Florida's Schedule

I don't think you understand how much it costs to host a major college football game. Why would the Rose Bowl want to host a game where they lose a few million dollars, just so they can make it back on the bigger game? It would be self-defeating to go along with that, and this is why they don't.

I am not saying you don't have a good idea, or that I disagree with you, I am simply explaining why it doesn't happen. I once had a very similar idea, to use the lower-tier bowls as a playoff, and the four major bowls would serve as regional quarterfinals. From that, you would have four teams who would play to decide a national champion. The lower-tier bowls would certainly benefit from having a top-notch pairing, as opposed to the #2 CUSA team vs. the #2 Sun Belt team. The major bowls would have important significance again, and not just be for show.

But the problem then becomes the number of games played. These are college kids, not pros, they have exams to take, they have a life outside of football. The universities aren't going to pay for them to fly all over the country playing football games at the end of the season. It's really easy for us to sit back and say they should do this or that, but the complications and logistics are something we don't have to deal with and others would.
My solution is more radical and therefor probably not realistic. Get rid of the bowl games all together other than the low end preChristmas ones. Have a 16 team play off. All Div IA conference champs get an automatic bid. Fuck Notre Dame let them join a conference. That leaves 4 at large teams. Take the 16 teams and seed them (either by poll or RPI ratings as in baskeball). Match #1 vs #16, #2 vs #15, etc. The highest seeded team gets home field advantage through each round of the playoff.

an alternative to that would be to give automatic bids to the Big 6 conference champs and have 10 at large teams with rules that a non Big 6 can get an automatic qualification if them meet certain criteria (win conference, x number of wins and x rating in the polls, and no special rules for Noter Dame.). This probably a bit more realistic and fair.

Imagine Alabama playing Texas for the national championship game in Tuscaloosa? Wouldn't that be something!

Or Boise State playing Cinderella and running the table by making it to the championship game?

Last edited:
I can see what you are saying about the financials, but I disagree that they would lose money.

As for the student athletes being overworked, consider that NCAA basketball teams play as many as 40 games in a single season. Granted they carry fewer people on road trips, but they also bring in far fewer dollars. Adding 6 games to the football schedule wouldn't create a hardship.
Dixie's right (damn! I said that twice in one week!)
The NCAA would make more money with a tournament. The Bowls and their host cities wouldn't.

My solution is more radical and therefor probably not realistic. Get rid of the bowl games all together other than the low end preChristmas ones. Have a 16 team play off. All Div IA conference champs get an automatic bid. Fuck Notre Dame let them join a conference. That leaves 4 at large teams. Take the 16 teams and seed them (either by poll or RPI ratings as in baskeball). Match #1 vs #16, #2 vs #15, etc. The highest seeded team gets home field advantage through each round of the playoff.

an alternative to that would be to give automatic bids to the Big 6 conference champs and have 10 at large teams with rules that a non Big 6 can get an automatic qualification if them meet certain criteria (win conference, x number of wins and x rating in the polls, and no special rules for Noter Dame.). This probably a bit more realistic and fair.

Imagine Alabama playing Texas for the national championship game in Tuscaloosa? Wouldn't that be something!

Or Boise State playing Cinderella and running the table by making it to the championship game?

Mott, you just gave me a hot flash!

Mott, you just gave me a hot flash!
I'll do you one better. Now imagine Bama winning that game? The whole state would be shut down the next day as a holiday. I'd be wild!

I know in 2002 when OSU won about 1/4 of my co-workers didn't show up for work the next day...which was odd cause I was living in North Carolina at the time. Be that as it may, if OSU was to play in a for real national championship game in the Shoe and won...hell they'd have to shut down the state for one great big party.

I'll do you one better. Now imagine Bama winning that game? The whole state would be shut down the next day as a holiday. I'd be wild!

I know in 2002 when OSU won about 1/4 of my co-workers didn't show up for work the next day...which was odd cause I was living in North Carolina at the time. Be that as it may, if OSU was to play in a for real national championship game in the Shoe and won...hell they'd have to shut down the state for one great big party.

Winning a Nat Championship in Tuscaloosa?? Ok, we went beyond hot flash to a hardon.
lmao

That's what I"m talking about. First time they gotta close down a state for a day for celebrating winning a NCG then people will say "Rose What?"

The last NC we won was in '92. After watching the Sugar Bowl and our beat down of Miami, I went down on the Strip (and area of bars and stores next to campus). Or I tried to. You couldn't drive within 5 blocks, and couldn't walk on Univ Blvd. The entire world had come down to celebrate.

Have to stop at "get rid of the bowl games altogether." First, I think fans like the bowl pageantry and tradition, and would never go for that... Second, I think there are too many MILLIONS made by the cities who host the bowls to ever go along with that.

Basically what you are wanting is an NFL type playoff bracket, and no bowl games. You're right, it's never going to happen.

What a waste! Yes, I would love for Alabama and Texas to play for the NC, but not in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Tuscaloosa doesn't even have a major commercial airport, people would have to fly into Birmingham and then figure out how to get to Tuscaloosa, 59 miles down the highway. The stadium is not as big as the Georgia Dome or Superdome, fewer luxury skyboxes, etc... you would squander a real money-making opportunity to have such a game in Tuscaloosa.

Boise State in the Championship Game? Here's the problem, God love the Boise State fans, I know they are proud as heck of their team, but let's be honest... how many of them would travel across the country to see their team play in such a game? As many as Ohio State or USC would send? I doubt it, they just don't have that large of a fan base. You are still wanting to naively look at this from a pure football fan standpoint, and you are failing to understand the MONEY behind it, and how every aspect of it is about the MONEY, not about pleasing you, the consummate football fan.

IF you have an 8 game playoff. 30 teams will argue they are better than #9.
BCS is fine.
I agree. That's why it has to be a 16 game playoff. BCS sucks. I'd almost rather go back to the traditional bowl match ups. At least that way I know for sure the Rose Bowl will be the Rose Bowl. The BCS has all ready undermined those traditional match ups.

The BCS has us talking about it all year keeping interest up.
It's much more intense than the BB tourny with 64/in.

It ain't changing soon.
The best answer is to have the second rate conferences that are afraid a loss might kill them to go ahead and man up with a championship game. It will earn them millions and tons of much sought after respect.

The BCS has us talking about it all year keeping interest up.
It's much more intense than the BB tourny with 64/in.

I'd argue that. I love the NCAA BB Tournament. If the NCAA had a Football tournament it would generate Super Bowl level of interest.

It ain't changing soon.
The best answer is to have the second rate conferences that are afraid a loss might kill them to go ahead and man up with a championship game. It will earn them millions and tons of much sought after respect.
Do the math Topper. You need 12 Teams to do that. Other than Notre Dame there aint a whole lot of programs in the Midwest that are Big 10 caliber that aren't all ready in a conference. If the Big East were to die, maybe Pitt or WV. The pickens are slim. Ya'll wouldn't have a tournament either if the old SW conference hadn't of died and the SEC picked up Arkansas and South Carolina jumped ship from the ACC in 91.

When The Big 10 expanded in 90 they invited both PSU and ND. The intent was to create an east division that included PSU and OSU and a west division that included ND and michigan with a conference championship game to be played the first weekend in December.

ND screwed it all up by deciding to go it alone. They decided that they didn't want to share revenue with the conference (a decision that's come back to bite them in the ass.).

I have mixed emotions about ND joining the Big 10. It certainly would add prestige and difficulty to winning the conference. On the other hand I really don't want the mackeral snappers in our conference.

It's further complicated in that a School must meet certain academic criteria in order to join the Big 10. Considering the geographical requirements for membership the only colleges that meet both are Notre Dame, Pitt and Iowa St. Notre Dame aint interested, Iowa St all ready belongs to the Big 12 but Pitt belongs to the Big East which has lost a lot of prestige in atheletics in recent years. Given Pitts history in football and it's Academic standing, that's the team I'd like to see join the Big10.

To give an idea how rigerous the Academic criteria for Big10 membership is only two SEC teams would be qualified to join the Big 10. Florida and Vanderbilt.

Last edited:
March madness is awesome and so would a football tourny.
You missed the point, the talking and interest before the tourny would dissappear and hurt the college game.

March madness is awesome and so would a football tourny.
You missed the point, the talking and interest before the tourny would dissappear and hurt the college game.
That's completely over stated. I didn't lose interest in OSU when they lost to USC and kissed a BCS NCG good bye! Hell no. There's still the Big 10 Championship and the Rose Bowl or in the case of the tournament, you still have to win your conference or earn an at large bid and there would only be 8 or 16 slots, not 64 like basketball.

still missing the point, after OSU lost you still debated polls endlessly.
have 8 game tourney and it kills the enthusiasm.
That and being 1 of only 2 double BCS champions I kinda like the bcs. LOL

still missing the point, after OSU lost you still debated polls endlessly.
have 8 game tourney and it kills the enthusiasm.
That and being 1 of only 2 double BCS champions I kinda like the bcs. LOL
Again, I think that's over stated. You'd still have the polls and those would be used for seeging a playoff.

personally I'd like to see an 8 seeded playoff using the current bowls as the starting point.
Most people would prob agree that even though we'd argue a bit who's 8th not many 9th's and below are beating the eventual champion.
But the big fairness points are many 3 thru 6's would.

Back