Comrades

That's a heck of a nice bike. Give it some time and lots of riding. You should be able to ride 50 miles in around 3 hours too. It's not that hard. You don't need to be a competitive cyclist to ride 50 miles in 3 hours. You'd have to do it in two or less. I'll tell you what will help. Get some toe clip pedals. Those will add 3-5 mph to your average speed. They don't cost that much either.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SR-Pedal-wi...130982971899?pt=US_Pedals&hash=item1e7f3189fb

clipless pedals are best, actually, better than toe clips (once you get used to them and stop falling over at stop signs) But for a recreational cyclist, 50 miles should take at least 3 hours, probably more like 4.

After lots of riding, on an absolutely flat course, I did 16 miles an hour during an Oly triathlon. Yes, there are lots of cyclists faster than that. But to do 50 miles in 2 hours or less is way too fast for a recreational cyclist, especially if there are hills.

Panda did great. Keep it up!!

I Just bought my nephew a bike as an early Christmas present. I wanted to get it for him when he could still ride it and before it gets to cold.

Asset_164130

I Just bought my nephew a bike as an early Christmas present. I wanted to get it for him when he could still ride it and before it gets to cold.

Asset_164130

I'm sure he'll enjoy it. I like pure road bikes myself - but it depends what type of riding you're doing as to what is the best bike.

clipless pedals are best, actually, better than toe clips (once you get used to them and stop falling over at stop signs) But for a recreational cyclist, 50 miles should take at least 3 hours, probably more like 4.

After lots of riding, on an absolutely flat course, I did 16 miles an hour during an Oly triathlon. Yes, there are lots of cyclists faster than that. But to do 50 miles in 2 hours or less is way too fast for a recreational cyclist, especially if there are hills.

I think he may have meant clipless. The terminology is somewhat confusing due to the fact that you clip into clipless petals.

Well, here's the thing. There were three rest stops along the way, I ate at the first, didn't eat at the second because I was still full from the first, and skipped the third because it looked like such a hick place in the middle of the woods. I was starving at this point, but my pride knows no bounds.
Get a couple of baggies. Put fig newtons in one, trail mix in the other. Eat about one fig newton or a handful of trail mix every half hour and wash it down with a good drink. Water is the key. Get a camelback.

Oh yea....if you don't have the balls to walk into a Mississippi biker bar wearing lycra and ask for some water.......well then you aint half the man I thought you are.

Well, I recorded my recent ride on strava cycling, and I apparently went through a segment others have went through as well. I was fourth, out of for. And what I did on 15 minutes, the other three apparently did in 5. Then again, I suppose they may have been counting my uphill against their downhill. Our maybe I just suck, whatever, you've ruined all the fun Mott and I hate you.
It's not a competition dude....Rome wasn't built in a day. Go out and ride.

Now that I've investigated it a bit, it appears the brakes aren't adjusted right and are rubbing up against the rear wheel. Well - that'll lower your speed quite a bit, I imagine. I thought I had fixed this problem earlier, apparently it came back.

Oh absolutely clippless pedals are better, but they cost more and you have to buy the cleats. You can get a set of toe clips about $25 to $30. They're more versatile. You can ride with tennis shoes. Which makes more sense when you're commuting and you can go 90% as fast as you could with clipless pedals.

Asset_164130
He should challenge the cold to a war, and kick it's ass. Nice bike, btw. I wish I would've gotten such a sweet bike when I was a kid. I had never even ridden further than three miles before this month, then my uncle have me this sweet touring bike after he road all the way from Huntsville on it.

I agree...3 to 4 hours would be about right.

True....but that was sort of my point. Those sort of speeds are for serious cyclist.

Yea dude, don't let me rain on your parade.....you still did 50 miles in a single day. Most people couldn't do 10. Congrats man. Nice ride!

I'm sure he'll enjoy it. I like pure road bikes myself - but it depends what type of riding you're doing as to what is the best bike.
He's 9. He's not ready for a road bike yet. He still likes running over curbs, stump jumping and ditch hopping at his age. This will be a good bike to transition him to road bikes. He'll be able to ride way faster than he could on his department store bike.

I think he may have meant clipless. The terminology is somewhat confusing due to the fact that you clip into clipless petals.
Different way of looking at it. Our generation we thinking of clipless as "no toe clips". Toe clip pedals were the norm in cycling from the turn of the 20 century till around 1985.

Oh absolutely clippless pedals are better, but they cost more and you have to buy the cleats. You can get a set of toe clips about $25 to $30. They're more versatile. You can ride with tennis shoes. Which makes more sense when you're commuting and you can go 90% as fast as you could with clipless pedals.

I would probably buy clipless, but in my current situation I have to bum off my dad for anything that expensive. He already refused to but me panniers, so I had to go searching for the cheapest shoddiest panniers I could. If they're only 30 bucks, I could probably afford them myself.

Now that I've investigated it a bit, it appears the brakes aren't adjusted right and are rubbing up against the rear wheel. Well - that'll lower your speed quite a bit, I imagine. I thought I had fixed this problem earlier, apparently it came back.
Oh holy shit! I feel bad for you.....if you did 50 miles with a break rub?Oh dude.....that sucks! Look at the bright side.....you got a great work out! :)

You're talking about Watermark though.

If I have to ride across America at 8 miles per an hour, goddammit, I will. As it is, I think the cause of my abysmal speed was probably the fact that I was constantly braking the whole way. I'll fix the problem tomorrow and see what good it does. If it was the problem, oh well, good exercise.

Hmm, is this not a pure road bike?
Oh....you mean your bike? Well yes. It's a type of road bike known as a commuter. For riding around town....commuting to work or school.....weekend rides, etc. It's supposed to be a compromise between fast and versatile. You will have no problems maintaining speeds between 15 and 20 mph on this bike once you get into shape....and if you ride every day.....that won't take long...bout a month. Then you have it's versatility. That's a sweet bike rack and it's set up so you can ride it wearing street cloths or in a riding kit. It's a nice bike. You might want to buy a lock. Lots of Republicans down where you live. ;)

If I have to ride across America at 8 miles per an hour, goddammit, I will. As it is, I think the cause of my abysmal speed was probably the fact that I was constantly braking the whole way. I'll fix the problem tomorrow and see what good it does. If it was the problem, oh well, good exercise.
There's the right attitude and hell yea it affected your speed! LOL Probably cut in about half.

Back