Guns - Uses, best for each, and favorites.

I have .38 shotshells that I load for the first round in the .357 mag that my wife keeps handy while I am on the road.

The .22 was already in my Jeep. Thats the main reason I used it.

I have guns handy in my home and workshop, but seldom carry one with me.
On the snakes, if they leave me alone I do the same with them.

I agree with you about leaving snakes alone. Except when its a venomous species that tends to be aggressive. And even moreso when that snake is in an area where my daughter plays and her friends play.

Then the snake is gonna die.

Had I been canoeing or whatever and seen the cottonmouth just on a log, I would have left it alone. But not when its that close to home.

I tend to carry one with me on most occasions. Sometimes its a .22 rifle in my Jeep. Sometimes its a .45 in my briefcase. I travel solo a lot for my job, and never sure what the areas are like.

A lot of it depends on where I am going and how I am getting there.

Indeed..........

I agree with you about leaving snakes alone. Except when its a venomous species that tends to be aggressive. And even moreso when that snake is in an area where my daughter plays and her friends play.

Then the snake is gonna die.

Had I been canoeing or whatever and seen the cottonmouth just on a log, I would have left it alone. But not when its that close to home.

Sidewinders are the most agressive of the US snake species...along with moccasines.... Western/Eastern Diamond Backs are more likely to avoid human contact, but it is a good idea to remove them from your homestead area...

During the winter I wear a shoulder holster under a jacket or hoodie.

During other seasons, I usually I keep my Ruger tucked in my backpack.

I'm not supposed to conceal-carry on campus, but I don't particularly care.

Epi, did you participate in the "Empty Holster Protest" that was held a while back?

Epi, did you participate in the "Empty Holster Protest" that was held a while back?

Yeah I did. It was huge on my campus.

Our state legislature has considered and killed two bills that would have allowed students to concealed carry, and I participated in the protests that followed that as well.

One bill allowed all students who had CC permits to carry, which would have been ideal for me. The other allowed only ROTC students and professors to carry.

I really don't think we're going to win the battle of allowing CC on campus though. My school is as pro-gun as any in the country, and even our student body isn't completely behind it.

Still, it's nice to hear it being discussed.

Then vote out.............

Yeah I did. It was huge on my campus.

Our state legislature has considered and killed two bills that would have allowed students to concealed carry, and I participated in the protests that followed that as well.

One bill allowed all students who had CC permits to carry, which would have been ideal for me. The other allowed only ROTC students and professors to carry.

I really don't think we're going to win the battle of allowing CC on campus though. My school is as pro-gun as any in the country, and even our student body isn't completely behind it.

Still, it's nice to hear it being discussed.

The University Board that is liberal...and replace with conservatives...or take it to the Supreme Court...challenging University Board members ignoring state laws pertaining to allowing CC permits to be armed!

The University Board that is liberal...and replace with conservatives...or take it to the Supreme Court...challenging University Board members ignoring state laws pertaining to allowing CC permits to be armed!

It's not just the University's board it is a state law that forbids concealed carry on campus.

Obviously we would need the support of the Board too, though. But that's a struggle well down the road.

Right now the votes aren't there in the state legislature to overturn the ban on concealed carry on campuses. Maybe someday though.

Okay.............

It's not just the University's board it is a state law that forbids concealed carry on campus.

Obviously we would need the support of the Board too, though. But that's a struggle well down the road.

Right now the votes aren't there in the state legislature to overturn the ban on concealed carry on campuses. Maybe someday though.

Take up the matter with your state legislators...this is a oxymoron...state law requires a cc permit to carry...then says where you can carry?..I understand most state requirements on not in bars or while under the influence...how this relates to University restrictions would be a good case to present to legislators or the Supreme Court!...imho

Here there are no firearms allowed on campus, concealed or otherwise.

Same here. Only legit law enforcement officers, and they are supposed to let the office know they are there.

IMO:
Most versatile big game hunting rifle: 30.06
I love the 03/A3 Springfield with match barrel.

Best match rifle for rapid fire marksmanship: M14

Most fun plinking rifle: M1 Carbine

Second most fun plinking rifle (also most affordable): Ruger 10/22

Most fun (and accurate) target shooting handgun: S&W model 29 .44 mag with 8" barrel.
Most fun autoloader: S&W .44 Automag.

Best self-defense handgun: Italian made Baretta 92F 9mm
Best compact self-defense handgun: S&W M&P compact 9mm

Not much experience in the way of scatter guns. Anyone want to suggest a couple?

Back