Christmas only discussion.

yes the Russian pale

https://www.facinghistory.org/resource-library/image/pale-settlement

One of my granddaughters Hebrew name name is Tzeitel

That's awesome! My middle daughter was in the Senior Choir and Drama Clubs in h.s. We both watched Fiddler over and over and she wished so much that her drama teacher would agree to let them perform the play. The drama teacher said that they didn't have enough money for period costumes in the budget. So I gave her enough to cover it plus. They did a wonderful job, and my daughter got to play Hodel, although she wanted the part of Tzeitel. Wish you could hear her belt out "Matchmaker."

That's awesome! My middle daughter was in the Senior Choir and Drama Clubs in h.s. We both watched Fiddler over and over and she wished so much that her drama teacher would agree to let them perform the play. The drama teacher said that they didn't have enough money for period costumes in the budget. So I gave her enough to cover it plus. They did a wonderful job, and my daughter got to play Hodel, although she wanted the part of Tzeitel. Wish you could hear her belt out "Matchmaker."

Awesome!!!!!

yes the Russian pale

https://www.facinghistory.org/resource-library/image/pale-settlement

One of my granddaughters Hebrew name name is Tzeitel

To me, it is always remarkable how many American Jews I meet who have roots in the Pale of Settlement in the old Russian empire. Primarily a lot of them seem to have roots in Byelorussia. Even more remarkable are how many claim to have ancestors from Mogilev, which is not that far from my father's village. In fact, American Jews are some of the few Americans who even know what I am talking about when I make references to White Russia and Byelorussia.

To me, it is always remarkable how many American Jews I meet who have roots in the Pale of Settlement in the old Russian empire. Primarily a lot of them seem to have roots in Byelorussia. Even more remarkable are how many claim to have ancestors from Mogilev, which is not that far from my father's village. In fact, American Jews are some of the few Americans who even know what I am talking about when I make references to White Russia and Byelorussia.

yes

My grandmother was from Poznan Poland (was in the Russian pale) , she left and married my grandfather some of her family stayed behind and where murdered when the nazis invaded in 1939, my grandfather was from tavrig , they left because of the pogroms. some of my grandfathers family died in the camps

Last edited:
yes

My grandmother was from Poznan Poland (was in the Russian pale) , she left and married my grandfather some of her family stayed behind and where murdered when the nazis invaded in 1939, my grandfather was from tavrig , they left because of the pogroms. some of my grandfathers family died in the camps

Riveting.

I have seen the Yama memorial in Minsk. Apparently the Nazis succeeded in murdering pretty much the entire pre-war Jewish population of 900,000 in Byelorussia. Some jews joined the Partisans and managed to take down some Nazis with them though

What's more important on Christmas than attending church?

The spirit of the season. Giving, family, sharing, helping those in need, bringing people together, etc. Those actually embody the spirit more than just going to church. The church part is to pay your respects and is a good starting point. It's how you go from there that really embodies the holiday.

The spirit of the season. Giving, family, sharing, helping those in need, bringing people together, etc. Those actually embody the spirit more than just going to church. The church part is to pay your respects and is a good starting point. It's how you go from there that really embodies the holiday.

The only problem with making it a cultural experience is the susceptibility to aspects of culture, such as rampant consumerism. And then people stop respecting it...

The only problem with making it a cultural experience is the susceptibility to aspects of culture, such as rampant consumerism. And then people stop respecting it...

Well, as the Prophet Mason once said: "Christmas ... the Holiday Jews love most".

Back