Comrades

He should challenge the cold to a war, and kick it's ass. Nice bike, btw. I wish I would've gotten such a sweet bike when I was a kid. I had never even ridden further than three miles before this month, then my uncle have me this sweet touring bike after he road all the way from Huntsville on it.
That is truly a sweet present from your uncle. Make use of it. It's a lot of fun and it's a great way to get into shape.

Oh....you mean your bike?

Nah, I meant his bike, but your information here is pretty useful as well. To me, the picture you posted looked like a road bike, I couldn't tell the scale and I guessed it has narrow, road bike-ish wheels.

Well yes. It's a type of road bike known as a commuter. For riding around town....commuting to work or school.....weekend rides, etc. It's supposed to be a compromise between fast and versatile. You will have no problems maintaining speeds between 15 and 20 mph on this bike once you get into shape....and if you ride every day.....that won't take long...bout a month. Then you have it's versatility. That's a sweet bike rack and it's set up so you can ride it wearing street cloths or in a riding kit. It's a nice bike. You might want to buy a lock. Lots of Republicans down where you live. ;)

Yeah, you can tell it's sort of a compromise, built for carrying heavy loads, it's also equipped with wheels that seem to be a compromise between the thick wheels on mountain bikes and the narrow wheels on most road bikes.

My uncle left me with another bike a while back, a thousand euro Bergamont Evolve 5.0 mountain bike, but the derailleur on it broke a while back. I don't do much in the way of mountain biking, though, I prefer to stick to the road.

He's 9. He's not ready for a road bike yet. He still likes running over curbs, stump jumping and ditch hopping at his age. This will be a good bike to transition him to road bikes. He'll be able to ride way faster than he could on his department store bike.

Absolutely, for a kid, it will be a great bike!! He'll have a great time!

And for kids, toe clips are better due to not needing special shoes.

Still remember when we found a Terry small enough for my stepdaughter, though; she switched from a kid's mountain bike to the Terry road bike - she was SO happy! made it much easier to keep up with the rest of us!

I would probably buy clipless, but in my current situation I have to bum off my dad for anything that expensive. He already refused to but me panniers, so I had to go searching for the cheapest shoddiest panniers I could. If they're only 30 bucks, I could probably afford them myself.
I think I might have an extra pair I can send you. I'll check in my garage later tonight.

I did 40 miles the day before yesterday, 50 miles yesterday, and 20 miles today, so more like 110 miles with a brake rub.
LOL Well just think how much more fun it will be to ride when you've fixed the problem. :)

Do you have a tool kit yet? Ya know, to carry spare tubes, tire levers, patche, bike tool, etc?

Nah, I meant his bike, but your information here is pretty useful as well. To me, the picture you posted looked like a road bike, I couldn't tell the scale and I guessed it has narrow, road bike-ish wheels.

Yeah, you can tell it's sort of a compromise, built for carrying heavy loads, it's also equipped with wheels that seem to be a compromise between the thick wheels on mountain bikes and the narrow wheels on most road bikes.

My uncle left me with another bike a while back, a thousand euro Bergamont Evolve 5.0 mountain bike, but the derailleur on it broke a while back. I don't do much in the way of mountain biking, though, I prefer to stick to the road.
Sell it on ebay and buy a road bike.

Absolutely, for a kid, it will be a great bike!! He'll have a great time!

And for kids, toe clips are better due to not needing special shoes.

Still remember when we found a Terry small enough for my stepdaughter, though; she switched from a kid's mountain bike to the Terry road bike - she was SO happy! made it much easier to keep up with the rest of us!
Cannondale has always been pretty good about having lines for petite women.

LOL Well just think how much more fun it will be to ride when you've fixed the problem. :)

Do you have a tool kit yet? Ya know, to carry spare tubes, tire levers, patche, bike tool, etc?

I do have some tools, just not.com an entire set. Couldn't repair a flat either, I'd just have to call someone. It's on my to do list.

I do have some tools, just not.com an entire set. Couldn't repair a flat either, I'd just have to call someone. It's on my to do list.
Yea you'll want to do that and not find out the hard way when you get a flat or break a chain 20 miles from no where. Had to learn that one the hard way myself.

Yea you'll want to do that and not find out the hard way when you get a flat or break a chain 20 miles from no where. Had to learn that one the hard way myself.

If you only do bike trails those things are unnecessary. SOmeone will always fix it for you. I know you're going to think I'm a borderline retard, but I picked my bike up from a repair a couple of weeks ago, and realized they had let my seat too far up. After about an hour it was really becoming an issue. I checked it out and realized that, embarrassingly, I couldn't figure out how to adjust it. (i know, I know). So I rode for about another 15 minutes and then it just got too uncomfortable, it was hurting me, so I had to do the thing. The thing is where you get off your bike and stare at it with your head tilted. This was my best time yet, this is completely true, it was literally under one minute, about 30 seconds, some guy comes peddling along, stops immediately, "is something wrong?". And he fixed it in about a minute.

Just a little tip for Watermark.

If you only do bike trails those things are unnecessary. SOmeone will always fix it for you. I know you're going to think I'm a borderline retard, but I picked my bike up from a repair a couple of weeks ago, and realized they had let my seat too far up. After about an hour it was really becoming an issue. I checked it out and realized that, embarrassingly, I couldn't figure out how to adjust it. (i know, I know). So I rode for about another 15 minutes and then it just got too uncomfortable, it was hurting me, so I had to do the thing. The thing is where you get off your bike and stare at it with your head tilted. This was my best time yet, this is completely true, it was literally under one minute, about 30 seconds, some guy comes peddling along, stops immediately, "is something wrong?". And he fixed it in about a minute.

Just a little tip for Watermark.
Naaa....if that had been me or Watermark we would have stood there till dark. ;)

This has been an interesting thread. I am nearly mechanically handicapped I guess. It's really bad. But as a point of pride I have really wanted to take one of those bike repair classes that good bike shops give. I just haven't gotten around to it. I really don't know if it would help, that's how bad I am. But until and if I ever get better, the head-tilt is classic, and that damn move always works, every time. Do you know why? It's because you look slightly puzzled and they can't pass up an opportunity to mansplain!

Back