APP - Greed is a mental illness.

Greed is a mental illness.

It's only a mental illness if there is profit to be made from its cure. When the pharmaceutical companies develop a new drug that can alter behaviour we call greed and private practioners see an opportunity, then greed becomes a mental illness. In good times greed is not a mental illness, it is a favourable attribute.

Are we still animals then, driven only by base instincts?

false dichotomy alert!!

Are we animals? Animals are driven by their urges. the urge to gather is part of how an animal survives. No construct of man can deny that humans are designed to hunt and gather.

I don't think you could prove that. I sometimes donate days or whole weekends of my time to needy families, but there are no records kept of such.
Are you suggesting that only conservatives keep such records and report them?

false dichotomy alert!!

Are we animals? Animals are driven by their urges. the urge to gather is part of how an animal survives. No construct of man can deny that humans are designed to hunt and gather.

What percentage of modern humans subsist through hunting/gathering?

we all do. We hunt for work and gather currency to exchange for our needs and wants.

Go back to barter and you get rid of greed.

Plain semantics. If you are going to use a phrase to justify your stance, you shouldn't change the context in which the phrase is generaly accepted.

Still don't see any proof of your claim.
Read it and weep:

-- Although liberal families' incomes average 6 percent higher than those of conservative families, conservative-headed households give, on average, 30 percent more to charity than the average liberal-headed household ($1,600 per year vs. $1,227).

-- Conservatives also donate more time and give more blood.

-- Residents of the states that voted for John Kerry in 2004 gave smaller percentages of their incomes to charity than did residents of states that voted for George Bush.

-- Bush carried 24 of the 25 states where charitable giving was above average.

-- In the 10 reddest states, in which Bush got more than 60 percent majorities, the average percentage of personal income donated to charity was 3.5. Residents of the bluest states, which gave Bush less than 40 percent, donated just 1.9 percent.

-- People who reject the idea that "government has a responsibility to reduce income inequality" give an average of four times more than people who accept that proposition.
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2008/03/conservatives_more_liberal_giv.html

As I said, I don't think you can prove your statement. I don't beleive your proof. Others may, I do not.

Back