Fred Thompson - TRIAL ATTORNEY

"who is now seeking the Republican presidential nomination, briefly provided Mr. Culver with advice about the suspects’ case, billing the firm for 3.3 hours of his time. "

Ok, so he billed 3.3 hours... which means he probably had about 15 minutes in real time of providing advice. Even if it was a real 3.3 hours... this is ridiculous to even try to make this an issue. It will likely blow up on whomever tries to make it an issue.

"The firm was hired to provide guidance on the tense questions surrounding where the two men should be tried, Mr. Fleischaker said, and Mr. Thompson’s background as a former prosecutor, as well as his government relations experience — he had close ties to senior officials in the first Bush administration — “gave him insight on jurisdictional issues such as that.”"

Ok... so the firm was hired to provide guidence on WHERE they should be tried?

Doesn't matter, do you think that people pay attention to the details?
All they will hear is that he represented the Lybian terrorists. The damange is done!

Right, Thompson was telling him all those many hours not to take the case, keep on believing that. My mother always told me, you are judge by the company you keep. If Edwards gets a black eye for working for a lender whose practices may not have been good for Americans, then Thompson gets a black eye for counseling the counselor of those who blew up a plane full of people!

In fairness, I stated that before I actually googled the article... since that devilish Darla didn't provide the whole thing for us. After reading the whole article it became a joke to think this was an issue at all.

3.3 hours discussing jurisdiction, the bar needs to investigate that billing!

In fairness, I stated that before I actually googled the article... since that devilish Darla didn't provide the whole thing for us. After reading the whole article it became a joke to think this was an issue at all.

Your fellow Americans will not share your sentiment, I am sure.

Well, I can respect that. How is Thompson too far right for you socially?

As Damo mentioned, he is being backed and pushed into running by the Bush supporters... especially the evangelicals. They do not want Rudy or Mitt.

Specifically the two that come to mind are his votes against including gays when it comes to hate crime definitions and his stance that penalties for drug offenders should be increased. I know there are more, but off the top of my head those are two of the social issues I have a problem with...

He provide advice to an attorney who was providing advice to the terrorists attorneys on JURISDICTION issues.

so yeah, I don't this this dog will hunt.
No WHAT he did was counsel and attorney who was counsel to the terrorists on how to avoid trial in the US. That is the ONLY jurisdictional question that would be relevant to the two suspects. Thompson's advise HAD to be on how to keep the trial out of the US to avoid the death penalty. So tell me that dog won't hunt. Thompson worked with their attorney to AVOID their execution for blowing up the plane over Scotland.

Oh I did provide the whole article, but on another thread, sorry.

But I think you are wrong about this being an issue.

I just have this feeling you are going to owe me a lot of drinks by the time this election is over.

Your fellow Americans will not share your sentiment, I am sure.

I am sure you are correct if the information is presented in the same manner that Darla provided it. But I think if you tell them it was 3.3 billable hours (which we all know is lawyer speak for 5 minutes) and that the advice was simply on jurisdiction... THEN I think most Americans would say who gives a rats ass.

Oh I did provide the whole article, but on another thread, sorry.

But I think you are wrong about this being an issue.

I just have this feeling you are going to owe me a lot of drinks by the time this election is over.

THAT is my diabolical plan. I get you thinking I owe you all these drinks, which you must then consume... etc...

:burn:

;)

No WHAT he did was counsel and attorney who was counsel to the terrorists on how to avoid trial in the US. That is the ONLY jurisdictional question that would be relevant to the two suspects. Thompson's advise HAD to be on how to keep the trial out of the US to avoid the death penalty. So tell me that dog won't hunt. Thompson worked with their attorney to AVOID their execution for blowing up the plane over Scotland.

So liberals should rejoice and pronounce Thomspon their hero.... I mean they are against the death penalty in general right?

Seriously though, if he was only providing advice on jurisdiction, then who cares? They were still tried for their crimes. One of whom is still in jail now for that crime. Justice was served. Does anyone here really want to act as though they would have had a fair trial here in the US?

This is an attempt to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

So liberals should rejoice and pronounce Thomspon their hero.... I mean they are against the death penalty in general right?

Seriously though, if he was only providing advice on jurisdiction, then who cares? They were still tried for their crimes. One of whom is still in jail now for that crime. Justice was served. Does anyone here really want to act as though they would have had a fair trial here in the US?

This is an attempt to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Well, let's say they wouldn't have gotten a fair trial here right? So then, Thompson is running on the "Fair Trials for Terrorists!" platform? Because you know, Bin Laden wouldn't get a fair trial here either. Oh I would love to be making these commercials! "Elect Thompson President and Every Terrorist Will Get a Fair Trial!"

Mincemeat.

Even if I agreed with you that they deserved a fair trial, which actually I do. It doesn't matter. This is a campaign.

The point is if Edwards had advised this guy on how to keep his clients from being executed every rightie in the US would be screaming about how he kept REAL justice from being done.

As Damo mentioned, he is being backed and pushed into running by the Bush supporters... especially the evangelicals. They do not want Rudy or Mitt.

Specifically the two that come to mind are his votes against including gays when it comes to hate crime definitions and his stance that penalties for drug offenders should be increased. I know there are more, but off the top of my head those are two of the social issues I have a problem with...

You are the kind of conservative I can understand.

The point of all this is, as long as you support overturning Roe, pushing the queers back in the closet, and trying to reinstate prayer in school, the Right will forgive every indiscretion you commit as a republican even if they have screamed about Dems doing the EXACT SAME THING. The right wants ANYONE that can impose their view on personal freedom, and the restraint there of.

The point of all this is, as long as you support overturning Roe, pushing the queers back in the closet, and trying to reinstate prayer in school, the Right will forgive every indiscretion you commit as a republican even if they have screamed about Dems doing the EXACT SAME THING. The right wants ANYONE that can impose their view on personal freedom, and the restraint there of.
That's BS, the number one thing that most social Conservatives I've talked to like about Thompson is that unlike Guillani and Romney (the current poll leaders) Thompson is strongly against gun control.

Back