Comrades

Sleeping outside is easy when you're drunk. Whenever I go camping, I rarely even use my sleeping bag. Hell, I've slept outside my tent more than a couple times (also invest in a Thermocell to repel insects).

I would feel so exposed, the sleeping bag makes me feel protected, lol

Last edited:
Well, I'm planning a bike ride sometime this week up to my brother in Starkville, 200 miles away. I'm planning to make one century (one hundred mile bike ride) up to Bienville national forest, a convenient midpoint where I will sleep, and another century up to my brother the next day. This will prepare me for my eventual trip across the nation.

Pretty ambitious at your level of biking, but what the heck - you're young, right? you can handle it!

Good luck.

ps - LOVE the story about camping outside your mom's! Yes, it's hard to rough it when comfort is so close....

Love camping in general; but hard to do when the house is right there...

I had also wanted to bike to the straits of Magellan, which is quite a but more ambitious, but I'd need some way to hop over northern Mexico, which is not such a safe place for unaccompanied bicyclists. And I don't have an international cell phone!

Well, I raised my seat height and moved my foot position from between the heel and the arch to the ball of the foot, and took a short 10 mile bike ride. I was able to average 12 mph, and achieve 25 mph in bursts. I'll get faster with time, for now I'm going to concentrate on pulling off longer endurance routes.

Well, I raised my seat height and moved my foot position from between the heel and the arch to the ball of the foot, and took a short 10 mile bike ride. I was able to average 12 mph, and achieve 25 mph in bursts. I'll get faster with time, for now I'm going to concentrate on pulling off longer endurance routes.

@Trinity: Do you guys realize that WM has just become the enemy?!!?

#Axe to grind

I had also wanted to bike to the straits of Magellan, which is quite a but more ambitious, but I'd need some way to hop over northern Mexico, which is not such a safe place for unaccompanied bicyclists. And I don't have an international cell phone!
I've always wanted to do the San Francisco to Atlantic City ride. Plan B is to ride from International Falls, MN to Nawrlins.

Don't go too nuts. You only want to start off with reasonable distances per week and gradually increase your total distance each weak by around 10%. Other wise you risk injury.

Don't go too nuts. You only want to start off with reasonable distances per week and gradually increase your total distance each weak by around 10%. Other wise you risk injury.

I'm already at 50, I only need about 20-30 more miles to make long distance touring possible. And I got up to 50 in a single month, that's not so bad.

My father suggested taking me in his boat down to the Yucatan peninsula, where I could start my journey down to South America. Maybe not to the Straits of Magellan, but somewhere down there. I had also considered sailing my fathers old, smaller boat down to Cuba and biking Cuba with my comrades. But if there were any storm on the way, I would die. So, that mostly leaves me in boring old America.

@Trinity: Do you guys realize that WM has just become the enemy?!!?

#Axe to grind

I was always the enemy from within. Come on, let's not act like all of us didn't know this the whole time. It was a beautiful thing we had together, but all things must come to an end. One day, we'll all be rotting. And when we die, then we're dead.

#Axe to grind

My father suggested taking me in his boat down to the Yucatan peninsula, where I could start my journey down to South America. Maybe not to the Straits of Magellan, but somewhere down there. I had also considered sailing my fathers old, smaller boat down to Cuba and biking Cuba with my comrades. But if there were any storm on the way, I would die. So, that mostly leaves me in boring old America.

Quit being a pussy. Glorious Cuban mamacitas await!

Back