Economy added 169k jobs in August as the recovery grinds along

Compared to what was happening when Pres Obama took office, I'll take the numbers we're seeing now.

But yes, it could have been faster/better with a bigger stimulus, with his jobs bill, or with any effort by repubs to focus on job creation instead of making rich people richer.

Repub politicians don't care; they hope for bad jobs numbers, because they think it will help them.

Last edited:
Compared to what was happening when Pres Obama took office, I'll take the numbers we're seeing now.

But yes, it could have been faster/better with a bigger stimulus, with his jobs bill, or with any effort by repubs to focus on job creation instead of making rich people richer.

Repub politicians don't care; they hope for bad jobs numbers, because they think it will help them.

EXACTLY!

The only way they can discredit the steadily dropping unemployment numbers seen during Obama's administration is if they attempt to make the case it's just not happening fast enough...and when they do that they come off as bitter, angry partisan hacks grousing over the improved economy.

It's in the second paragraph of the OP.

It's in the other Washington Post article I posted above.

It's in the third paragraph of this AP article below.

http://www.sfgate.com/business/article/US-employers-add-169K-jobs-rate-falls-to-7-3-pct-4791756.php

Do you know something these people don't?

Zap, I'll be the first to admit I'm far from an expert on this stuff. I have a general idea of how the unemployment rate is calculated and I can't get into the intricate details. So I'm open to what you have to say. Why are all these writers wrong here?

EXACTLY!

The only way they can discredit the steadily dropping unemployment numbers seen during Obama's administration is if they attempt to make the case it's just not happening fast enough...and when they do that they come off as bitter, angry partisan hacks grousing over the improved economy.

Why did Dung say the numbers weren't good enough? Is he now an angry partisan right wing hack?

I posted numbers for you and I said nothing about Obama and you didn't respond to them (the employment numbers of the past year, you questioned the methodology of the unemployment rate). I didn't bring Obama up.

The jobless rate came down because of the number of people who left the workforce. That's not a good thing.

'The nation has averaged 148,000 new jobs a month for the last three months. The number was 160,000 for the last six months, and 184,000 a month over the last year.'

That is not a number that is rising.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...the-headline-this-was-a-very-bad-jobs-report/

Many boomers are coming to the conclusion that looking for work is more stress than they need and they might as well retire. That has at least something to do with the number of people leaving the workforce.

Then you employ fuzzy math to try and pretend the number of unemployed is not rising.

If we added 169,000 new jobs in August then that's 169,000 people who are newly employed and that certainly is an increase from the number of employed one month prior.

Many boomers are coming to the conclusion that looking for work is more stress than they need and they might as well retire. That has at least something to do with the number of people leaving the workforce.

Then you employ fuzzy math to try and pretend the number of unemployed is not rising.

If we added 169,000 new jobs in August then that's 169,000 people who are newly employed and that certainly is an increase from the number of employed one month prior.

With respect, I don't think you quite understand how the unemployment rate is calculated. Do you think the WaPo and AP writers are all conspiring to use 'fuzzy math' with some agenda behind it?

maybe you right wingers should stop harming the economy and let it recover

You're totally batshit, desh.....is there ANYTHING that Obama and the Democrats are responsible for seeing as they have been in the presidency for 5 years and have
controlled the Senate for 7 years and the House for some years on and off.....anything ?

Like I said I'm not an expert on this but here's what I know for your knowledge. The workforce participation rate today is at it's lowest point since 1978 at 63.2%. So let's say in October the job numbers come out for September that show the same 169,000 new jobs created. Let's also say that a large number of people have decided to reinter the workforce. So even though we have positive job growth for September the fact that a larger number wants to work again would cause the unemployment number to rise.

So just saying 169,000 jobs were created does not automatically mean the unemployment rate is going to drop.

Retiring ?.....Is that why disability and food stamps and welfare are at an all time high ? Setting records....

This is from the Huffington Post. Are they also using fuzzy math Zap?

""But the drop in unemployment was due largely to people giving up looking for work, which takes them out of the official labor force, so they're no longer counted as unemployed. The labor-force participation rate, the percentage of working-age people either working or looking for work, dropped to 63.2 percent from 63.4 percent in July, the lowest rate since 1978.""

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/06/august-jobs-report-unemployment-rate_n_3879325.html

With respect, I don't think you quite understand how the unemployment rate is calculated. Do you think the WaPo and AP writers are all conspiring to use 'fuzzy math' with some agenda behind it?

With respect...you were trying to use "national monthly averages" to somehow claim that fewer people are finding work now than were a month ago, six months ago or last year.

Retiring ?.....Is that why disability and food stamps and welfare are at an all time high ? Setting records....

Hey, if I thought I could retire, live off my 401k and SSN and at the same time augment with some food stamps, I would be RIGHT THERE.

Not EVERYONE collecting food stamps is a retiree, but some are.

Are you really going to claim that the only reason unemployment came down is because of people who left the workforce?

It's in the second paragraph of the OP.

It's in the other Washington Post article I posted above.

It's in the third paragraph of this AP article below.

http://www.sfgate.com/business/article/US-employers-add-169K-jobs-rate-falls-to-7-3-pct-4791756.php

Do you know something these people don't?

See what you did there? Above you make the claim that people leaving the workforce are the ONLY reason unemployment numbers are coming down...

This is from the Huffington Post. Are they also using fuzzy math Zap?

""But the drop in unemployment was due largely to people giving up looking for work, which takes them out of the official labor force, so they're no longer counted as unemployed. The labor-force participation rate, the percentage of working-age people either working or looking for work, dropped to 63.2 percent from 63.4 percent in July, the lowest rate since 1978.""

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/06/august-jobs-report-unemployment-rate_n_3879325.html

Down here however, you now claim that people leaving the workforce are LARGELY responsible.

With respect...you were trying to use "national monthly averages" to somehow claim that fewer people are finding work now than were a month ago, six months ago or last year.

Not following. Like I said I am open to being shown that I am wrong But please show me where all these writers are wrong on the calculation of the unemployment rate and the other set of numbers showed less number of new people are finding work than six or 12 months ago. I'm not sure what you are debating about them.

Hey, if I thought I could retire, live off my 401k and SSN and at the same time augment with some food stamps, I would be RIGHT THERE.

Not EVERYONE collecting food stamps is a retiree, but some are.

Spoken like a tried and true Democrat.....thanks for the honesty....I'd prefer to leave food stamps for the truly needy and pay my own way....

See what you did there? Above you make the claim that people leaving the workforce are the ONLY reason unemployment numbers are coming down...

Down here however, you now claim that people leaving the workforce are LARGELY responsible.

Oh fun with semantics

Spoken like a tried and true Democrat.....thanks for the honesty....I'd prefer to leave food stamps for the truly needy and pay my own way....

Of course, only about 2 people in the world would meet your definition of "truly needy" and one of them is a three yr old kid with leprosy, blind, and all his limbs amputated, who lives in Kenya.

Oh wait! foreigner...doesn't qualify. Guess there's only 1 person left...somewhere... who would qualify

Back