College football - off season chatter

That wasn't the point of my rant. The point is, is that SEC fans are delusional about this notion of "superiority" as the facts don't bear that out. The facts bear out that their just as good as the other Big 6 conferences....but not better. Alabamas claim to 14 national championships is just more evidence of SEC delusions of grandeur.

That gets us back to the topic I started. The BCS is corrupt in favor of the SEC and the statistics prove the case. The SEC has only one around 11% of the undisputed College Football national championships prior to the BCS....then WHOOPS all of a sudden they're winning more than 50%? That's proof of statistical improbability right there. The USA Today/ESPN poll (I mean come on.....you can't honestly see the conflict of interest here?) listed 6 of the top 13 teams as SEC teams. Again, the statistical probability of that occurring based on the SEC's winning percentage are remote. It should in reality be 2 SEC teams in the top 13 based on the leagues won lost record against Big 6 competition. Three would be within the realm of statistical probability but would be close to being a statistical outlier where as 6? Thats completely improbable based upon the results on the field. The only thing that could explain that is corruption and one only has to listen to all the hype on ESPN about the SEC's mythological superiority and know about their multi-billion dollar investment in the SEC to know what the source of the corruption is.

As for the SEC kicking ass.....at 0.512 winning percentage against Big 6 competition is hardly kicking ass. You're just as good as the other Big 6 conferences but not better. The proof has been played out on the field proves this and ESPN's talking heads opinions and those of SEC supporters means exactly squat. Just because someone keeps repeating something that isn't true doesn't make it true.

How many of Alabama's national championships would you say are legit? I understand the issue with the 1973 season.

The 1978 season we went 11-1 and won the Sugar Bowl. The AP poll had us at #1.
The 1979 season we went 12-0 and won the Sugar Bowl. The AP and the Coaches polls had us at #1.
In 1992 we went 13-0. We won the inaugural SEC Championship and beat the #1 ranked team (we were ranked #2).
In 2009 we won the BCS Championship.
In 2011 we won the BCS Championship.
In 2012 we won the BCS Championship.

That is 6 legitimate National Championships since 1975. I'd call THAT kicking ass.

Also, while the entire SEC may not have been impressive, look at the number of BCS Championships won by the SEC.

Oh, and if you want a statistic, since Bama has won 6 National Championships in 35 years, that means the Crimson Tide ALONE accounts for 17% of the National Championships in the last 3.5 decades.

Yea, that's twice as many as we have in the same time frame. That's pretty much kicking butt. But we do have the highest winning percentage of any D1 team since 1936 ... the start of the AP poll.

Well, Alabamer might not have to play against Johnny Foosball if the NaziCAA goes after him for doing nothing wrong. It's hard to think of an organization less deserving of respect than those fascist hobgoblins.

Well, Alabamer might not have to play against Johnny Foosball if the NaziCAA goes after him for doing nothing wrong. It's hard to think of an organization less deserving of respect than those fascist hobgoblins.

The NCAA is a bunch of worthless pieces of shit. I truly, truly want Manziel on the field when we beat them!!

How many of Alabama's national championships would you say are legit? I understand the issue with the 1973 season.

The 1978 season we went 11-1 and won the Sugar Bowl. The AP poll had us at #1.
The 1979 season we went 12-0 and won the Sugar Bowl. The AP and the Coaches polls had us at #1.
In 1992 we went 13-0. We won the inaugural SEC Championship and beat the #1 ranked team (we were ranked #2).
In 2009 we won the BCS Championship.
In 2011 we won the BCS Championship.
In 2012 we won the BCS Championship.

That is 6 legitimate National Championships since 1975. I'd call THAT kicking ass.

Also, while the entire SEC may not have been impressive, look at the number of BCS Championships won by the SEC.

Oh, and if you want a statistic, since Bama has won 6 National Championships in 35 years, that means the Crimson Tide ALONE accounts for 17% of the National Championships in the last 3.5 decades.
I'd agree with 79, 92, 09, 12.

78 USC was the undisputed national champ as the only game Bama lost that year was to USC (They beat Bama in Bama too) the true national champ. 2011 (NCS game in Jan 2012) was an unholy joke foisted upon the nation. A team that couldn't even win it's own conference was annointed national champions by ESPN. That only makes my argument for me about the corruption of the BCS.

Look, the point of my rant isn't to say that Bama or the SEC suck. Clearly they don't. Bama is one of the all time top 5 programs with a great winning tradition. My point is that based on the results of play on the field that the facts don't support that the SEC is superior to the other Big six conferences. That data proves, inarguably, that the big six conferences, including the SEC, are very evenly matched.

The fact is, is that the BCS polling is rigged to virtually gaurentee the SEC a spot in the NCG. The fact that ESPN is even involved in the polling is a big red flag there. The fact that ESPN/ABC have a 3 billion dollar investment is proof of a major conflict of interest.

It will be interesting to see what happens after this year with the new format. It would be extremely difficult in a 4 team format to put a team who is not a conference champion into the 4 team playoff.

I'd agree with 79, 92, 09, 12.

78 USC was the undisputed national champ as the only game Bama lost that year was to USC (They beat Bama in Bama too) the true national champ. 2011 (NCS game in Jan 2012) was an unholy joke foisted upon the nation. A team that couldn't even win it's own conference was annointed national champions by ESPN. That only makes my argument for me about the corruption of the BCS.

Look, the point of my rant isn't to say that Bama or the SEC suck. Clearly they don't. Bama is one of the all time top 5 programs with a great winning tradition. My point is that based on the results of play on the field that the facts don't support that the SEC is superior to the other Big six conferences. That data proves, inarguably, that the big six conferences, including the SEC, are very evenly matched.

The fact is, is that the BCS polling is rigged to virtually gaurentee the SEC a spot in the NCG. The fact that ESPN is even involved in the polling is a big red flag there. The fact that ESPN/ABC have a 3 billion dollar investment is proof of a major conflict of interest.

It will be interesting to see what happens after this year with the new format. It would be extremely difficult in a 4 team format to put a team who is not a conference champion into the 4 team playoff.

Several people I know have talked about the 2011 NC and the fact that we didn't win out conference. That is great except no one mentioned it as a requirement BEFORE then.

Also, it was pretty much Bama (who only lost to the #1 team in overtime) and a team that lost to an unranked team who didn't even have a winning record. How could any rational human being claim Bama shouldn't have been there.

Oh and by the way, you're welcome for "unholy joke". It was the straw that broke the back of those fighting against a playoff.

As for the 1978 season, the AP selected Alabama as the National Champion. So I have no problem claiming that one.

Several people I know have talked about the 2011 NC and the fact that we didn't win out conference. That is great except no one mentioned it as a requirement BEFORE then.

Also, it was pretty much Bama (who only lost to the #1 team in overtime) and a team that lost to an unranked team who didn't even have a winning record. How could any rational human being claim Bama shouldn't have been there.

Oh and by the way, you're welcome for "unholy joke". It was the straw that broke the back of those fighting against a playoff.

As for the 1978 season, the AP selected Alabama as the National Champion. So I have no problem claiming that one.
You're right there. It did break the back of the BCS.....at least I hope it has. If during the 2015 championship game there are two teams from one conference in the playoff then we'll no that the situation has not been fixed and is still corrupt. In a 4 team playoff there's no room for a team that can't win it's conference.

If the BCS is broken and we don now have a real, honest and credible, national championship tournament.....well for that I can be greatful and give the SEC it's brief shining moment.

Cause it will sure as hell be over once we have a real national championship tournament. :p

We are less than two weeks from the opening of the 2013 season.

ROLL TIDE!! Bama's offense will be much better. The 'D' will be just as tough.
We're sitting in the edge of our nails here in Cowtown. Of course the Buckeyes will be good...but how good? There's a gnawing feeling of to high of expectations with this team. The preseason #2 rating means a guaranteed trip to the NCG if we win our conference and go undefeated.....good chance we get there if we win the conference with 1 loss. Though my previous postings show that that doesn't exactly thrill me. It's the last year of the BCS so it is what it is.

The biggest problem OSU has is depth. Particularly on offensive and defensive line. Our starters are great.....but we could be in trouble if they get hurt.....and injuries happen in football.

Prediction.....if we don't have any major injuries we should be a BCS caliber team and Braxton Miller has a legitimate shot at the Heisman. It's going to be tough this year...it is every year.....Michigan is just plain hungry to kick some ass......so is Nebraska.......Wisconsin has a new head coach but as long as Barry Alverez is the AD....Wisconsin will field a good team. I wouldn't be surprised to see Penn St rise it's ugly head. Then or Mich St or Iowa.

Playing Wisc, North Western, PSU and IA all in a row is just brutal.

I was just reading about the 1950 Michigan-OSU game. Every point of that 9-3 blizzard fest was scored by defense (if you count the field goal as defensive, as it resulted from a blocked punt). Now that's a game!!

:snow:

We're sitting in the edge of our nails here in Cowtown. Of course the Buckeyes will be good...but how good? There's a gnawing feeling of to high of expectations with this team. The preseason #2 rating means a guaranteed trip to the NCG if we win our conference and go undefeated.....good chance we get there if we win the conference with 1 loss. Though my previous postings show that that doesn't exactly thrill me. It's the last year of the BCS so it is what it is.

The biggest problem OSU has is depth. Particularly on offensive and defensive line. Our starters are great.....but we could be in trouble if they get hurt.....and injuries happen in football.

Prediction.....if we don't have any major injuries we should be a BCS caliber team and Braxton Miller has a legitimate shot at the Heisman. It's going to be tough this year...it is every year.....Michigan is just plain hungry to kick some ass......so is Nebraska.......Wisconsin has a new head coach but as long as Barry Alverez is the AD....Wisconsin will field a good team. I wouldn't be surprised to see Penn St rise it's ugly head. Then or Mich St or Iowa.

Playing Wisc, North Western, PSU and IA all in a row is just brutal.

I think your biggest fear might be Michigan. Now that they don't have to rely on Denard Robinson, they may have an offense. Plus y'all have to go there to play.

Bama opens with VaTech and our second game is Texas A&M, so we will know pretty quick if the new players gelled.

I was just reading about the 1950 Michigan-OSU game. Every point of that 9-3 blizzard fest was scored by defense (if you count the field goal as defensive, as it resulted from a blocked punt). Now that's a game!!

:snow:
I was at the "Freezer Bowl" in 1981 (or was it 80?) when the Bengals played the San Diego Chargers. Wind Chill was like -50 deg F. We literally had the worst seat at River Front Stadium. Right behind the scoreboard. By the end of the first quarter we had promoted our seats to the midlevel seats on the 50 yard line. At halftime we had Field level seats. Apparently a lot of people showed up who weren't dressed properly. Dad and I look like we had just returned from the Scott expedition. We were prepared. What those guys did that day I couldn't even imagine doing. That was just plain nuts.

I don't think we really ever recovered from that game and that probably played into our losing our first super bowl. I felt bad for San Diego. They played two games, back to back, in extreme conditions. They played overtime the week before in an awesome game against the Dolphins in sweltering conditions in Miami. Then they came up to play the Bengals and it was -50 chill factor stuff. You could see it in their eyes, they played with all their heart, but you could see it in their eyes. It was a bridge to far. Greatest Bengals victory ever....that's for sure. Those guys were nuts to play football in that weather. They really should have canceled the game. I bet that game ended a few careers.

Just 3 days from the beginning of Alabama's football season!!!

I am stoked!! VaTech will try, but this year's offense will be embarrassingly good. Hopefully it won't get out of hand too quickly. Then a week off (not what I would choose, but ok). Then the Crimson Tide go to College Station for some payback against Texas A&M!!

ROLL TIDE, BABY!!!!

Just 3 days from the beginning of Alabama's football season!!!

I am stoked!! VaTech will try, but this year's offense will be embarrassingly good. Hopefully it won't get out of hand too quickly. Then a week off (not what I would choose, but ok). Then the Crimson Tide go to College Station for some payback against Texas A&M!!

ROLL TIDE, BABY!!!!
It should also be the last year of the SEC myth.

Back