Christmas food

PMP'S Misty Balls....

Made a batch this afternoon and decided I should put the recipe here.......it was given to me by a client nearly thirty years ago.....she said she had never given the recipe to anyone else.....she's passed and had no kids.....I will bless you with this very unique treat.....

1 cup pecans
1 1/4 cup vanilla wafers
1 cup powdered sugar (I substitute stevia for this)
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder

run these four ingredients through a food processor until finely ground

add
2 tablespoons white corn syrup (might substitute agave, but I have not tried it)
1/4 cup of Irish Mist

combine thoroughly.....

roll into 1 inch balls and then roll in sugar (again, I used stevia)

store at room temperature in an airtight container....

makes around 24 depending on how much you nibble while making them

added bonus....smells fantastic when you open the container........

I did see one similar recipe on the internet......it used Irish whisky and two tablespoons of instant coffee......were called Irish Coffee balls......

What absolutely has to be on your table Christmas Day?
nothing. I used to buy a rib roast for Christmas dinner and got tired of it not getting ate. My elderly parents don't eat much any more my sisters are usually on some fad diet or are starving themselves. My brother inlaws would rather drink beer than eat food and I got tired of spending well over $100 for a rib roast roasted to perfection that I would end turning into stew cause no one would eat it.

Now we do small plates and instead of a sit down meal everyone grazes and drinks all day long.

Last edited:
my parents always served head cheese for breakfast on Christmas Day......ground pork liver, jowl meat and various and misc. pig parts....fried and put on a slice of white bread and drowned in corn syrup......actually delicious......but, it was an initiation ritual......applicant in-laws were not permitted to marry into the family unless they ate at least one plate......

Very generous of you to leave them an easy out.

norah what does that taste like if you had to compare it to something?
well I'm not Norah but havin ate it I can tell you not much different than beef filet minion. A slightly gamier flavor but the texture is pretty much the same. Serious good eats depending on what the deer ranges on for fodder.

I've heard those puny Texas deer can be tough, stringy and taste like sage brush unlike our corn fed midwestern beasts.

well I'm not Norah but havin ate it I can tell you not much different than beef filet minion. A slightly gamier flavor but the texture is pretty much the same. Serious good eats depending on what the deer ranges on for fodder.

I've heard those puny Texas deer can be tough, stringy and taste like sage brush unlike our corn fed midwestern beasts.
That's actually a pretty accurate description. Lack of fat also tends to account for lack of flavor that you typically get with beef. I sometimes describe it almost as having a liver taste, due the what many term 'gamey'.

It relies on how you spice it, or what you cook it with for flavor. For the tender cuts, I haven't found a better taste than in a pan w/butter and salt/pepper.

too small a family to cook. no current g/f to deal with ( sadly I'm starting to like that fact - relationships are way too much work)
maybe go to a chinese restaurant like that Christmas movie

Its hard to describe since I dont think it tastes like any other meat. Maybe a little more irony or gamey than lean beef? Its like the most tender part of the deer and is just awesome fried. It can have the same texture sometimes as chicken fried steak.
Ok...now the gourmet in me is freaking. You cook the back strap like chicken fried steak? I don't doubt at all that it's probably supper good chicken fried steak but I guess if you made chicken fried from fillet minion that would be pretty good chicken fried steak too.

Try this with your venison back strap. Wrap it in bacon. Depending on its size roast it for 30 to 40 min at 300 deg F. (Internal temp 140-145). Cover in foil and let rest 15 to 20 min. Heat a cast iron skillet to searing hot on your stove top. Cut the bacon wrapped back strap into serving size medallions. Put some butter in the cast iron skillet then sear the medallions one minute on each side. Make a sauce of the pan drippings by adding a cup of red wine to deglaze the pan. Let the wine cook off the alcohol and reduce y half. The Add half a stick of butter. Let it melt into the wine. Then pour The sauce over the back strap medallions. Garnish with some fresh parsley and serve with mashed root vegetables and broiled green vegetables of your choice. I promise your father will do backflips.

Last edited:
That's actually a pretty accurate description. Lack of fat also tends to account for lack of flavor that you typically get with beef. I sometimes describe it almost as having a liver taste, due the what many term 'gamey'.

It relies on how you spice it, or what you cook it with for flavor. For the tender cuts, I haven't found a better taste than in a pan w/butter and salt/pepper.
i couldn't agree more. See my follow up post with essentially a wine butter sauce recipe.

my parents always served head cheese for breakfast on Christmas Day......ground pork liver, jowl meat and various and misc. pig parts....fried and put on a slice of white bread and drowned in corn syrup......actually delicious......but, it was an initiation ritual......applicant in-laws were not permitted to marry into the family unless they ate at least one plate......

Head cheese? Um... no.

Anyway, traditionally I do a Cajun meal. Jambalaya, etouffe, most times turducken... But there's always Green Chili even if all I do is turkey.

Ok...now the gourmet in me is freaking. You cook the back strap like chicken fried steak? I don't doubt at all that it's probably supper good chicken fried steak but I guess if you made chicken fried from fillet minion that would be pretty good chicken fried steak too.

Try this with your venison back strap. Wrap it in bacon. Depending on its size roast it for 30 to 40 min at 300 deg F. (Internal temp 140-145). Cover in foil and let rest 15 to 20 min. Heat a cast iron skillet to searing hot on your stove top. Cut the bacon wrapped back strap into serving size medallions. Put some butter in the cast iron skillet then sear the medallions one minute on each side. Make a sauce of the pan drippings by adding a cup of red wine to deglaze the pan. Let the wine cook off the alcohol and reduce y half. The Add half a stick of butter. Let it melt into the wine. Then pour The sauce over the back strap medallions. Garnish with some fresh parsley and serve with mashed root vegetables and broiled green vegetables of your choice. I promise your father will do backflips.

It's ok that way Mott. But I'd still rather slice it and fry it like chicken fingers...with biscuits and gravy on the side. That's my all time favorite way to enjoy deer. Other than that I like to slice it about 3/4 in and cook med-rare on the grill.

It's ok that way Mott. But I'd still rather slice it and fry it like chicken fingers...with biscuits and gravy on the side. That's my all time favorite way to enjoy deer. Other than that I like to slice it about 3/4 in and cook med-rare on the grill.

I love venison roast, stews, grilled, ground or sausage. Any and all espcially steak seared with salt and pepper.

How I cook most meats.

Last night we had Tamales, menudo, beans, pasta with cheese, chips and slasa.

Today we had turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, stuffing, green salad, pasta salad, and rolls.

Back