved with whoever you are talking with (as more than friends), then its an emotional affair.

I can't see any public posts about you being in that category.

Now the picture is becoming more clear. No, I'm not in love with anyone outside of my husband, but I don't want to start going down the "wrong" road. How can I avoid going down the "wrong" road?
The same way you do in RL. You set a line and you don't cross it, and don't start down the road where you are hiding what you say to that special someone...

Back