Drugs can help you understand philosophy

William James’s chemically induced excursions into the introcosm of his own consciousness served as a complement to his serious, sober work as a philosopher and psychologist.

In fact, it was his philosophical peers’ enthusiasm for the writings of Hegel that originally compelled him to inhale nitrous gas. “He was instinctively repelled by Hegelian dogma,” Jay writes, “its pompous insistence on absolute truth, its sterile abstractions, its lofty disdain for the pragmatic and the specific.”

But under the intoxicating influence of various gasses, James found himself experientially closer to that truth. Nitrous oxide, James would write, “made me understand better than ever both the strength and weakness of Hegel’s philosophy.”

https://thebaffler.com/latest/brains-on-drugs-semley

If you have time use nitrous oxide to understand this bullshit it hardly seems worth it.

The sad thing is: You think anyone cares what you think of them. Try to be better.

I don't believe that poster said it because they thought you cared. I think they said it because they don't think much of that other poster. It's not really complicated. It's just a statement of fact.

Back