APP - GOP consistent on race since its inception: equality.

The kind of liberal screwy reasoning that takes a fact "unqualified voters" and turns it into a racial inequality discussion is a large part of the problem we have with getting reasoned debate.

I went to our local TEA party protest yesterday and on the way tuned into a progressives morning program to hear what they, the libs, were saying. This particular guy was playing sound bites from different east coast ralley's and then parsing them against straw man arguments. One such argument was TEA party folks are hypocrites because by and large they want big government programs for things like; military and border enforcement yet protest against big government programs like health care. I loved it when a caller articulated what I was thinking: "Excuse me, but you have a false argument- TEA party folks are against "unconstitutional" big government. Border protection and military protection ARE Constitutional!" It's these kinds of false arguments that convince me liberals lack reasoning skills.

Liberals do lack reasoning skills. That's why they based their arguments on emotion: "you must hate children".

The kind of liberal screwy reasoning that takes a fact "unqualified voters" and turns it into a racial inequality discussion is a large part of the problem we have with getting reasoned debate.

I went to our local TEA party protest yesterday and on the way tuned into a progressives morning program to hear what they, the libs, were saying. This particular guy was playing sound bites from different east coast ralley's and then parsing them against straw man arguments. One such argument was TEA party folks are hypocrites because by and large they want big government programs for things like; military and border enforcement yet protest against big government programs like health care. I loved it when a caller articulated what I was thinking: "Excuse me, but you have a false argument- TEA party folks are against "unconstitutional" big government. Border protection and military protection ARE Constitutional!" It's these kinds of false arguments that convince me liberals lack reasoning skills.

This is exactly the side of the Tea Party that I agree with and want to see succeed. And the nonsense spouted by the media against them is largely untrue and libelous.

This is exactly the side of the Tea Party that I agree with and want to see succeed. And the nonsense spouted by the media against them is largely untrue and libelous.

I went to the same tax day protest last year. We had about the same size crowd...in spite of it being a bit more cloudy. The crowd was made-up of largely the same kinds of folks who were feeling the same way about spending as last year. The difference a year later is that they are more angry. NOT hateful, but, imo, righteously fed the fuck up with congress, Obama, and the seeming arrogance of elite politicians.

To add insult to injury, WA state has dems in power who just piled on more taxes that will strangle business and hurt the average joe. The worst part of this new taxation is it came on the heels of an expired policy that held politicians to a 2/3s majority before they could increase taxes...it was like they ran to the trough when this happened to gorge themselves! But guess what? Many of these new taxes are not to balance the budget or even help pay down our state deficit...NOPE-just like DC they will fund NEW SPENDING with it! More egregious still? What did not expire was the law that any new taxes that did not have a 2/3s majority had to go to the voters in the next election---our esteemed governor bypassed this law by calling it emergency funding!!!!

I live in a state that democrats have had the majority power in for decades....THAT may truly be over! I think this is going to play out with dems bleeding seats that most people never thought could happen in such a progressive state as ours...

The People are ready to say enough!

The reason black people dont vote republican is because republicans hate black people to vote at all.

I went to the same tax day protest last year. We had about the same size crowd...in spite of it being a bit more cloudy. The crowd was made-up of largely the same kinds of folks who were feeling the same way about spending as last year. The difference a year later is that they are more angry. NOT hateful, but, imo, righteously fed the fuck up with congress, Obama, and the seeming arrogance of elite politicians.

To add insult to injury, WA state has dems in power who just piled on more taxes that will strangle business and hurt the average joe. The worst part of this new taxation is it came on the heels of an expired policy that held politicians to a 2/3s majority before they could increase taxes...it was like they ran to the trough when this happened to gorge themselves! But guess what? Many of these new taxes are not to balance the budget or even help pay down our state deficit...NOPE-just like DC they will fund NEW SPENDING with it! More egregious still? What did not expire was the law that any new taxes that did not have a 2/3s majority had to go to the voters in the next election---our esteemed governor bypassed this law by calling it emergency funding!!!!

I live in a state that democrats have had the majority power in for decades....THAT may truly be over! I think this is going to play out with dems bleeding seats that most people never thought could happen in such a progressive state as ours...

The People are ready to say enough!

This is why I am in favor of the Fair Tax Act. Then if politicians want to raise taxes, they have to raise them on every person in the US. Thats tough on their reelection plans.

Thread's about race not queers, so yes you did.

Can that be nominated for most racist and homophobic reply of the month? For honesty sake, thread is about attaching some negative meaning to a political party, a meaning that exists only in the mind of the thread starter. It demonstrates a reading of race that makes no sense, and a use of language for fellow human beings that is pejorative at best, hateful at worst.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." Richard Feynman

If thats true, then the dems have worked for equality for gays, and the GOP has fought it tooth & nail.

So both parties get kudos and jeers for their work for equality.
What SM is doing is so intellectually dishonest that anyone with the remotest understanding of American history has to scoff. He's trying to equate the history of southern conservatism with the modern Democratic party. Everything he said about the Democrats is also exactly true when applied to southern conservatives. I don't think he's kidding anyone but himself.

What SM is doing is so intellectually dishonest that anyone with the remotest understanding of American history has to scoff. He's trying to equate the history of southern conservatism with the modern Democratic party. Everything he said about the Democrats is also exactly true when applied to southern conservatives. I don't think he's kidding anyone but himself.
I think you're being honest with yourself Mott, just uninformed and ignorant, just as I've pointed out in the past:

'The Founders weren't Christians, they were deists', along with 'After 1964 civil rights legislation Republicans and Democrats switched positions on race' are staples of the Liberal interpretation of history, written in modern textbooks and taught by the national teacher's unions. Mott is simply parroting what he learned in school and did not question.

There's nothing "conservative" about racism, and we conservatives have been fighting what became the Southern Democrats since we compromised with them writing the Constitution, Article I Section 2 Clause 3 (changed by the 14th Amendment) and Article IV Section 2 Clause 3 (deleted with the 13th Amendment).

You should review your history.

I suppose you are going to tell me about the opposition from Southern Democrats, which is well documented. Frankly I don't understand how those Southern racists like George Wallace could be in the same party as Kennedy and Johnson but politics breeds strange bedfellows.

It was passed during a Dem's administration, but the GOP was responsible for pushing the legislation thru and forcing it to be recognized.

Many of the southern dems opposed it vehemently. A perfect example would be George Wallace's stand on the UA steps, protesting the admission of black into the Univ. of Alabama.

I am well aware of all that, but there is no way you can really call any of those southern racists, Democrats in any real sense of the word.

I suppose you are going to tell me about the opposition from Southern Democrats, which is well documented. Frankly I don't understand how those Southern racists like George Wallace could be in the same party as Kennedy and Johnson but politics breeds strange bedfellows.
That's why you should review your history. The Democrat Party has a long sordid history of racism, not just the subversive kind we see today that George W. Bush called "soft bigotry". I just call it bigotry.

That's why you should review your history. The Democrat Party has a long sordid history of racism, not just the subversive kind we see today that George W. Bush called "soft bigotry". I just call it bigotry.

And your hatred of gays is just as much bigotry as was the racism of which you speak.

He's trying to Pretend that those same Southern Conservative racist who were Democrats prior to the 1964 Civil Rights act are not the same southern conservative racist who switched over the Republican party after the legislation was enacted. That way, as a partisan, he can blame his bogey man, Democrats, instead of putting the blame where it squarely belongs on southern conservatives.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caging_list#1980s

1980s
In 1981 and 1986 the Republican National Committee (RNC) sent out letters to predominately African-American neighborhoods. When tens of thousands of them were returned undeliverable, the party successfully challenged the voters and had them deleted from voting rolls. Due to the violation of the Voting Rights Act, the RNC was taken to court. Its officials entered a consent decree which prohibited the party from engaging in anti-fraud initiatives that targeted minorities or conducting mail campaigns to "compile voter challenge lists."[5]

[edit] 2004 US Election
BBC journalist Greg Palast obtained an RNC document entitled "State Implementation Template III.doc" that described Republican election operations for caging plans in numerous states. The paragraph in the document pertaining to caging was:

V. Pre Election Day Operations New Registration Mailing
At whatever point registration in the state closes, a first class mailing should be sent to all new registrants as well as purged/inactive voters. This mailing should welcome the recipient to the voter rolls. It is important that a return address is clearly identifiable. Any mail returned as undeliverable for any reason, should be used to generate a list of problematic registrations. Poll watchers should have this list and be prepared to challenge anyone from this list attempting to vote.[6][7]

Shortly before the 2004 election, Palast also obtained a caging list for Jacksonville, Florida, which contained a high number of African Americans and registered Democrats. The caging list was attached to an email which a Florida Republican party official was sending to RNC headquarters official Tim Griffin. [7] [8] [9]
The Republican National Committee sent letters to predominately urban minority areas in Ohio. When 35,000 letters were returned as undeliverable, the party employed poll watchers to challenge the voters. Voting rights groups challenged the RNC in a case that went to the Supreme Court, but the RNC was not stopped from challenging those voters. Similarly, the RNC sent out 130,000 letters in Philadelphia hoping to cage voters there. Philadelphia is a city with a majority African American population that votes heavily Democratic. The Republicans were attempting to cage votes by people who were likely to vote for the Democratic candidates. [10]
In the Ohio court challenge, the RNC submitted a caging list that targeted urban and African-American areas in and around Cleveland.[11]
Journalists found evidence that the Republican National Committee (RNC) attempted to use caging to suppress votes in five states in the 2004 US presidential election. For example, in New Jersey RNC officials used caging lists to challenge absentee ballots and absentee ballot requests.[11]
[edit] 2008 US Election
As noted earlier, the Republican Secretary of State in Michigan was found purging voters from voting rolls when voter ID cards were returned as undeliverable. In the court challenge, the federal judge ordered the state to reinstate the voters.[12] The judge ruled that the state's actions were in violation of the NVRA. His decision noted that there was no way to prevent qualified voters from being disfranchised as their cards may be returned as undeliverable due to postal error, clerical error, inadvertent routing within a multi-unit dwelling, and even simple misspelling or transposition of numbers in an address. [13]
In December 2007, Kansas GOP Chair Kris Kobach sent an email boasting, "[T]o date, the Kansas GOP has identified and caged more voters in the last 11 months than the previous two years!"[14]
Republicans sent out fundraising mailers to voters in five Florida counties: Duval, Hillsborough, Collier, Miami-Dade and Escambia, with 'do not forward' on the letters. The mailers included inaccurate Voter ID numbers and ostensibly confirmed with voters they were registered as Republican. The RNC declined to discuss the mailer with the St. Petersburg Times. A representative denied the mailing had anything to do with caging. "Two top Florida elections officials, both Republicans, faulted the GOP mailing, calling it "confusing" and "unfortunate" because of a potential to undermine voter confidence by making them question the accuracy of their registrations." Some officials expressed concern that the RNC would try to use a caging list derived from the mailers.[15]
In Northern California reports of voter caging emerged when letters marked 'do not forward' were sent to Democrats with fake voter ID numbers. The description of the letters matches the letters that were sent out in Florida.[16] See the caging letter that was sent out here. Many details on the letters were false; for example, the letters referred to a Voter Identification Division but RNC personnel said they had no such department. The RNC did not return calls from a news organization regarding the letters.
On October 5, 2008 the Republican Lt. Governor of Montana, John Bohlinger, accused the Montana Republican Party of vote caging to purge 6,000 voters from three counties which trend Democratic. These purges included decorated war veterans and active duty soldiers.[17]
The New York Times found in its review of state records that unlawful actions in six states led to widespread voter purges, which could have impact on the 2008 elections. Some of the actions were apparently the result of mistakes by the states' handling voter registrations and files as they tried to comply with a 2002 federal law related to running elections. While neither party was singled out, because the Democratic Party registered more new voters this year, Democratic voters were more adversely affected by such actions of state officials.[18]

if people no longer live where they are registered, is it wrong to think they should no longer be registered there?....how did that become "racist"?.......

The reason black people dont vote republican is because republicans hate black people to vote at all.

ridiculous......I would be perfectly happy to let any black person who wanted to vote Republican vote......I am equally happy if white people who vote Democrat don't vote.......you think we don't like people because they are black.....the truth of the matter is we don't like people because they are liberals.....

you don't think New Englander ivy league Democrats can be racist?......

Democrats have been consistent too, but for inequality. First it was slavery, then KKK terrorism, then segregation, now affirmative action.

The Democrat Party: keeping racism alive for the sake of their power.

you know, SM....I've noticed not one of them has dared touch the point about affirmative action being racist.....

you know, SM....I've noticed not one of them has dared touch the point about affirmative action being racist.....

That is probably because affirmative action is, by definition, racist. It is just a socially acceptable racism. It may have had its place at one time. But it should not have lasted as long as it has.

PMP, you gave me neg rep for my comments about diversion while I diverted this away from racial issues. The neg rep is no biggie. But what you claim is diversion is my discussion of equality. And this is my interpretation of what the OP was about.

He's trying to Pretend that those same Southern Conservative racist who were Democrats prior to the 1964 Civil Rights act are not the same southern conservative racist who switched over the Republican party after the legislation was enacted. That way, as a partisan, he can blame his bogey man, Democrats, instead of putting the blame where it squarely belongs on southern conservatives.

Mott you're becoming so predictable.

[04-14-2010, 02:04 PM ]'The Founders weren't Christians, they were deists', along with 'After 1964 civil rights legislation Republicans and Democrats switched positions on race' are staples of the Liberal interpretation of history, written in modern textbooks and taught by the national teacher's unions. Mott is simply parroting what he learned in school and did not question.

Back