Christmas food

I love venison roast, stews, grilled, ground or sausage. Any and all espcially steak seared with salt and pepper.

When I grill venison that's all the seasoning it gets...a small amount of salt and plenty of pepper. I make venison salami and bologna also.

It's ok that way Mott. But I'd still rather slice it and fry it like chicken fingers...with biscuits and gravy on the side. That's my all time favorite way to enjoy deer. Other than that I like to slice it about 3/4 in and cook med-rare on the grill.

Fried venison fingers? Don't get me wrong it sounds great but wouldn't you use a lesser cut for that?

When I grill venison that's all the seasoning it gets...a small amount of salt and plenty of pepper. I make venison salami and bologna also.
I've found most beef recipes work well with Does and button bucks. Bucks get games due to testosterone. Other than a few tender cuts I'd just as soon Grind a buck into trail sausage or pemican.

Fried venison fingers? Don't get me wrong it sounds great but wouldn't you use a lesser cut for that?

We do use a lesser cut but that is the way most of the folks around here enjoy their back strap. In fact most wives are headed into the house to fry it up as soon as their husband fillets the back strap off. My boy and I have killed 5 this year so we have various and sundry cuts and lots of ground packaged and in the freezer. Some cuts for more gourmet prep but lots of standard frying meat. Also we donated 75 lbs of ground to a local needy family. I'll tell you, I'm tired of processing deer...but it's been a good year.

I've found most beef recipes work well with Does and button bucks. Bucks get games due to testosterone. Other than a few tender cuts I'd just as soon Grind a buck into trail sausage or pemican.

Bigger bucks can tend to be more gamey but as long as they're not tough we process them all the same. The test we use is slicing a few pieces of back strap off to fry before totally processing the deer. I let the deer stay in a cooler for at least two days before processing for the freezer so there is plenty of time for checking.

Bigger bucks can tend to be more gamey but as long as they're not tough we process them all the same. The test we use is slicing a few pieces of back strap off to fry before totally processing the deer. I let the deer stay in a cooler for at least two days before processing for the freezer so there is plenty of time for checking.
Deer have reached nearly pest levels around here. We tried expanding the length of Deer season and were going to permit high powered rifles but our GOP State Legislators put an end to that.

Deer have reached nearly pest levels around here. We tried expanding the length of Deer season and were going to permit high powered rifles but our GOP State Legislators put an end to that.
Warmer winters coupled with more deforestation have made for the same issues here. They're always in the road, or eating the landscaping in neighborhoods that border wooded areas.

You folks need to eat more seafood. .. ......

Got plenty of freshwater fish in the freezer. A vacuum sealer is a wonderful thing. Fried a bunch of crappie just last Thursday. Man was that good. Got catfish, some bass, crappie and goggle eye. When I take a notion I'll set out a trap or two and catch some crawdads and have a boil. Ours aren't as big, on average, as Louisiana's but they're just as good. Hard to come by oysters, crabs and such in Oklahoma so I have to make do with what we have. ;)

Got plenty of freshwater fish in the freezer. A vacuum sealer is a wonderful thing. Fried a bunch of crappie just last Thursday. Man was that good. Got catfish, some bass, crappie and goggle eye. When I take a notion I'll set out a trap or two and catch some crawdads and have a boil. Ours aren't as big, on average, as Louisiana's but they're just as good. Hard to come by oysters, crabs and such in Oklahoma so I have to make do with what we have. ;)

I went fishing for crawdads once with a crew I was stationed with. Mean little bastards! I will tell you LR, freshwater fishing is immensely more difficult that saltwater. You actually need some skill for freshwater!

Before and after:

ooCzxF1.jpg

Back