Guns - Uses, best for each, and favorites.

C

Cancel3

This might not be popular with some of the folks here. But then no topic will be popular with everyone.

I am a recreational shooter, a hunter, and an unabashed gun buff.

So I thought I would see how many others here like guns or hunting as well.

There are several basic categories of firearms. They tend to be grouped by their useage. Different guns work well for hunting, self defense, target shooting, and plinking. {plinking is basically informal target shooting}

Under hunting you would have several categories. Around where I live deer hunting is the most popular big game. But wild hogs are also plentiful enough to hunt.

Under Hunting, I would suggest Big Game, Small Game, Varmint, Upland birds and Waterfowl are the main areas of interest (although I am not sure where turkey fits in the scheme so I will make that a category too)

For big game in the southeast, you are mainly talking deer. I currently use a 7mm Remington Magnum, but I would say that the .270 Winchester or the 30-06 are the best all around whitetail rifles. I know hunters who use everything from a .243 to a .300 Win Mag, but the two I listed above will do all you need and then some. The venerable 30-30 (and some other lever action rifles) are good in heavy woods, but lack the range for occasional long shots. My personal favorite for whitetail deer would be a Ruger No.1A Light Sporter in .270. The same guns would work for Mule deer or even elk (although the smaller caliber would require VERY careful shot placement). But if you are going to go after bigger animals (elk, moose ect), I would think you'd want a bigger gun, with the 30-06 being a minimum.

For wild hogs the same guns can work well from a stand. If you are going to stalk them on the ground you want more impact. While a deer will run away, a hog may or may not run. If he doesn't run and has any size, you don't want a small caliber round. I have a Marlin 45-70 Gov't that will do the trick on virtually any feral swine I may come across in the woods. Its handy and quick to shoot. And with the new pointed rounds, its a good 100 yard rifle.

Small game is mainly rabbit, squirrel, and the like. I'm not a fan of hunting behind or over dogs, so rabbit and squirrel are my two main prey. Both are easily taken with a .22LR. I know the fans of the .17s are bragging about what that bullet can do, but I like a gun I can shoot a lot and not break the bank. I have a Ruger 10/22 that is hard to beat in quick shooting. Ruger also makes a 77/22 that is a bolt action. It feels like an ultra light big game gun. Kimber also makes an awesome bolt action .22.

Varmint hunting gets a little more specialized in its weaponry. Depending on the animal, you may be making shots out to 400 or 500 yards. I am not out west, so my ranges run much smaller. The most I will stretch out is about 300 yards. But that better be a windless day and a target that is standing still. I have hunted coyote by calling them in. I had a Ruger Mini-14 for this, but sold it. (can you tell I am a fan of Bill Ruger?) I never got the accuracy I expected out of it. But the .223 is an excellent round out to about 250 yards or so. My next varmint rifle will be an Thompson Center Encore PH in 22-250. The 22-250 and the .220 Swift are the hottest commercially available rounds for most makers. The Weatherby .224 Magnum gets a few more fps, but not enough to cope with the rifles that I find butt-ugly (personal taste). Coyotes are common enough to hunt in most places, and the farmers and ranchers will usually let you hunt for them on their land. Call it a public service. For crows a smaller round will do, but you need to call them in close. Those out west get the benefit of prairie dogs. But I doubt that will ever be my ball of wax.

Not being an upland bird hunter or a waterfowler, I hope someone else will pick up this part.

For turkey you just need a 12 guage shotgun and you have the weaponry. Getting a turkey to you is the hard part.

For self defense, a good pump shotgun is hard to beat. The only drawback is the inability to make precise shots. I have a Springfield 1911A1 in .45ACP that is one of my favorite guns. The design may be 100 years old, but its still one of the most reliable and potent defensive guns around. I bought a Mil-Spec model and have done some tweaking to it. I replaced the trigger, the mainspring, and the grips. I also bought 3 Wilson Combat magazines. The magazines only hold 8, which I have been told is too few. But I have 3, and if I haven't solved the problem in 24 rounds then having a dozen more probably isn't the answer either. Good ammo is critical. Luckily, the advances in ammunition have made good bullets better and invented to truly excellent ones. Good ammunition is the only reason I think the .380 and the 9mm are good defensive rounds.

My wife has a Ruger .357 around the house when I am out of town. Not loaded with magnums, but with .38 Specials. The gun has 1 shotshell and 5 MagSafe rounds in it. The first one doesn't have to be accurate, but will stop the advance of anyone short of a drugged out freak. The next 5 rounds will pretty much stop anyone. Another plus to the MagSafe is that they fragment on impact, so there is very little worry about over penetration.

Ok, I'll stop my sermon now.

Any other shooters or hunters in the house?

I am a shooter. Don't hunt though. .50 Cal Barett makes a mess of squirrels.

I also have a .45 colt auto. it was gone thru before I bought it. Not sure what was done but it shoots nice. KInda hard to carry concealed unless you have a gut to flop down over it though.

It just mostly hangs on the wall on a belt with a couple of extra clip pouches. It is my need a gun gotta run gun.

Yeah, a 50 cal makes a mess out of anything, including an engine block.

Your .45 is hard to carry concealed? Is it a high capacity model? Mine is slimmer than most full sized semi-autos. I carry mine in a high ride holster and anything I wear that hangs straight will cover it fairly well.

The .45ACP is a great "need a gun gotta run" gun. Always works and stops what you shoot.

:cof1:

Yeah, a 50 cal makes a mess out of anything, including an engine block.

Your .45 is hard to carry concealed? Is it a high capacity model? Mine is slimmer than most full sized semi-autos. I carry mine in a high ride holster and anything I wear that hangs straight will cover it fairly well.

The .45ACP is a great "need a gun gotta run" gun. Always works and stops what you shoot.

:cof1:

Umm it is warm weather here and I do not wear a jacket or such.

And at 180 lbs a .45 is a bit noticeable.
The .45 has the full sized frame but I do not ;)

I also have a ltiile .380 Tarus for concealed carry, on the 2 or 3 occasions I carry concelaed.

Sounds like a good concealed carry gun. My wife wants a Bersa Thunder.

I am 6'2" and 240lbs, so I guess my frame would be considered full sized.

I saw an interesting method of carrying a concealed weapon at the last gun show. Its an organizer with a section for the handgun. Its an 8.5x11 ring binder with a calendar, To Do list pages and the typical organizer stuff. But there is an added bonus.

Since I travel in my work, I have thought it would be a convenient way to carry. Most of our work is in states that accept my CCW permit.

You mentioned the 50 cal. I am curious about them, but not willing to shell out that kinda cash. I have seen guys making 1,000 yard target hits. Do you do the long range target shooting?

Naah the only .50 cal I have is a muzzle loader. I have shot .50 cal brownings and a Barett a couple of shots though. a local gun nut bought a barret. 5k or so I think.

I used to be sniper rated, but that was many years ago.

A smokepole shooter, huh? I keep telling myself I should try it, but just haven't.

$5k is a lotta money. I can only think of the list of other guns I could buy with that same amount. And its kinda hard to plead self-defense if the other person was half a mile away.

Being sniper rated is no small thing. It may have been a while ago, but what you learned is still there.

Lots of people don't realize how hard it is to shoot well at distance.

A smokepole shooter, huh? I keep telling myself I should try it, but just haven't.

$5k is a lotta money. I can only think of the list of other guns I could buy with that same amount. And its kinda hard to plead self-defense if the other person was half a mile away.

Being sniper rated is no small thing. It may have been a while ago, but what you learned is still there.

Lots of people don't realize how hard it is to shoot well at distance.

It is a groove kinda thing. As soon as you touch off the shot you know how well you did without looking at the target.

Hummm.........

I sold just about everything after I retired from LE...all I have left is a S&W model 66 357mag...with Treasury rounds..and a classic Thompson 1937 sub 45cal...with clip and drum...I'm not into hunting but am thinking about doing the collector thingee...my first choice would be a rolling block 45-70 original Indian Wars cavalry issue...they are really expensive though 3-6 K in very good to mint condition...I keep hinting to my kids(B-day Christmas)...however they keep saying 'In your dreams'...:cof1:

There is a lot of history in firearms, but you will have to spend a good chunk of change on a rolling block 45-70. I'd love an old Sharps rifle, or a Henry 1860 model. But the budget says no.

A Thompson 1937 huh? Neat gun you have there. I am already a fan of the .45, and there is something very cool about the Thompson. But they cost a pretty penny as well. For the price of the Auto Ordnance version, I can buy a Bushmater Varminter and a quality scope, or a Springfield M1A Match rifle. But the Thompson is certainly a sweet gun to own.

The S&W .357 is a good one to have, if thats your only handgun. Between .38 Special and .357 Magnum, you have rounds that will do just about anything.

What are Treasury Rounds? I am guessing heavy stopping power, but I'm not sure of that.

There is a lot of history in firearms, but you will have to spend a good chunk of change on a rolling block 45-70. I'd love an old Sharps rifle, or a Henry 1860 model. But the budget says no.

A Thompson 1937 huh? Neat gun you have there. I am already a fan of the .45, and there is something very cool about the Thompson. But they cost a pretty penny as well. For the price of the Auto Ordnance version, I can buy a Bushmater Varminter and a quality scope, or a Springfield M1A Match rifle. But the Thompson is certainly a sweet gun to own.

The S&W .357 is a good one to have, if thats your only handgun. Between .38 Special and .357 Magnum, you have rounds that will do just about anything.

What are Treasury Rounds? I am guessing heavy stopping power, but I'm not sure of that.

LE version of mag-safe(hollow points)...hitting power limited penetration!

This might not be popular with some of the folks here. But then no topic will be popular with everyone.

I am a recreational shooter, a hunter, and an unabashed gun buff.

So I thought I would see how many others here like guns or hunting as well.

There are several basic categories of firearms. They tend to be grouped by their useage. Different guns work well for hunting, self defense, target shooting, and plinking. {plinking is basically informal target shooting}

Under hunting you would have several categories. Around where I live deer hunting is the most popular big game. But wild hogs are also plentiful enough to hunt.

Under Hunting, I would suggest Big Game, Small Game, Varmint, Upland birds and Waterfowl are the main areas of interest (although I am not sure where turkey fits in the scheme so I will make that a category too)

For big game in the southeast, you are mainly talking deer. I currently use a 7mm Remington Magnum, but I would say that the .270 Winchester or the 30-06 are the best all around whitetail rifles. I know hunters who use everything from a .243 to a .300 Win Mag, but the two I listed above will do all you need and then some. The venerable 30-30 (and some other lever action rifles) are good in heavy woods, but lack the range for occasional long shots. My personal favorite for whitetail deer would be a Ruger No.1A Light Sporter in .270. The same guns would work for Mule deer or even elk (although the smaller caliber would require VERY careful shot placement). But if you are going to go after bigger animals (elk, moose ect), I would think you'd want a bigger gun, with the 30-06 being a minimum.

For wild hogs the same guns can work well from a stand. If you are going to stalk them on the ground you want more impact. While a deer will run away, a hog may or may not run. If he doesn't run and has any size, you don't want a small caliber round. I have a Marlin 45-70 Gov't that will do the trick on virtually any feral swine I may come across in the woods. Its handy and quick to shoot. And with the new pointed rounds, its a good 100 yard rifle.

Small game is mainly rabbit, squirrel, and the like. I'm not a fan of hunting behind or over dogs, so rabbit and squirrel are my two main prey. Both are easily taken with a .22LR. I know the fans of the .17s are bragging about what that bullet can do, but I like a gun I can shoot a lot and not break the bank. I have a Ruger 10/22 that is hard to beat in quick shooting. Ruger also makes a 77/22 that is a bolt action. It feels like an ultra light big game gun. Kimber also makes an awesome bolt action .22.

Varmint hunting gets a little more specialized in its weaponry. Depending on the animal, you may be making shots out to 400 or 500 yards. I am not out west, so my ranges run much smaller. The most I will stretch out is about 300 yards. But that better be a windless day and a target that is standing still. I have hunted coyote by calling them in. I had a Ruger Mini-14 for this, but sold it. (can you tell I am a fan of Bill Ruger?) I never got the accuracy I expected out of it. But the .223 is an excellent round out to about 250 yards or so. My next varmint rifle will be an Thompson Center Encore PH in 22-250. The 22-250 and the .220 Swift are the hottest commercially available rounds for most makers. The Weatherby .224 Magnum gets a few more fps, but not enough to cope with the rifles that I find butt-ugly (personal taste). Coyotes are common enough to hunt in most places, and the farmers and ranchers will usually let you hunt for them on their land. Call it a public service. For crows a smaller round will do, but you need to call them in close. Those out west get the benefit of prairie dogs. But I doubt that will ever be my ball of wax.

Not being an upland bird hunter or a waterfowler, I hope someone else will pick up this part.

For turkey you just need a 12 guage shotgun and you have the weaponry. Getting a turkey to you is the hard part.

For self defense, a good pump shotgun is hard to beat. The only drawback is the inability to make precise shots. I have a Springfield 1911A1 in .45ACP that is one of my favorite guns. The design may be 100 years old, but its still one of the most reliable and potent defensive guns around. I bought a Mil-Spec model and have done some tweaking to it. I replaced the trigger, the mainspring, and the grips. I also bought 3 Wilson Combat magazines. The magazines only hold 8, which I have been told is too few. But I have 3, and if I haven't solved the problem in 24 rounds then having a dozen more probably isn't the answer either. Good ammo is critical. Luckily, the advances in ammunition have made good bullets better and invented to truly excellent ones. Good ammunition is the only reason I think the .380 and the 9mm are good defensive rounds.

My wife has a Ruger .357 around the house when I am out of town. Not loaded with magnums, but with .38 Specials. The gun has 1 shotshell and 5 MagSafe rounds in it. The first one doesn't have to be accurate, but will stop the advance of anyone short of a drugged out freak. The next 5 rounds will pretty much stop anyone. Another plus to the MagSafe is that they fragment on impact, so there is very little worry about over penetration.

Ok, I'll stop my sermon now.

Any other shooters or hunters in the house?

I have several guns and have shot skeet before, never really went hunting. I'm not much into guns, not much of a southerner. I guess that's the case with us modern kids raised by the TV.

A magnum, from what I've heard, is scary as hell to shoot, but it will pop a good sized hole in someone. We don't have any guns specifically for self defense, and it would be absurd for me to think that I could go and and load my shotgun without anyone hearing me (my dad might have one hidden somewhere, never stopped to ask). But we live hidden out in the woods and there hasn't been any random murder in this county pretty much while I've been alive. Things are probably different to more citiful folk.

I live in a rural area in the south, and there have been some violent crimes in our county. Most have been related to meth labs or sales.

A magnum is really just a way of saying "larger". Its more gimmick than measurement. And there are small magnums, like the .22 magnum or the .32 magnum.

If the gun is not loaded, the chances of it being any good for self defense are slim.

I live in a rural area in the south, and there have been some violent crimes in our county. Most have been related to meth labs or sales.

A magnum is really just a way of saying "larger". Its more gimmick than measurement. And there are small magnums, like the .22 magnum or the .32 magnum.

If the gun is not loaded, the chances of it being any good for self defense are slim.

Well, like I said, my dad probably has something hidden up in here. I probably couldn't shoot someone, he wouldn't even blink. ;)

I was a pacifist many years ago. I swore I couldn't shoot anyone.

Then I got married and had kids. It changes things more than you know.

How about blowing them up ?
Or watching them burn alive with napalm ?
Or up close and personal with a blade ?

It all sucks.

Ahh not so bad I can deal with em now. But yes it was hell. Perhaps why I don't believe in hell. already been there.
the really scary part is that a handful of people got to liking the killing.

Back