Comrades

Well, I am a pansy, usually I do nothing on a day.

It's funny, people came up to my on my trip, they could see my pack and that I wasn't a local, and they'd ask me where I was heading from. I'd say 'Picayune', and they'd look at me like I was a crazy person. And I wasn't even half done. When I got back to the house, I gobbled up all of the food and water I could find, and then slept for four hours. I hear these things aren't quite as hard if you aren't a crazy person like me, and don't plan your trip with no lunch or breaks in mind.
Well on a ride that long most sane people bring food and water with them. You took a serious risk of running low on blood sugar and getting a feeling called "The Bonk" where you just completely run out of energy as for the funny look.....get used to it if you keep riding. Anytime you tell most non-cyclist that your riding further than just around the block they look at you like you're nuts.

Great way to see the countryside though.

“It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” - Ernest "The Jew" Hemingway
Yup....he's right....when you take an 45 minutes to ride up the side of a mountain and 15 minutes to descend it....it's hard to forget it.

i woke up at noon today, watched the pats and the sox, drank some beer, surfed the net, then bbq'd and watched back to the future followed by boardwalk empire and then breaking bad.
I was disappointed in the fire fight. It was cliché and in the real world Hank and Gomie would have been as dead as road kill.

I woke up at 5 am, smoke a joint.
Played 2 hrs of tennis in blast furnace heat.
Watched the saints D beat the dirty birds.

How long did it take you?

Like 7 hours. I want reaching, I was intentionally going at a leisurely pace. I was was loaded down somewhat with clothes and other stuff in my pack. The hardest part, really, was that last 10-20 miles, when I realized I was totally out of energy and should've brought more food. I was nearly about to get off my bike and walk up that last hill, something I've never done before.

Well on a ride that long most sane people bring food and water with them. You took a serious risk of running low on blood sugar and getting a feeling called "The Bonk" where you just completely run out of energy as for the funny look.....get used to it if you keep riding. Anytime you tell most non-cyclist that your riding further than just around the block they look at you like you're nuts.

Great way to see the countryside though.

Well, I brought almost a gallon of water. I think I just wouldn't died without water. I don't think you understand, this is the climate of southern Mississippi. There's a reason the French couldn't colonize this place. It doesn't usually feel so bad in a bike, the air blowing past you makes up for the humidity, which normally short circuits your bodies evaporative cooling mechanism, but you can really feel it any time you stop, or on steep hills that nearly bring you too a hault.

The forests of southern Louisiana and Mississippi do have a certain charm when taken by bike, or, I suppose, they have to be taken by bike to have any charm at all.

Like 7 hours. I want reaching, I was intentionally going at a leisurely pace. I was was loaded down somewhat with clothes and other stuff in my pack. The hardest part, really, was that last 10-20 miles, when I realized I was totally out of energy and should've brought more food. I was nearly about to get off my bike and walk up that last hill, something I've never done before.
You should bring enough food to eat about 100 calories per hour and a pint of fluids (more if it's hot) or sports drink every hour.

You must be riding a super clunky bike. I'm twice your age and can do 50 in about 3 hours.

Well, I brought almost a gallon of water. I think I just wouldn't died without water. I don't think you understand, this is the climate of southern Mississippi. There's a reason the French couldn't colonize this place. It doesn't usually feel so bad in a bike, the air blowing past you makes up for the humidity, which normally short circuits your bodies evaporative cooling mechanism, but you can really feel it any time you stop, or on steep hills that nearly bring you too a hault.

The forests of southern Louisiana and Mississippi do have a certain charm when taken by bike, or, I suppose, they have to be taken by bike to have any charm at all.
Trust me....I've ridden in Mississippi before. I used to ride with some club guys from Jackson when I lived in Blytheville, AR. I know what you're talking about. Those can be dangerous conditions if your body isn't acclimated to that kind of heat and humidity.

If you're going to stay out longer than an hour or two I'd suggest buying a camel back and bring some extra coin to stop and buy some food and drink along the way. Dehydration and/or the bonk aint no damned fun when you're a long assed way from home.

It does have more charm that way. You're not going so fast that you don't have time to appreciate it. In a car they might as well be green lamp posts.

You should bring enough food to eat about 100 calories per hour and a pint of fluids (more if it's hot) or sports drink every hour. You must be riding a super clunky bike. I'm twice your age and can do 50 in about 3 hours.

So you can ride 200+ miles a day? I'm not a competitive cyclist, that's not the point. You can't maintain such a speed. A good touring cyclist realistically aims for 75 miles in a day, which I could have accomplished. Going at a faster pace strains you and ultimately slows you down in the long run. Don't let your age be an excuse, many of the best endurance athletes are old women, for instance, the 64 year old who recently swam the Florida straight.

This is my bike:

bikID-10568-600-600.jpg

It is German, and it cost 500 euros. That's all I know about it.

Trust me....I've ridden in Mississippi before. I used to ride with some club guys from Jackson when I lived in Blytheville, AR. I know what you're talking about. Those can be dangerous conditions if your body isn't acclimated to that kind of heat and humidity.

If you're going to stay out longer than an hour or two I'd suggest buying a camel back and bring some extra coin to stop and buy some food and drink along the way. Dehydration and/or the bonk aint no damned fun when you're a long assed way from home.

Well, here's the thing. There were three rest stops along the way, I ate at the first, didn't eat at the second because I was still full from the first, and skipped the third because it looked like such a hick place in the middle of the woods. I was starving at this point, but my pride knows no bounds.

Well, I recorded my recent ride on strava cycling, and I apparently went through a segment others have went through as well. I was fourth, out of for. And what I did on 15 minutes, the other three apparently did in 5. Then again, I suppose they may have been counting my uphill against their downhill. Our maybe I just suck, whatever, you've ruined all the fun Mott and I hate you.

Well, here's the thing. There were three rest stops along the way, I ate at the first, didn't eat at the second because I was still full from the first, and skipped the third because it looked like such a hick place in the middle of the woods. I was starving at this point, but my pride knows no bounds.

Never skip a rest stop!! And yeah, do plenty of fluids. And have Gu along - every 10 miles, suck one of them down.

And enjoy the views!

Well, I recorded my recent ride on strava cycling, and I apparently went through a segment others have went through as well. I was fourth, out of for. And what I did on 15 minutes, the other three apparently did in 5. Then again, I suppose they may have been counting my uphill against their downhill. Our maybe I just suck, whatever, you've ruined all the fun Mott and I hate you.

Time will vary depending on hills and weather. Key thing is you did it; who cares how long it took? yea you!

So you can ride 200+ miles a day? I'm not a competitive cyclist, that's not the point. You can't maintain such a speed. A good touring cyclist realistically aims for 75 miles in a day, which I could have accomplished. Going at a faster pace strains you and ultimately slows you down in the long run. Don't let your age be an excuse, many of the best endurance athletes are old women, for instance, the 64 year old who recently swam the Florida straight.

This is my bike:

bikID-10568-600-600.jpg

It is German, and it cost 500 euros. That's all I know about it.
That's a heck of a nice bike. Give it some time and lots of riding. You should be able to ride 50 miles in around 3 hours too. It's not that hard. You don't need to be a competitive cyclist to ride 50 miles in 3 hours. You'd have to do it in two or less. I'll tell you what will help. Get some toe clip pedals. Those will add 3-5 mph to your average speed. They don't cost that much either.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SR-Pedal-wi...130982971899?pt=US_Pedals&hash=item1e7f3189fb

Back