Comrades

Yeah, but that's a race. You can't compare that to casual touring, where your free to ride at whatever pace you want. They do 3k miles in 10 days, I'm planning on 3k miles (to and back from where I am) in about a month. On the last RAAM, the winner did 2993 miles in 7 days and 22 hours - about 374 miles a day! My goal of 70 miles a day is 1/5 of that. Plenty of people do routes that long or longer at that kind of non-masochistic pace, there's no special skill or especially arduous training schedule required. And RAAM participants need the support team because they don't have time to take shopping detours, they're biking all of their time they're not sleeping. With a casual tour, by contrast, my biggest logistical worry is out west where there's a derth of inhabited areas with supermarkets and shopping centers, which I'll have to take into account when planning my route beforehand. I'll just have to be sure I pass through as many as possible, and pack up extra when I know it's going to be a few days.
I think you are missing my point. Obviously you're not going to train to a level of a RAAM racer but the point I'm making is that the more you train and the better you plan the more enjoyable of an experience this well be for you.

Just eliminated some white noise.

Today, 02:47 PM
USFREEDOM911

Dark Triad Member
This message is hidden because USFREEDOM911 is on your ignore list.

Today, 06:32 PM
The Dude

Verified User
This message is hidden because The Dude is on your ignore list.

I do 30 minutes daily on a stationary bike...get absolutely nowhere, yet my legs scream everyday. What am I doing wrong??

Just eliminated some white noise.

Today, 02:47 PM
USFREEDOM911

Dark Triad Member
This message is hidden because USFREEDOM911 is on your ignore list.

Today, 06:32 PM
The Dude

Verified User
This message is hidden because The Dude is on your ignore list.

HA HA HA HA
Watermark got all "unhinged" over a little poking with the sharpened stick. :pke:

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

At this rate, across America isn't going to happen anyway, and I'm already reducing my goal to a couple day trip to the Mississippi or something like that before getting a job. The injury and bike failure have already taken too much time, it's already getting too cold to ride.

It's not because the bikes shitty, when you ride a bike further than around your block (and me and my uncle have taken this bike hundreds if not thousands of miles), sometimes shit happens, you don't jump over to Wal-Mart and buy a new $150 bike every time that happens unless you're a prole.

Back