Coffee snobs vs. Beer snobs

For those of you reminiscing about the '70s, allow me to introduce you to what may be my favorite web comic:

http://www.1977thecomic.com/

ahhh, nostalgia. I remember Thursday as if it were yesterday. Memory is a funny thing though. I cant remember where I put my front door keys last night but I can remember what I had for tea on my fifth birthday!
Now this is going wayyyyy back. I downloaded and watched one of the few remaining episodes of the Amos n Andy Show the other day.
It was crap!
But in the end imagination is much better than memory. The women are better looking!

ahhh, nostalgia. I remember Thursday as if it were yesterday. Memory is a funny thing though. I cant remember where I put my front door keys last night but I can remember what I had for tea on my fifth birthday!
Now this is going wayyyyy back. I downloaded and watched one of the few remaining episodes of the Amos n Andy Show the other day.
It was crap!

But in the end imagination is much better than memory. The women are better looking!

Too true! Sometimes those films can be appreciated if considered in context, but not always. There was a small theater in Montreal that used to run classic films, and a group of my friends often went when I was there in grad school. One evening we saw Hitchcock's "The 39 Steps", a riveting thriller for its time. Sad to say, the audience just laughed. Plots, dialogue, scenery, special effects, had come a long way, even at the time of our viewing, since the movie had been made. Others of his films fared far better over time, but the chilling 39 steps was long past its prime.

It was crap!

Amos and Andy were much better on radio.

Now we're getting to stuff I just don't like. This thread is about coffee so we get an ad for coffee roasters at the top.
There is no way in the world that, even supposing I was looking for such a contraption, I would buy that brand!
I think we should start charging these arseholes for the use of our screens. It's my screen. Its my electricity. So, how about a one US cent for every time it is shown on my private machine?
All those in favour?

So as I read with growing concern about WM's potential poisoning, I noted many posts touting how much better fresh ground is over pre-ground from a can, and it got me wondering...

Who is more annoying, coffee snobs and their "whole bean/grind it fresh/latte sipping" snootiness, or beer snobs and their "microbrew/Pabst sucks" attitude?

Anybody else here use (or even heard of) the Toddy system? 1 lb of coarse ground coffee, steeped in 1+ gallon of cold water for 10-12 hours yields 1 gal of coffee concentrate, which beeause it has been cold brewed, has none of the acid or bitter oils of regular coffee. Pour 1-2 oz of concentrate into your cup, depending on how strong you like it, add hot water, and you have a cup of incredibly smooth coffee. The equipment is pretty simple: a rubber-stoppered brewing container with replacable filters and a glass carafe to drain the concentrate into. Go to http://www.toddycafe.com to check out the system and the coffee blends they offer

Anybody else here use (or even heard of) the Toddy system? 1 lb of coarse ground coffee, steeped in 1+ gallon of cold water for 10-12 hours yields 1 gal of coffee concentrate, which beeause it has been cold brewed, has none of the acid or bitter oils of regular coffee. Pour 1-2 oz of concentrate into your cup, depending on how strong you like it, add hot water, and you have a cup of incredibly smooth coffee. The equipment is pretty simple: a rubber-stoppered brewing container with replacable filters and a glass carafe to drain the concentrate into. Go to http://www.toddycafe.com to check out the system and the coffee blends they offer

Very interesting system. I am going to have to do more research on this. Strong coffee with less acid would be a huge treat.

It was crap!

I don't like Amos n Andy. The best comedy radio shows were Fibber McGee & Molly and The Great Gildersleeve. Gildersleeve was far better quality and McGee was better at laughs.

Too true! Sometimes those films can be appreciated if considered in context, but not always. There was a small theater in Montreal that used to run classic films, and a group of my friends often went when I was there in grad school. One evening we saw Hitchcock's "The 39 Steps", a riveting thriller for its time. Sad to say, the audience just laughed. Plots, dialogue, scenery, special effects, had come a long way, even at the time of our viewing, since the movie had been made. Others of his films fared far better over time, but the chilling 39 steps was long past its prime.

I love that movie and own a copy of it. Hitchcock didn't use graphic violence to enhance his stories and sometimes that made them all the more chilling. Did you ever see his "Frenzy"? That creeped me out the first time I saw it.

I love that movie and own a copy of it. Hitchcock didn't use graphic violence to enhance his stories and sometimes that made them all the more chilling. Did you ever see his "Frenzy"? That creeped me out the first time I saw it.

Hitchcock went downhill after he made Psycho. His best stuff was in the 50s, with Vertigo being his all-time greatest. I am not a fan of The Birds or Frenzy, but at least Frenzy is watchable.

That, and "The Birds" (I couldn't walk past a perched crow without shuddering for a long, long time after that) and "Rear Window".

With the 39 Steps, it wasn't the plot but the poor cinematography/effects compared to what we had in the '80s that we found, shall we say, lacking. I still can watch old Star Trek episodes with the ridiculous papier mache rocks and appreciate the show for what it brought to its time.

Back