Comrades

That looks like a decent wheel. What kind of hub does it have? This should have a quick release devise.

Nope, no quick release. This seems to have been a deliberate design decision, for whatever reason. You can get bikes with a quick release much cheaper than this. Perhaps it was to deter theft.

You mean road bike wheels and if you ride exclusively on the road then that may not be a bad idea...though the wheels you have look all right to me.

Well, I think it's fitted with 26" wheels, but since it had disc brakes fitting 700c wheels shouldn't be a problem. These wheels are nice, but one of them is going to need at least 5 spokes replaced to be in yessir condition again, and plus, I'm going to have to return this bike eventually, so I can't just strip the wheels.

If you decide you want to upgrade to a real road bike let me know. I have an old Scwhinn Paramount that's in great shape that I'm looking to sell. It's tange prestige frameset with ultegra 6400 components. It's a 54 cm frame. I put new high end wheels on it last year. The front is a custom built wheel with an ultegra hub and the rear wheel is a DT Swiss with a Shimano 105 hub. It's a $500 wheelset. I also upgraded the stem to an OS-99 carbon fiber stem. Here's a pic I took of it a few years ago with the old wheels on it that I have replaced as described above.

If your interested PM me and I can give you further detail and pricing.

View attachment 2363

Sorry, at the current time there's no way I could afford it. I know I'm talking about dumping money in repairing this bike, but you've got to know my dad, he's willing to spend money on something as long as it requires effort on my part, he's not generally willing to just buy stuff for me. And on my own, again, not possible.

Last edited:
I've been sleeping pretty well for the part few months, and exercising. So I've Ben in a pretty good mood. But then my bike broke, and I've been adjusting my sleeping schedule and sleeping poorly for the past couple of days, so I'm back to good old watermark, with all the patience of Stalin.

In actuality, Stalin has pretty good patience. He's dead.

Nope, no quick release. This seems to have been a deliberate design decision, for whatever reason. You can get bikes with a quick release much cheaper than this. Perhaps it was to deter theft.
Not really. Just cheap. You can replace the nuts and bolts with skewers and quick release levers for like $20 at your local bike shop.

Well, I think it's fitted with 26" wheels, but since it had disc brakes fitting 700c wheels shouldn't be a problem. These wheels are nice, but one of them is going to need at least 5 spokes replaced to be in yessir condition again, and plus, I'm going to have to return this bike eventually, so I can't just strip the wheels.

Sorry, at the current time there's no way I could afford it. I know I'm talking about dumping money in repairing this bike, but you've got to know my dad, he's willing to spend money on something as long as it requires effort on my part, he's not generally willing to just buy stuff for me. And on my own, again, not possible.
It's that damned job thing again, right? Well when you're a little more flush with cash and you want to step up give a shout out. I'm in no hurry to sell. Got a lot of miles on my Paramount and it's a sweet ride.

Well, I went overtook to my dad's, and he had an old Schwinn. So, I road to the highway 90 bridge over the Rigolets, which is the inlet to lake Pontchartrain - goddamn was it high, and you could see Lake Pontchartrain and the outskirts of Slidell in it. Then I road to the pearl river. I have pictures of this - I actually have pictures of all of my rides so far, about 200 of them. Didn't bother to upload them because it's several hundred megabytes. I suppose I can tell imgur to compress them somewhat and get it down to a reasonable size.

7lUvp5Lh.jpg

Top of the world!

UT78CO5.jpg

FZnmfFC.jpg

Outskirts of Slidell.

pwb6ZZz.jpg

Lake Pontchartrain is over that peninsula.

4OxYvaP.jpg

The Rigolets has a fast current coming in from the ocean, into lake Pontchartrain.

fHrCUWq.jpg

Panorama from the top of the bridge. Image stitching failed in the railing. If I gave a damn, I'd fix it in Photoshop, but I do not give a damn.

PukN42K.jpg

Panorama from about halfway up the bridge.

lTTCDXZ.jpg

A photo of the bridge from afar.

oHW6463.jpg

A bayou separating from the Pearl river.

Last edited:
If you'd paste the image link of the panoramas into your browser, you can zoom up pretty far. They're like 4000x2000 it something resolution photos.

I thought Katrina only hit Nawlins!

Yes, it entirely bypassed bridges to New Orleans only 10 miles away. It was like a precision bombing. Didn't even touch south Mississippi or rural Louisiana, obviously, only New Orleans was affected! Any memories of month long power outages on the part of the residents of those areas are clearly the result of hallucinations.

Back